Scooter61

Thought this bike was a dual sport

I bought the 2019 honda crf450l 3 weeks ago. I had a Suzuki dr650se which was great on the highway but heavy off road. Also the Suzuki dr200se fun off road but underpowered on any climbs and no good for highway. I sold both Suzuki's and thought I had the perfect bike. Here is my issue. The honda is great up to 100 kph. From 100 to 115 it really vibrates where my sight seems to vibrate. Though the mirrors do not vibrate. At 115 to 125 it really vibrates and feels scary. My Dr650 could cruise at 130 even 140 so I am disappointed. I changed tires to dunlop 606's and had them put on and balanced at it is exactly the same. Any Ideas! Please advise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have had my 450L up to 90 mph several times the day after I bought it, just to see how it was.   I found there was a little vibes after 80 mph with the stock tires.   If you have bad vibes at 100-115 Kph, I suggest you go over the bike and check every nut and bolt in the bars, forks, neck, spokes, axles, the usual suspects.   At about 200-250 miles, all my spokes were loose, tightened them and no more issues. Normal for a dirt bike with a plate

That assumes the tires are balanced as you say they are.

Edited by MVI
added text

I will try those things as it seems strange to me that such a beautiful well built bike should behave that way.

What I learned in my buying experience back in Sept 2018 , was my local Honda shop basically slapped the bars and front wheel on, dropped battery in, added oil, and had me sign a letter stating I will bring the bike back for a special price of $269 to do the full bike check at 600 miles.  Local dealer assumed Honda was perfect out the box, and that is NOT the case.  Every bike needs a once over, I do it before every AMA race, or group DS ride > 100 miles.  

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

All of my vibes are gone at cruise after 1000 miles.  I am surprised, but its true.  I generally run back roads under 50 mph.

You could also gear it up a bit, at 50mph its at 5000 rpm and at 60mph its at 6000 rpm with stock gearing, making it a little buzzy.

That being said, it really has nothing in common with the DR650, I would get a KTM 790 or Vstrom for that kind of riding.

Edited by fatbike racer
  • Like 2

I put a 130/90-18 tire on the back, that helped a lot for gearing it up, plus way better traction.. 

130.jpg

130 as mounted.jpg

130 installed.jpg

• Like 2

I get vibes about 68 mph with half worn OEM tires,  some more vibes at points above 80 and only on smooth road, which indicates some specific resonance in some component, that I will blame on tires/ tire tread.  All the resonant frequencies will change with surface types, tires, tread levels, parts wear/break-in as it may be.  The 450L is a dual sport in that it is street legal with some accoutrements to enable a somewhat more desirable street experience,  but at it's heart it is a dirt bike and the overall ride quality should reflect this.

Edited by On2Whls

Like the others have already said, check every nut and bolt and torque specs. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you had loose spokes. I have been my riding my all stock 450L this past week with highway speeds ranging from 50-75mph and it only barely started to shimmy at 75mph, I alleviated that by shifting my position on the seat to help balance out the bike. 

I just went out and found the spokes all over the place. I must admit, I know nothing about fixing bikes. Thank you all for the advise.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, brett gale said:

I will try those things as it seems strange to me that such a beautiful well built bike should behave that way.

I have said it many a time over on ADV and I'll say it here: this bike is not a mile muncher. As noted above it is a street legal dirt bike based off of their motocross line.

If you wouldn't put a ton of miles on a CRF450R then don't plan on doing it with this bike either.

I will say this though; my bike has gotten much better with the Seat Concepts comfort seat. I also did the Vortex ECU and full FMF muffler which with freer breathing, less weight, and more fuel, may have smoothed things over some.

If you want smooth get some heavy bar ends, comfortable seat, maybe a fuel tuner to take some of the crispness off of that super lean stock tuning.

I kept my Africa Twin just for the reason of highway manners- smooth stabilities and long distant comfort- The 450l is a lightweight throw around dirt bike that is a trail animal with on road capability-- You want a devil in the bedroom and an angel in the kitchen-  That's why I kept the two-- One that does all perfectly is hard to find--- 

• Like 1

It has to be the spokes or something else. I found the back spokes good but the front, a couple were extremely loose. and the rest all needed tightening. I talked my wife into this bike by selling a Suzuki dr650 and dr200 so I would have one bike. The reviewers and my salesman made it sound like "finally a dual sport around the 4 to 500 range". I tried my dr200 on the highway for an hour and a half and opened it up to 110 kph and it did not feel scary, just slow. I told the dealer I wanted a bike I could go 3 hours on the highway and off road. 

3 hours ago, brianwheelies said:

I have said it many a time over on ADV and I'll say it here: this bike is not a mile muncher. As noted above it is a street legal dirt bike based off of their motocross line.

If you wouldn't put a ton of miles on a CRF450R then don't plan on doing it with this bike either.

I will say this though; my bike has gotten much better with the Seat Concepts comfort seat. I also did the Vortex ECU and full FMF muffler which with freer breathing, less weight, and more fuel, may have smoothed things over some.

If you want smooth get some heavy bar ends, comfortable seat, maybe a fuel tuner to take some of the crispness off of that super lean stock tuning.

Did you change the air filter out as well when you added the Vortex and FMF exhaust? I have the full FMF exhaust here waiting on my Vortex ECU to arrive, four weeks in now, fingers crossed it won't be much longer. 

It’s not a rode bike or really even close to a dual sport... as others have said. It’s a motocross bike with a plate to connect trails. Still waiting on Vortex as well... 5 weeks and counting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tex68w said:

Did you change the air filter out as well when you added the Vortex and FMF exhaust? I have the full FMF exhaust here waiting on my Vortex ECU to arrive, four weeks in now, fingers crossed it won't be much longer. 

Stock air filter. Have tried airbox lid on and off.

Runs good both ways. Being afraid of going lean I put the lid back on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brett gale said:

It has to be the spokes or something else. I found the back spokes good but the front, a couple were extremely loose. and the rest all needed tightening. I talked my wife into this bike by selling a Suzuki dr650 and dr200 so I would have one bike. The reviewers and my salesman made it sound like "finally a dual sport around the 4 to 500 range". I tried my dr200 on the highway for an hour and a half and opened it up to 110 kph and it did not feel scary, just slow. I told the dealer I wanted a bike I could go 3 hours on the highway and off road. 

The salesman will say anything to make the sale. I've had a long life and listened to some ridiculous things coming out of the mouths of salesmen. Many very good but unethical salesmen make a great living cycling around to various dealerships as the chickens come home to roost. We have to do our own reading before going into the dealership. 

Not all salesmen are this way. Some are extraordinary. There is an old joke, half the doctors out there are below average. So it is with dealerships. I just paid $$$ for a dealership first servicing to find they "looked at" a long list of items. No valve clearance check, no head bolt retorque as on the manufacturer's list, no tools actually put on the bike! 

Getting a good sales department and good service is often dependent on a dealership management with a strong ethical character. They do exist.

• Like 2

it's not that I want to go fast. I want to be able to ride 2 to4 hours to go camping while the girls pull the trailer. Then go off roading. 70 mph is good speed. Anyway my friend was over and I mentioned the dealer put on rim locks, heavy duty tubes and dunlop 606's and he noticed NO weights in the tires for balancing. They were supposed to balance. I will be talking to them Saturday.

• Like 2

Brett, you have every right to be displeased. A 450 should be able to go 70mph and not vibrate. A service department should be able to solve this, especially on a new bike, if they know what they are doing. I have the same problem with my dealership's service department. My next servicing will be at another shop, it will follow the manufacturer's list and will be done right. You have given them a chance to show their abilities, and they did. Next! :)