450s in the woods

Im riding yz40fx at 54yrs of age on single track and yes its a handful, but there are some things you may do to make it more manageable.Get a GYTR tuner and tone down the low end power. You can still get mid and top end hit without the low end pull. A Rekluse will help and it is also tuneable. Lastly, lower the forks to the lowest possible marks in the trees for a tighter turn and make sure your sag is right.

Im riding yz40fx at 54yrs of age on single track and yes its a handful, but there are some things you may do to make it more manageable.Get a GYTR tuner and tone down the low end power. You can still get mid and top end hit without the low end pull. A Rekluse will help and it is also tuneable. Lastly, lower the forks to the lowest possible marks in the trees for a tighter turn and make sure your sag is right.
450fx......sorry
  • Like 1

450fx

450fx......sorry

1 minute ago, 2much2stroke said:
7 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:
What's the definition of 'woods' here? My definition of woods could be completely different from your definition of woods... A 450 in my woods, nope... 

Why?

The terrain is too tight/slow and the bike would be too powerful/heavy 

The terrain is too tight/slow and the bike would be too powerful/heavy 
Called the 80/20 rule ..

80% rider, 20% bike... Sounds like self imposed limitations. You understand that the weight difference between a 250f and 450f around 15-20 pounds...
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Metal621 said:

I mean like single track stuff

There is a lot of variety in "singletrack".

In general the 450 is at the size where the power starts to get counter productive. It may be fun in short bursts, but it loads on the traction issues, it "feels" heavy in the tighter stuff and when traction is premium and the straight is wicked it's more difficult to hit the next corner perfect.

I have some lard-assed fast friends that make it work but even they recognize it's limitations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2much2stroke said:

Called the 80/20 rule ..

80% rider, 20% bike... Sounds like self imposed limitations. You understand that the weight difference between a 250f and 450f around 15-20 pounds...

Well I'm pretty confident I have a pretty good grasp on what my limitations are as a rider, and what bike might work or not work in my backyard... 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 2much2stroke said:

Called the 80/20 rule ..

This is true when you're experience. A better bike (size, suspension, weight, brand,,,,) will make riding easier for the inexperience and this 80/20 is more like 40/60.  Weight difference is only one part of the "feeling" between bore size. Motor mass also add in the weighted feel of the bike.

11 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

I doubt there is 15-20 lbs actual weight difference.

He is correct depending on the model... Between the KTM/Husqvarna line there is maybe less then 5lbs between the 250/350/450. When the Japanese models are compared, the weight difference can jump substantially.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

He is correct depending on the model... Between the KTM/Husqvarna line there is maybe less then 5lbs between the 250/350/450. When the Japanese models are compared, the weight difference can jump substantially.. 

I demo'ed these bikes back to back in that order and I felt a much larger weight difference then what the spec sheet says. Same went for the Yamaha on the FX models.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

I demo'ed these bikes back to back in that order and I felt a much larger weight difference then what the spec sheet says.
It's the gyro forces of the motor from what I've been told. I'm not saying they're not a handful in tight stuff, just that it's possible.