Yamaha 450 2018 Issue

Having some issues with my 50 hour old 2018 YZ450F, the bike suddenly shut off while riding as if I ran out of gas (it was full) and won't start.
I have managed to start it two times but both times it shut off after a few seconds, while it was on it ran fine. 
The times it doesn't start it just clicks, aka it's not turning over the starter/engine at all. 
Battery reads 13.29V however when you press the start button it jumps to 0.0000V, shortage of some sort? 

I have checked the two 15 fuses close to the battery but I will check more thoroughly tomorrow, I have another battery I can try. 

Any help or tips are much appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

The starter is what needs the voltage, check there

Edited by wetneck

stock tank? I have had the starter wire from the relay to the starter rub a bare spot and will give the symptom you describe. But chances are that you have 2 separate problems. Starter wire won't cause a stalling issue

Posted (edited)

Pull out plug, see if it spins normally.

I hear so many issues with the elec starts, batts, starters it makes me want to keep on kicking.

Brush recall, oil in starter...

Edited by wetneck
  • Like 1

Update

I can get the bike started evertime (even with the old battery) if I turn the backwheel so the engine moves, if I don't do that it just clicks on the starter as if the top end is solid. It runs for longer now but sounds a bit weird (something I might not have noticed before since I rarely got it to start) My guess is that the decompression sensor is either faulty or something is wrong with the piston/top end. However I should get a fault code for the sensor and the engine shouldn't even start according to the manual.

Going to send a message to a few engine builders I know that might have experienced something like this before. 

8 minutes ago, wetneck said:

Check oil filter

Decomp button hanging ?

Will do, didn't even know there were such a thing as a decomp button? 

Finally found the issue and it's gonna be a costly fix. What was supposed to be a quick top end/cam chain swap turned into removal of the engine. 

Going to need at minimum new rod/rod bearings and main bearings. No idea how the hell they are shot in 50 hours, shit happens I guess. I do feel lucky at the moment that the rod never said peek-a-boo through the cases  

Going to call a few engine builders and ask what could cause this, if there is an underlying issue I need to find it.
Also going to take a chance and call Yamaha about it.

8 hours ago, emlptr said:

Finally found the issue and it's gonna be a costly fix. What was supposed to be a quick top end/cam chain swap turned into removal of the engine. 

Going to need at minimum new rod/rod bearings and main bearings. No idea how the hell they are shot in 50 hours, shit happens I guess. I do feel lucky at the moment that the rod never said peek-a-boo through the cases  

Going to call a few engine builders and ask what could cause this, if there is an underlying issue I need to find it.
Also going to take a chance and call Yamaha about it.

I feel for you! I realize what I’m about to say isn’t going to help your current situation however a bottom end going out that early on a YZ450F isn’t normal. Lots of guys are getting 200+ hours on their bikes without any issues. I suggest there might have been something wrong from the factory. Perhaps you’ll discover more when you get in deeper. I agree that it’s good you caught this before the rod let go. Good luck with the project.

8 hours ago, Into the sunset said:

I feel for you! I realize what I’m about to say isn’t going to help your current situation however a bottom end going out that early on a YZ450F isn’t normal. Lots of guys are getting 200+ hours on their bikes without any issues. I suggest there might have been something wrong from the factory. Perhaps you’ll discover more when you get in deeper. I agree that it’s good you caught this before the rod let go. Good luck with the project.

even in hard moto use?

I would say anyone under a Pro level rider would easily get 150-200 hours on a bottom end. A National level rider should get 80-100 hours without issues. I did see Brett Metacalf hit the rev limiter several times a lap at my local track on a 450 but honestly who can ride at that level?

Any chance the bike sucked in a lung full of water at some stage, no warning signs in previous oil changes ?? Odd for a bottom end to go so early. Keep us posted on the progress please.

14 hours ago, Into the sunset said:

I understand what you are trying to say and I agree, last 450 I had I sold after 212 hours without ever opening the bottom end. This shouldn't happen but it did, I have to wait and see what the engine builder says when he opens the engine. We have aweird holiday this week where I live so no one works more than 3 days, hopefully I will have it togheter before next weekend. 

5 hours ago, ChampWazza said:

Any chance the bike sucked in a lung full of water at some stage, no warning signs in previous oil changes ?? Odd for a bottom end to go so early. Keep us posted on the progress please.

Not a chance lol! This bike has never seen a muddy track ? Will do, don't want this to happen to anyone else if there is something behind it causing this. I might as well just be out of luck.

4 hours ago, Autosport7 said:

Possible oil pump failure...?

Not sure! The engine isn't split yet (waiting on a time to drop it off at an engine builder) but while checking the rod it did pump up oil where it's supposed to, we'll know more when it's split. I will report everything here and on VitalMX.