1990 Honda CRM250R brake swap questions

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone.

I have a Honda CRM250R, the enduro version of the CR250R of the same era, more or less. Not popular in the US market but all over the place in Japan, Europe, and the Middle East. Anyway, my front brake caliper has recently given up the ghost - absolutely buggered. I could probably put fresh pistons, seals and whatnot into it, but I can't even get piston 2 to come out, it's siezed in the caliper like it's been welded there.

Looking at the caliper itself, I see "Nissin 27" stamped into it on the spoke end outside, and KS6 on the inside of the caliper where the top of the pads go. Anyone know what other models of bike I can steal scavenge a front caliper from? Preferably a caliper that will fit the EBC FA185 pads I bought recently? I have a line on a 2004 Honda XR250R front caliper that looks mighty similar, but not quite, and the pads are the same. Based on the picture below, I did some measurements and this is what I got

Distances center to center:

A - B = 100mm
A - C = ~59mm
B - C = ~62mm

Any ideas? Lemme know. I'm planning on trolling eBay for some calipers that will fit.

1555594993943_message.jpg

Just a pic of the bike as a whole for funsies.

pvIx68zJB1s.jpg

Edited by A. V.

Posted (edited)

Nothing listed fro 90 model

Try these

This Honda 45101-KS6-702 BODY, FR. CALIPER fits the following models and components:

Honda Motorcycle 1989 XR600R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 CR125R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 CR500R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 CR250R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 XR250R A Front Brake-Caliper

Edited by S.O.A.N.Z

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Nothing listed fro 90 model

Try these

This Honda 45101-KS6-702 BODY, FR. CALIPER fits the following models and components:

Honda Motorcycle 1989 XR600R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 CR125R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 CR500R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 CR250R A FR. Brake Caliper

Honda Motorcycle 1989 XR250R A Front Brake-Caliper

Yep, CMSNL told me that much already. However I did dig up that there's a supercession for the mounting bracket for the KS6 front caliper (original bracket is KS6, supercession part is KCY, which then is superceded by KCZ), and that superceded front brake brackets covers basically all the CR's and all the XR's from 1993-ish and all the way up to 2004+.

If I'm interpreting this all correctly, a superceded part means it will fit in the same spot, but is slightly different/better and so you should use the "new" superceding part, instead of the older obsolete one. Which in turns means that the brackets for the old KS6 brake and the brake that replaced it on almost all 90's Honda offroad bikes should be the same, which means that the brake caliper itself should also fit on the old bracket.

Which should, in theory, mean that all 90's CR and XR brakes should be a direct swap.

? The question is do I risk $100 to test the theory out.

Edited by A. V.

Ordered an early 2000's XR250R front caliper. We'll see if it bolts up... ?