KTM lean at altitude OK?

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2019 KTM 500 EXC-F. Needless to say, I've obsessively been reading everything I need to know about this bike. Glad this forum exists and I very much appreciate everyone's knowledge. What I've gathered so far is I'll eventually need to do an emissions delete, go with a JD tuner or Vortex ECU, get a heavier spring (I'm 225lbs) to get my sag right and have to take out the reeds to get the bike "race ready". It's been an eye opener. Oh well it is what it is. 

I had the dealer put the FMF 4.1 silencer on the bike. I understand these bikes run a little lean. Adding this silencer will have it run a little leaner. Which is risky for the engine (dealer didn't tell me this would be the case). My question is I live in Utah. I will be riding single track and desert from 5000-7000 feet. Since I'm at a fairly high altitude and running a little lean is generally OK at altitude, am I OK to keep the FMF on the bike until I can get a Vortex? I don't plan on doing the emissions delete or remove the reads until I have the ECU. Vortex is out of stock for a few weeks so I'm trying to determine if I'm good to go. Or should I put the original silencer on until I get the Vortex?

Many thanks for any help or direction you all can give me. 

Won't the F.I. compensate for that and just give you the normal too lean mixture?

Congrats on the bike. I am just getting back in and love mine.

Still learning but you need a free kick to the nuts from your dealer for putting that pipe on there. Way to soon even at your elevation. Personally I would put the stock one on until you do a JD Tuner or Vortex.

like a carb, your bike will get fatter/more rich with altitude. FI just eases the tuning at elevation. If I recall when you go up in Elevation you should reset the ECU for that elevation. TBH still can't find that in the manual and should have saved that thread.

• Like 1

In the automotive world the ecu measures the barometric pressure for altitude compensation on ignition key-up. It then adjusts fueling accordingly.

Not sure KTM does this but it should.

Even the Euro map the dealer put on mine was too lean in late 2016 when the bike was new. I'm at sea level.  I don't put any faith in the stock ECU tuning. 

Thanks all for the input. I'm going to start break in tomorrow and see how she runs. Likely I'm just going to play it save and put the stocker back on until I can get a Vortex.

4 hours ago, nobade said:

Won't the F.I. compensate for that and just give you the normal too lean mixture?

That was what I was hoping for, but just not sure.

4 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Congrats on the bike. I am just getting back in and love mine.

Still learning but you need a free kick to the nuts from your dealer for putting that pipe on there. Way to soon even at your elevation. Personally I would put the stock one on until you do a JD Tuner or Vortex.

like a carb, your bike will get fatter/more rich with altitude. FI just eases the tuning at elevation. If I recall when you go up in Elevation you should reset the ECU for that elevation. TBH still can't find that in the manual and should have saved that thread.

Ha! ? "Free kick in the nuts." That's funny right there. I think I'm going to take your advice and take the FMF off and go back to the stock until I can get the new ECU.  And on the new bike, thanks! Even though I got to spend a whole bunch more money on top of the just buying the bike I'm way stoked. Coming off a CRF450R (handing it down to my boy) so this should be a whole new animal. Looking forward to riding it.

4 hours ago, Burnrider said:

Even the Euro map the dealer put on mine was too lean in late 2016 when the bike was new. I'm at sea level.  I don't put any faith in the stock ECU tuning. 

Oh man. That's no good. Apparently my 2019 and I guess back to 2017 KTM locked down the ECU, can't even re-map it (Unless they have some kind of hardware? Kind of confusing on this, some say it can be mapped others say it's locked.) But the general consensus is that the Vortex is the way to go if you're willing to spend the money and the JD tuner is good as well. Maybe this is a whole lot of worry over nothing, just don't want to ruin a brand new expensive bike.

The map sensor will adjust for altitude.

No need to reset ECU for altitude. The ECU recalculates map, temp, and throttle position about 

hundred times a second.

• Like 1

No need to reset ECU for altitude. The ECU recalculates map, temp, and throttle position 

Sounds like Vortex works this way.

The stock ECU, my experience is the bike needs to be initialized at least from sea level to 5K. If not it runs rich or lean depending on which way you go. 

• Like 1

Any ECU with a map sensor (which stock ECU has) will automatically adjust for altitude.

Whether or not the stock ECU adjusts, it’s starting point is one that is lean in the first place.

Some of my parts order before even riding the bike around the block ?

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.4f4a07f9aea554de8d205c574df5f10f.JPG

IMG_0969.thumb.JPG.b0d91b02c7d8f1e856aca2cbfe1e7397.JPG

End result, couldn’t be happier

IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.24ecf2c87c5c459f5c41670f476457ed.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KennyMc said:

Whether or not the stock ECU adjusts, it’s starting point is one that is lean in the first place.

Some of my parts order before even riding the bike around the block ?

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.4f4a07f9aea554de8d205c574df5f10f.JPG

IMG_0969.thumb.JPG.b0d91b02c7d8f1e856aca2cbfe1e7397.JPG

End result, couldn’t be happier emoji106.png

IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.24ecf2c87c5c459f5c41670f476457ed.JPG

So nice! What’s that $2,000 worth of goodies there? I think that’s where I am at after $11k for the bike. So happy with the bike though!

So nice! What’s that $2,000 worth of goodies there? I think that’s where I am at after $11k for the bike. So happy with the bike though!

Funny, I actually had a spreadsheet keeping track of my expenses. It topped out at just over $5K. Not pictured:
FMF 4.1
Warp9 Elite wheel set
New Shoei EVO helmet (reason for new bike)
New riding gear.

So some not related specifically to the bike but for riding in general, but still $$$$