Yz250x wont start after a fall.

Posted (edited)

He guys. Just raced my first HS on my 2019 yz250x. It was all hills and mud. On a few of those hills I tipped over and the bike died. I picked the bike up in a few seconds but it took 15 minutes of kicking to get going. This continued through out the race. It did flame out a few times too. I pulled the plug today and it looks as it was running just a little rich but nothing drastic . Air filter is kept clean. Air  screw was at about 2 turns. Idle was set maybe a bit high . I need to get her to start faster as I see more spills in my future and want to run another race in about 2 weeks. Thanks for any help!

Edited by Ryan McLaughlin

Drain your gas and carb. Check your carb floats and spark plug. If that doesn’t work check back in here. 

1 minute ago, Charles De Mar said:

Drain your gas and carb. Check your carb floats and spark plug. If that doesn’t work check back in here. 

It will start now. Plug is good. But if I tip over on a hill climb and it dies, it takes about 15 minutes of kicking to get it fired up. 

It will start now. Plug is good. But if I tip over on a hill climb and it dies, it takes about 15 minutes of kicking to get it fired up. 

If it doesn’t start in three kicks hold throttle wide open and kick till it does. Usually on second kick it starts, so after a total of five.
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

She flooded. Gotta hold the throttle wide open after a tip over when you're kicking. Should only take a couple kicks when you do that.

• Like 4

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot. Holding it wide open seems counterintuitive if its flooded. Can any one explain why that works? I thought I'd want less fuel to dry the plug? Again thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Ryan McLaughlin said:

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot. Holding it wide open seems counterintuitive if its flooded. Can any one explain why that works? I thought I'd want less fuel to dry the plug? Again thanks for the help!

Think about it when you hold the throttle wide open are you choking off the air or are you moving the slide out of the way and giving it maximum air? Those guys are correct when it is flooded Hold It Wide Open

• Like 2

Gotta hold throttle wide open at times on 2T bikes, have u tried that?

• Like 2

It helps to get the bike back up as quickly as you can. If you’re racing, obviously you are. I was helping my son get out of some mud the other day and my X tipped over without me knowing it and was that way for several minutes. Tried to kick. WOT got it to fire, but it wouldn’t start. I ultimately threw a new plug in it and it started first kick.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I'll have it out next weekend for some plug chop testing, then off to another race. I'll take all of your advice!

Edited by Ryan McLaughlin

He guys. Just raced my first HS on my 2019 yz250x. It was all hills and mud. On a few of those hills I tipped over and the bike died. I picked the bike up in a few seconds but it took 15 minutes of kicking to get going. This continued through out the race. It did flame out a few times too. I pulled the plug today and it looks as it was running just a little rich but nothing drastic . Air filter is kept clean. Air  screw was at about 2 turns. Idle was set maybe a bit high . I need to get her to start faster as I see more spills in my future and want to run another race in about 2 weeks. Thanks for any help!
You need to hold the throttle wide open and kick it after a drop. Are you doing that?

2 minutes ago, dazza1968 said:

These bikes are simple as, holding throttle WOT. Works everytimeIMG_20190415_180839.jpeg

I was over thinking it. I've been on the street with fuel injected 4 strokes for the last 15 years.

Wot, does two things, first, more air and second, less fuel as the air velocity is slow so there is less vacuum to pull fuel out of the carb. Also unlike a 4-st there is no accelerator pump, so opening the throttle doesn’t add any extra fuel.

Laying the bike on its side is also a way to get extra fuel in the cylinder for a cold start.

• Like 1

Yeah WOT works most of the time, but sometimes if it’s badly flooded it will still be too rich at WOT. If that’s the case, before you pull the plug try this.

Turn the gas off, lay the bike on its side and let the float bowl drain. With the gas off and carb empty, kick it over 10-20 times, or however many you want. This dries out the motor if it was really flooded. Then turn the gas on and try again.

• Like 2

They got it right. When my bikes goes over and dies, even if it's just a matter of seconds, I don't even try to kick it without holding the throttle wide open. Then it normally fires first kick.

• Like 2

I do the same as posted above, I hold it wide open before for the first kick after tipping over.

This is why I prefer two strokes in the woods, they always start in 1 or 2 kicks.

• Like 1