Anyone > 200lbs get a 250X valved for woods go to track?

Hi,

I have a 2018 that i havent ridden yet. I had springs put in by the dealer for my 240lb weight then accepted that I will need to get everything revalved.

Anyone have a revalve for harescrambles type stuff take your 250x to the track? Kinda hoping I can still do so without bottoming and breaking my wrists on table tops I dont clear.

The magazine guys are saying the stock valving is actually ok for the motocross track so I was thinking Id ask the suspension shop to mimic the damping curves of stock for my new springs and weight.

Decent idea?

just my unprofessional opinion...

you might be ok with the forks as is or with a little oil added, they're pretty firm out of the box. Stock is 320, you could go 330 and try that if you're bottoming.

the shock is soft. your spring will probably overpower the stock rebound stack. I'm on a 5.1 at 180 geared up and I added a few shims to mine based on suggestions from others in the suspension forum. We likely ride a lot of the same terrain, I'm just over the border in NY and we go to the Ganny and OO events all the time.

I had my suspension guy set it up for gncc type racing. It works ok in both tight single track and an mx track, which is exactly like I wanted it. I mostly ride single track, but I didn't want it to kill me off of descent size jumps, which it doesn't.

Hey, I ride a 2019 yz250x. I am about 230 LBS. I over jumped a few moderate doubles the other day and didn't bottom out and my suspension is all stock. I raced a HS and the forks felt good enough for my skill level right now. If over or under jumping just try to get that back tire down first.

• 4 weeks later...

Me again...

Finally took the bike out for its first ride.... not sure how I feel about it just yet. I certainly didnt like it with the clickers the way they were from the shop (they installed my stiffer springs) it seemed stiffer than i thought it would considering its woods valving. I was on a sand track that wasnt too beat up. I let out the comp almost all the way (read it on the net) and put the rebound at 5 out front and back. Felt way better but not what i am hoping for.

The front seemed to want to tuck on me around corners and it just wasnt as plush as I was hoping. I plan on revalve mid summer but would like to try clickers until then.

Any suggestions for clickers? .48's in the front and 6.0 in the back and I'm 250lbs naked.

Edited by Stillhavetimeleft

3 hours ago, Stillhavetimeleft said:

Me again...

Finally took the bike out for its first ride.... not sure how I feel about it just yet. I certainly didnt like it with the clickers the way they were from the shop (they installed my stiffer springs) it seemed stiffer than i thought it would considering its woods valving. I was on a sand track that wasnt too beat up. I let out the comp almost all the way (read it on the net) and put the rebound at 5 out front and back. Felt way better but not what i am hoping for.

The front seemed to want to tuck on me around corners and it just wasnt as plush as I was hoping. I plan on revalve mid summer but would like to try clickers until then.

Any suggestions for clickers? .48's in the front and 6.0 in the back and I'm 250lbs naked.

You need a revalve for the new springs bare minimum. The stock valving is not set up to dampen a spring that heavy. 

Front end tuck in the sand is not a suspension or valving issue 90% of the time, it’s the rider not knowing how to ride in the sand. 

Just now, Bricktop72 said:

You need a revalve for the new springs bare minimum. The stock valving is not set up to dampen a spring that heavy. 

Front end tuck in the sand is not a suspension or valving issue 90% of the time, it’s the rider not knowing how to ride in the sand. 

Yep.

Front end tuck in sand? Three step process, starting with clutch in, then a bit of brake, then hit the gas before you are 1/3 into the turn and feather it to no clutch as you are rounding the apex.

4 hours ago, Stillhavetimeleft said:

my yz125 rails corners and berms without the front end wanting to fall.... im sure it's set up.

I'm no pro, so take my opinion for what it's worth but I grew up riding a lot of sand because my parents land at the time was all sand. On a 125,  the sand is so power robbing that I tended to not move to the front of the seat as much to try to keep weight on the back wheel and stay heavy on the throttle. Riding a 250 2t or 450F in the sand took some adjustment because I would be on the front a lot more in corners trying to keep the wheel down, but it resulted in my front end washing a lot more until I figured out the balance. 

You could certainly have some setup issues, especially if the back is stiff making the bike unbalanced, but it could also be a little bit of rider adjustment given the terrain. Have you had a chance to ride your 250x on some more high traction terrain to check it? 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, Stillhavetimeleft said:

Me again...

It’s got to break in! Give it about 5 hrs!