Buying an older but low mileage CRF230M

I'm lookin to buy my first motorcycle soon and have found a 2009 Honda CRF230M with 127 miles for $3,000. I haven't seen the bike in person yet but from the pictures it looks brand new. My question is, should I stay away from this LOW LOW mileage for a 10 year old bike? Or is this a deal I shouldn't pass up?

Ehhh, you'll need to make sure there's no rust inside it and change out the tires if they're original and probably carb hoses and stuff. Like you said though, mechanically it should run like new.

• Like 2

How/where it was stored is critical. Also price seems pretty high, NADA in my area has avg retail of $2,065 so that's what you'd expect to pay at a dealer.

Your location will play a role in guessing actual condition, humidity could have caused a lot of damage over those years.  If you live in a humid area, I would expect some damage from being stored over those years unless it was stored in conditioned space.  If you're in a desert, I would have much less concern.

As mentioned by @HevyRotashunz tires will likely need to be replaced, check all rubber bits for cracking or other damage.   Shine a flashlight into the gas tank and see there is any rust (presuming steel tank) it's not the end of the world but would need to be dealt with pronto otherwise you'll very likely plug up the fuel system with debris.

All that said, it could be a good deal...

• Like 1

I would talk him down a bit. They were 4k new. Sure the bike has just enough miles to be broken in...but it has no aftermarket because it was only in production for two years and sitting that long is going to make anything that holds grease or is supposed to have fluid running through it potentially brittle and in need of replacement. Awesome find, as I love my 230, but a grand off what it cost new? ehhh. (My asking price would start @ 3k too if it were mine lol) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buryurfear14 said:

I would talk him down a bit. They were 4k new. Sure the bike has just enough miles to be broken in...but it has no aftermarket because it was only in production for two years and sitting that long is going to make anything that holds grease or is supposed to have fluid running through it potentially brittle and in need of replacement. Awesome find, as I love my 230, but a grand off what it cost new? ehhh. (My asking price would start @ 3k too if it were mine lol) 

They were only imported to the US for 2 years but they were produced for overseas sales for longer then that as XR230M's and the enduro XR230L models.   Aftermarket parts need to come from Japan.

And those are built to the same spec as the us models? I know they look a bit different.

RMATVMV, Motosport, bikebandit, and on and on have hardly anything. Best you get is Crfsonly and xrsonly.