First-time clutch replacement 2003 XR400R

Posted (edited)

First time doing a clutch in this bike.  First I ordered a new Tusk clutch kit, new clutch springs and a clutch cover gasket from RMATVMC.  Everything looked fine except I received a crankcase cover gasket instead, even though their parts listing and the packing slip both say "clutch cover gasket."  That's NOT what I received and I am pursuing that with RM directly.  
In researching further, I learn that the clutch cover has an O-ring/rubber seal that can be re-used.  Can anyone confirm this?  Or should it be replaced?  I have drained the oil but haven't taken anything apart yet to get a first-hand look.

Also, this video looks to be helpful: How To: Dirt Bike Clutch Replacement (XR400) .  Anything glaring in this video that I should avoid doing?  

I have the Haynes manual and the Honda XR400R service manual (1995-2002) which technically does not cover my 2003 but I'm sure most is the same.  Any other tips for a decent home mechanic doing a first-time clutch job on this bike?  

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DGXR

In the video, he offset the last fiber disk but didn't mention that you should. Says so in the shop manual, so be careful not to miss that tidbit.

Let your fiber disks soak in oil over night before install, instead a quick splash beforehand.

• Like 1

By offset, you mean insert the "tangs" of the last fiber disk into the opposing basket slots?  Opposite the slots that the first 6 disks sit in?  I just barely caught that in the video, and only because you mention it here.  Didn't notice that in the shop manual either but will check again.  Thank you Trailryder42!

25 minutes ago, DGXR said:

By offset, you mean insert the "tangs" of the last fiber disk into the opposing basket slots?  Opposite the slots that the first 6 disks sit in?  I just barely caught that in the video, and only because you mention it here.  Didn't notice that in the shop manual either but will check again.  Thank you Trailryder42!

Right. Page 9-8, last paragraph in the Honda shop manual.

• Like 1

Oh yes I see it down there now.  Very subtle but it's there.  Nice that the shop manual has a little diagram showing the inner plates vs the final fiber plate, don't know how I missed it ?
Job completed, test run successful, clutch action feels good and smooth.  Now should I change the oil and filter, or let the new pack wear in a little first?  The oil is slightly dirty but I don't want to compromise a fresh oil & filter service with any excess initial wear material from the fresh clutch.  I am inclined to ride it a few times on the old oil... 

• Like 1