Best gear ratio for mx

I have a kx250f which has extremely worn down sprockets. I want to get into motocross so I was going to replace the sprockets any way, so what would the best ratio be for moto cross? I hope there are not too many opinions

I don't own a kx250f, but I pretend I do sometimes.  You will likely have three options (two in addition to current) on the front, and perhaps 3-5 in the rear.  The mean of the difference between the highest and lowest possible ratios is going to be the ratio with the highest probability of pleasure. 

you confused me with the last part.Do I go up or down on front or back? my current ratio is 13:51

Posted (edited)

With R & D and test rider feedback, the manufacturer has chosen the stock ratio as the best 'overall'

to cover as many variables as possible within the bike's intended purpose (MX racing)

Start with the stock sprocket sizes (don't forget to replace the chain as well) and ride it as-is until time to replace.

Rider style (lugger/revver) and type of track configuration (short straights/tight corners, longer tracks/faster sweeping turns, flat/hilly etc.)

will all determine what ratio best suits YOUR specific application.

Preference also changes with experienced gained as you'll carry more speed thru corners, hold the throttle wide open longer etc.

Edited by mlatour