Adjusting Sag

Hi All, 

First post  - been riding for a year...and not fully clued up on too many things yet

I recently had my suspension serviced and firmer springs installed and would now like to adjust my sag on the rear - and was wondering how you all actually adjust the preload rings on the sachs rear shock. I have a 2018 300RR..and hoping there is an easier way than removing the shock?

One recomendation was tapping the slots in the rings with flat end of a punch (and WD40) - but thought i would see if there are any other ideas?

Cheers

Wrap the frame/shock reservoir with a rag, and use a pry bar to move the adjuster rings. the factory tool lends very little help with the shock installed and subframe in place. You'll do less damage to the adjuster rings this way vs. using a punch and hammer. It's also a good idea to have CLEAN threads and lube the threads before making adjustments- aluminum on aluminum, and galling can damage the shock body. WD40 does OK, I prefer grease and then I clean up after I am done. 

• Like 1

You can see how gentle the guys at Race Tech are. This is probably fine with steel adjuster/lock rings, I prefer to take a little more care with my junk. 

image.png.16fc1dc4c62633a4b4b6f2bd5f867837.png

I use a hammer and "punch" made from a piece of wooden dowel or any other small scrap wood available.  The wood doesn't mar the preload ring.  As the wood inevitably gets mashed and splintered etc. I just trim it a bit shorter with a handsaw.  Crude yes, but it's been working great for me.

• Like 3

Sweet!! Thanks guys...much appreciated. I like the idea of a wooden punch..and appreciate the tip to clean and grease.

Will report back

If you get the top ring loose then you might be able to turn the bottom one by hand by grabbing the spring itself and turning it.

• Like 4

Got it. I cleaned the threads up and used WD40. I used wwguys wooden dowel approach and was easily able to tap the top ring loose and then do the same to turn the second ring. Super easy -  stoked!

Thanks Guys!

• Like 1

MUCH EASIER WAY:

Using an old steel tire iron - you know, the ones you no longer use anymore - to loosen the top spring locking collar, with a 5lb sledge.

Using WD-40 or similar, spray the top and bottom end of the spring.

Put the bike on a stand, getting the rear wheel in the air.

Using riding gloves, GRAB THE SPRING WITH BOTH HANDS, and turn it. As you turn it, the bottom locking collar will rotate with the spring.

Easy McEasyface

• Like 2

Very FIRST thing is to get the rear wheel off the ground, bike on a stand. DO NOT try to adjust the rings with the bike sitting on the floor.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1