Beta main bearing may go west...

19 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Be interesting to correlate failures against those with and those without oil injection. 

It's no secret that I'm not an OI fan, but in this case my money is on cheap Chinese bearings.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Be interesting to correlate failures against those with and those without oil injection. 

Oh, you're such an instigator! Lol

Although I would definitely be interested investigating that as well, the early information seems to point to cheap bearings as ww mentioned. 

Certainly disconcerting though and frustrating for those experiencing early failures! 

• Like 2

Hey I've seen that video yesterday ! And I've thought immediately at my RR 300 RE 2017 ... I was convinced Beta was using skf ( skf logo everywhere on my bike graphics , so ... ) .

NTN bearings are designed in Japan but assembled in China , come on Beta was expected to use quality bearings at least for crankshaft ...

I'm thinking about rust , I was talking with my father about that ( old school rider from golden ages of enduro ) , he says that it could happen if you ride in very deep water which can pass through silencer or air filter , really hard to push water inside engine just using high pressure washers ( unless you are stupid ) .

Oil injection failure ? It's a possibility , but it doesn't give an explanation to rust .

Faulty flywheel seal ? Mmmm , in that case air could pass from ignition case to crankshaft chamber , so you would notice that bike runs lean , with higher rpm than normal with closed throttle ( happened with my TM , seal was just old so changed it and problem was gone ).

So I think for these problems there are 3 simple reasons :

- Low quality bearings (??)

- Faulty OI

- Water inside engine 

Any feedback from 300 RACE models riders ???

• Like 1

FWIW - A Colorado rider over in the Beta Xtrainer Facebook group recently posted  "What I heard from my dealer was that the original supplier couldn't keep up with demand so the went to a second supplier that was getting bearings out of China and the bearing cages have been failing."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wwguy said:

FWIW - A Colorado rider over in the Beta Xtrainer Facebook group recently posted  "What I heard from my dealer was that the original supplier couldn't keep up with demand so the went to a second supplier that was getting bearings out of China and the bearing cages have been failing."

Good find. Thanks for the information! 

Cage failure is typically due to skidding of the rolling elements. This can be caused by a number of reasons like contamination, improper installation or excessive preload. I wonder if they got a batch of bearings with the wrong clearance?

• Like 2

I have seen that the video has been posted already. Sorry guys my bad!

However, the reason why I am very interested that the problem will be solved is, that I like Beta very much and I had bought one already but the crap suspension sent me to GasGas. If GG will not straighten their problems, especially with parts supply I probably will go Beta, but want to wait until they fit Kayaba or at least WP suspension.

Normally the Beta guys react quickly but it seems that they stay with Sachs/ZF and are stubborn though they know that ZF can't supply good forks for the price Beta pays.

That's why I follow the Beta threads, just to be sure that if I'll buy one I buy something that fulfils my requirements. Those are:

- no way that it is orange or white (as white is orange in this case)

- nice engine (thats already achieved)

- lower height (checked)

- nice looking (checked)

- good components (checked)

- good suspension (on to do list?)

- good plastics (well, not sure..)

:D

On 4/19/2019 at 1:40 AM, Doc Brown said:

Normally the Beta guys react quickly but it seems that they stay with Sachs/ZF and are stubborn though they know that ZF can't supply good forks for the price Beta pays.

Yep, just ate another set of upper fork tubes on a '16 300. Less than 2k miles. :banghead:  Just exactly why is it Sachs cannot anodize properly? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ud_Luz said:

Yep, just ate another set of upper fork tubes on a '16 300. Less than 2k miles. :banghead:  Just exactly why is it Sachs cannot anodize properly? 

This can be fixed for $300 or so.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just now, shrubitup said:

This can be fixed for $300 or so.

Yep, sending them to Steve at Plus One. 

Never ever had this problem since riding in the late 60's until I bought Betas though. Something this stupid shouldn't be happening. I thought it'd been fixed with the Sachs but nope, just as bad as the Zokes. 

On the plus side at least they use WP 48 bushings* and seals.

By the way, there's two versions of the Sachs. Almost all of them use a 15mm wide lower bushing. *A few use the 12mm wide used on the 48mm WP forks. Check before you replace them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ud_Luz said:

Yep, sending them to Steve at Plus One. 

Never ever had this problem since riding in the late 60's until I bought Betas though. Something this stupid shouldn't be happening. I thought it'd been fixed with the Sachs but nope, just as bad as the Zokes. 

On the plus side at least they use WP 48 bushings* and seals.

By the way, there's two versions of the Sachs. Almost all of them use a 15mm wide lower bushing. *A few use the 12mm wide used on the 48mm WP forks. Check before you replace them.

It does suck; I agree but I'm glad we have affordable options to repair. The 17/18/19 KTM/HSQ (non tpi) still come with crap sealing reeds, and a Mikuni with a bad jet block gasket and other issues. Some yank the Mikuni and source a Keihin or even more costly options like the Lectron or Smart Carb and then buy a V Force 4 or Boyesen Rad Valve too. Added together, these are both more expensive than fork anodizing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

It does suck; I agree but I'm glad we have affordable options to repair. The 17/18/19 KTM/HSQ (non tpi) still come with crap sealing reeds, and a Mikuni with a bad jet block gasket and other issues. Some yank the Mikuni and source a Keihin or even more costly options like the Lectron or Smart Carb and then buy a V Force 4 or Boyesen Rad Valve too. Added together, these are both more expensive than fork anodizing.

I've been a bit mystified as to why KTM went with the Mikuni. Must have got a deal they couldn't refuse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Will you guys do me a favor, and when you find a bike that's perfect, make sure to let us all know.? 

GasGas may go into receivership, having more financial problems, no Ranger and no 200 yet, along with starter issues..... again. 

Sherco, well let's just say there's some who aren't very pleased with the US importer and the manufacturer backing problems that arise. 

I know there must be a unicorn brand out there, hopefully someone here will find one and let us all know so we can join the true Nirvana that must exist. 

BTW, Ud, there's a ride report challenge, care to join? 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, firffighter said:

GasGas may go into receivership

Don't matter; I'm going to go ride my TXT today anyway.  Just put a $100 Taiwanese carb on it so I need to go evaluate. :ride:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firffighter said:

Will you guys do me a favor, and when you find a bike that's perfect, make sure to let us all know.? 

There was, the old xr250. Indestructible. :banana: 

I'll bet that up until a few years ago more hare scrambles were won on the xr250 than any other bike. Heck, it may still be true for a single model. 

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Don't matter; I'm going to go ride my TXT today anyway.  Just put a $100 Taiwanese carb on it so I need to go evaluate. :ride:

I've been using Lectrons because we'll ride sea level one day, 12k the next. They seems to deal with big altitude and temperature changes a bit better than the other options. 

• Like 1