CALIFORNIA RED STICKER NO MORE STARTING 2022

I'm not familiar with it but in 2022 it's going away. I think youl have to own a new bike that meets regs to ride in trails.

I have nothing to substantiate this but I get the feeling Colorado may be going in a similar direction. My brother bought a used bike with no title, only bill of sale couple weeks ago. None of the dealerships would issue him a OHV sticker without a title. Found a small Mom and Pop Moto shop that gave him one fortunately. My concern is that in the future if you don't have a modern "clean burning" bike you won't be issued a pass and allowed on public lands.

Is that the direction CA is heading with this or did I read into it wrong?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 777654321 said:

I think youl have to own a new bike that meets regs to ride in trails.

I think not... the presentation I saw from CARB said the Red Sticker bikes in use now will be grandfathered in as Green Sticker. But.. after 2022 you can't get a Red Sticker for a new "race bike". All new trail bikes will be 4T clean burners... Electric will be the ticket by then. 

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

So in 2022, we cannot ride our current bikes we own on trails? Or all new bikes sold/purchased must meet the requirements? I've read the proposals and it's confusing.

Edit: Watch the video of the proposal and it does say grandfathered green sticker bikes as DrKayak says. I hope that's true. 

Edited by andcone

3 hours ago, DrKayak said:

I think not... the presentation I saw from CARB said the Red Sticker bikes in use now will be grandfathered in as Green Sticker. But.. after 2022 you can't get a Red Sticker for a new "race bike". All new trail bikes will be 4T clean burners... Electric will be the ticket by then. 

That is my understanding as well.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, 2much2stroke said:

I have nothing to substantiate this but I get the feeling Colorado may be going in a similar direction. My brother bought a used bike with no title, only bill of sale couple weeks ago. None of the dealerships would issue him a OHV sticker without a title. Found a small Mom and Pop Moto shop that gave him one fortunately. My concern is that in the future if you don't have a modern "clean burning" bike you won't be issued a pass and allowed on public lands.

Is that the direction CA is heading with this or did I read into it wrong?

Private party sale to private party, a bill of sale is sufficient. you don't need to go to a dealer for the OHV tag, you can go directly to the parks department (Littleton office) and get one. If the bike had previous ohv tags, write down the number and bring that with you.  The "title requirement" is only applicable to dealers selling new or used product. they do in fact require a generated title. 

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/news/highway-vehicles-ohv

as far as the red/green sticker thing, good and bad. Existing red sticker bikes will be able to get a green sticker, but NEW bikes that do not meet the emissions requirements will not be legal on public lands at all. 

CARB should have never created this BS to begin with. Self regulating entity that has created massive regulations costing people significant amounts of money. 

But here in Colorado it's rosy. plated two strokes, direct from the dealer showroom. Suck it Gov Newsome. 

image.png.e0021b5d5d5c750d1baf202424a01547.png1638445301_familyofbetas.jpg.ae7918425dad2c93a547733b4a36334c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

So the red sticker bikes won't be sale for new in California in the future. But presumable those in free state such as NV and AZ they will still be for sale? How would someone buying a used bike from out of state know whether it is register-able or not in CA? Would this be a loop hole? Buy used in another state from private party?

Didn't this happen for a little bit with Federal but not CA emissions vehicles? People brought them in via buying 'used' in other states? Now everything meets the CA emissions bar I believe.

Anyone have some thoughts or history on this situation?

3 minutes ago, 1.21GW said:

So the red sticker bikes won't be sale for new in California in the future. But presumable those in free state such as NV and AZ they will still be for sale? How would someone buying a used bike from out of state know whether it is register-able or not in CA? Would this be a loop hole? Buy used in another state from private party?

Didn't this happen for a little bit with Federal but not CA emissions vehicles? People brought them in via buying 'used' in other states? Now everything meets the CA emissions bar I believe.

Anyone have some thoughts or history on this situation?

I'd ASSume that California dealers will still sell red sticker bikes. Still tracks to ride that are private property. But desert/forest this will just give Barney the BLM ranger another reason to harass. I'm waiting for CARB to mandate that private property tracks will be required to enclose and contain all emissions produced on their site. 

I love threads like this with 99% bad or incomplete info...  If ever there was a TS thread...  this should be it...  under the category "Waste of Time"  LOLOLOL  :doh:

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if a new 2022 TPI will be a clean enough burner to be allowed?

1 hour ago, redhurricane said:

But here in Colorado it's rosy. plated two strokes, direct from the dealer showroom.

I will be moving there soon enough.. :applause:

6 minutes ago, shrub73 said:

I wonder if a new 2022 TPI will be a clean enough burner to be allowed?

The question is more, Will KTM bother to submit the TPI bikes to the process? I don't think they are selling too well at this point in CA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrKayak said:

The question is more, Will KTM bother to submit the TPI bikes to the process? I don't think they are selling too well at this point in CA. 

I don't have any hard numbers but I see a bunch of TPI bikes in the desert and on the trail where I ride. So yes, I think it would be worth KTM while. The question actually is is CARBs emissions standards lower than Euro4? TM also has a TPI bike in the works set for 2020 as well.

Rumor is XC line up will not be offered in carb in 2020...but we will see.

California cant stop with overbearing, meaningless and racist politics, cesspool city streets, overpriced shit houses with no property and rediculous amounts of wasted federal money but now they are going to jack 2 strokes and public riding? Explain why anyone even lives in that state?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hondaman331 said:

California cant stop with overbearing, meaningless and racist politics, cesspool city streets, overpriced shit houses with no property and rediculous amounts of wasted federal money but now they are going to jack 2 strokes and public riding? Explain why anyone even lives in that state?

Property appreciation and income. 

Thats about it. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

wait list is long. 

Just now, shrub73 said:

Thats about it. 

as most of my california friends still say - "the weather". 

• Like 1

Thats about it. 
But when living expenses are so rampantly inflated as they are in california making more digits is only a paper show, reality is debt to income is grossly out of proportion to the state. I was born there, too smart to be there now.