450s in the woods

When i got back into riding, was on the fence on a 250F or 450F, ended up with a '15 WR450F so i could plate it and convert to supermoto on occasions.

HATED that bike. Just too much power ever where and wore me out. Owned it for something like 7 months.

Sold that and got a '17 YZ250F and was much happier.

Sold that after a season and got a '18 Beta Xtrainer. Best bike i've owned to date. Does everything thing i want it to and does it well.

Edited by Squatting_Dog

4 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

It's based entirely on the 125, not like the last few years of the Ktm 200.

thanks, i was too lazy to look it up. Pros-cons from riding the ktm's, the smaller frame makes a lighter feeling and compact bike, like that. Sit down riding put's me back on the thin end of the seat foam, don't like that. 5'10, 32 inseam. Will have to try one out anyway.

WHY DO PEOPLE HATE 450S??[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
LOL sorry I understand most people in this sport are under 6'0 and under 200 pounds. That's great for them
I ride 450s/300s in the woods and have since I got one. Not saying that a 200 or 250 or 350 isn't a amazing bike but at 250+ they simply arnt enough, sorry they're not.
No they're arnt many 450s on the trails cuase there ungodly fast and cause everyone knows that. Who knows the woods riding community is a backwards thought place

On 4/18/2019 at 5:40 AM, Metal621 said:

Just wondering if anyone on here rides a 450 in the woods? And how do you like it?

Define 'woods'

If it is off camber downed tree hopping then no, you don't need or want a 450

If it is goat trails with a flowing pace, then the 450 is just fine.

I ride nothing but 450's and have been for 20 years.

This is the kind of forests I have:

https://vimeo.com/manage/220242416/general     ( Beta 430 RE)

Edited by KRAYNIAL

10 minutes ago, pjblanke916 said:

WHY DO PEOPLE HATE 450S??emoji6.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
LOL sorry I understand most people in this sport are under 6'0 and under 200 pounds. That's great for them
I ride 450s/300s in the woods and have since I got one. Not saying that a 200 or 250 or 350 isn't a amazing bike but at 250+ they simply arnt enough, sorry they're not.
No they're arnt many 450s on the trails cuase there ungodly fast and cause everyone knows that. Who knows the woods riding community is a backwards thought place

At 250+, a 250f/350f or any 2t will be more then adequate... Weight and height are irrelevant... 

• Helpful 1

Just now, pjblanke916 said:
1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:
At 250+, a 250f/350f or any 2t will be more then adequate... Weight and height are irrelevant... 

I beg to differ, but then again I'm a lugger not a fan of revving like crazy

Well most lesser experienced riders are luggers. Gearing is most everything... A 250FX can make short of anything (even with a heavy pilot). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pjblanke916 said:

Oh very nice, I'm a B guy so suppose I am. Not a 250 guy but they are lighter and feel lighter

Jarvis is a lugger. Though he is no Hans Shmid.

edited for spelling 

Edited by Bobatsea
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bobatsea said:

Jarvis is lugged. Though he is no Hans Shmid.

Jarvis doesn't race in environments where revving would see any benefit. Slow technical races where finding traction is optimal, not wheel spin...

Most riders don't rev their bikes, especially in the bush. 

450s have their place, but in tighter more technical terrain, it is very rare to produce lap times or produce data that would show having a 450 would be an advantage over a smaller displacement motorcycle. Bigger is not always better... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Jarvis doesn't race in environments where revving would see any benefit. Slow technical races where finding traction is optimal, not wheel spin...

Most riders don't rev their bikes, especially in the bush. 

450s have their place, but in tighter more technical terrain, it is very rare to produce lap times or produce data that would show having a 450 would be an advantage over a smaller displacement motorcycle. Bigger is not always better... 

Very true statement. But I wasn’t commenting on displacement. Just the fact that lugging or riding lower in the rpm’s isn’t a sign of inexperience. 

Some of the fastest guys I know use very little engine. 

I am not very good. So I usually pin it to win it. 

Edited by Bobatsea

9 minutes ago, Bobatsea said:

Very true statement. But I wasn’t commenting on displacement. Just the fact that lugging or riding lower in the rpm’s isn’t a sign of inexperience. 

Some of the fastest guys I know use very little engine. 

I am not very good. So I usually pin it to win it. 

Lugging isn't necessarily a sign of inexperience.

People regularly say "I don't want a 250f because I don't want to rev it to make power". Most don't rev most bikes regardless of what bike it actually it. 

Jarvis doesn't ride a 450 either...One of the best riders in the world, and can probably choose any bike, doesn't choose a 450...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pjblanke916 said:

BiGgEr hAs To bE BeTtEr
P.s Jarvis shouldn't be questioned fo he is lord

Meh, at best maybe...Jarvis is really only good at one disipline though.

Though past his prime and extremely underrated, David Knight was a considerably better more well rounded rider then Jarvis will ever be. 

• Like 1

Meh, at best maybe...Jarvis is really only good at one disipline though.

Though past his prime and extremely underrated, David Knight was a considerably better more well rounded rider then Jarvis will ever be. 

both got thier strengths and weaknesses I'm sure but I do believe the riders of hard Enduro are the best there is

Sounds like 90% of us are on the same page. I've ridden/raced harescrambles on a KLX450r for the last few years in Oklahoma, Missouri and Colorado. While I absolutely love my bike, it is wasted power in the woods and too heavy to corner worth a flip. My old XR250r isn't in the same universe concerning power but I'm nowhere near as worn out after getting off it as I am when I ride the 450. At this point I've decided to go back to a 2 stroke which will drop 35-45 lbs.