circlip vs bolt counter sprocket ktm 250

Just curious why the CS sprockets are bolt on on the newer bikes vs circlip on the older ones. My 2013 250XC has the clip. It seems to work fine.

• Like 1

Just curious why the CS sprockets are bolt on on the newer bikes vs circlip on the older ones. My 2013 250XC has the clip. It seems to work fine.

That’s a great question. I thought it was just the street legal bikes that had the bolt. My 150 still has the circlip. I do know one thing. Never reuse the washer. It’s sacrificial. They sell a reusable one for $20 or so. A friend had one back out and cause catastrophic damage to both engine and frame.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Mike Sheetz said:

That’s a great question. I thought it was just the street legal bikes that had the bolt. My 150 still has the circlip. I do know one thing. Never reuse the washer. It’s sacrificial. They sell a reusable one for $20 or so. A friend had one back out and cause catastrophic damage to both engine and frame.

They recommend replacing the bolt and washer on the newer bikes. Can get both in a kit for $5 on RMATV

Tokoyo offroad on youtube suggests cleaning up the threads first and removing the factory loctite on the bolt and installing with loctite 243. If you don't clean the threads the bolt can reach the torque spec before bottoming out and keeping the washer from holding as strong as it should 

Edited by Dirt Rider 12345
  • Like 1

It has been said that the sprockets fixed with screw and washer have no axial play while those with circlips have a bit of axial play which isn't good....

Only by hearsay.

• Like 1

It's odd the 4 stroke and 2 stroke have different systems ? They both turn a chain so one system must be better than another ?

I am going to take a stab regarding 2 vs 4 stroke . At a given rpm and power output, the 4 stroke will have a stronger power pulse than a 2 stroke due to it only firing once per stroke. In other words, the 4 stroke will be hammering the output shaft with about twice as much force as the 2 stroke. I assume the bolt and washer limits the wear on the counter shaft vs a circlip on the 4 stroke.

Now why they changed the CS mounting on the later 2 strokes?

Posted (edited)

Clip is lighter, cheaper to manufacture, simpler.  But it won't maintain pressure on the inner collar oring when it gets worn (squashed). Why they are notorious for drooling a little oil, outer seal often blamed.  Kit's usually supply a couple different thickness o ring so you can use one that make the clip easier to install without too much force on the clip. Instead of changing the o ring thickness when fitting up,  I sourced 3 different thickness of clips. So I simply select the one that has a good fit.  the test is to grab you sprocket and see if it wiggles at all, it shouldn't, but you shouldn't have to bang on the clip to get it to seat the groove.  ymmv

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 3

On my 250 I use two o rings then use a socket and a hammer to push the clip into the groove.  My shaft on my 250 is like new from the oil drool.  The shaft and sprocket on my 525 was rusted a lot without the auto lube system and it wasn't even hooked or worn yet.  I had to replace the sprocket the other day because  a tooth was broken off.  I think a rock got in there.