Rear sprocket TALON TR113 42 tooth

Brought the TALON TR113 42 tooth rear sprocket of MXSTORE (Australia) because I wanted to adjust my gearing on my CRF250L I also brought the 13 tooth front sprocket.

The 13 tooth front sprocket went on a treat.

The rear sprocket didn’t go together so well, it fits the original stock rim for the 250L but the original sprocket bolts are to big for the new TALON sprocket. I’m going out tomorrow to get some new bolts, but thought I’d try and save somebody else’s time by mentioning this problem on this forum.

Sydney, Australia.

IMG_9066.JPG

IMG_9070.JPG

• Like 1

I think that's a dirt bike sprocket - maybe for a CRF250R/X.  Street bike (and L) sprockets don't have countersunk bolts/holes.

I think that's a dirt bike sprocket - maybe for a CRF250R/X.  Street bike (and L) sprockets don't have countersunk bolts/holes.

Thanks for the info mate, what do you think I should do? Get smaller bolts to suit or will it be to sloppy?

So, I ended up going to the local motorbike shop and they said it would be fine if you use it, they gave me some new bolts and some advice, so I’m pretty confident it should be fine. They also said they couldn’t actually get one like the stock one with 42 teeth. I’m going to run it and see what happens. And obviously keep an eye on it.

I’ve got the 13T supersprox front

sprocket and the talon 42 tooth sprocket on the rear with a RHK 428 heavy duty chain.

IMG_9078.thumb.JPG.abba6361c78edb23589e59ce9b085481.JPG

IMG_9076.thumb.JPG.8bdd0be6cd68b72ec2ccfa6e8f844a9c.JPGIMG_9077.thumb.JPG.4f2504b7161c97a13b414cc53d281292.JPG

I would suggest keeping a close eye on it. With the smaller bolts, it gives it the opportunity to loosen up and be sloppy. If that happens, your hub will be junk very quickly. Will make the holes oblong, and wont work with the right sprocket either.

• Like 2

Yep, it was a really bad idea to use smaller bolts.

Also, don’t go back to the shop that told you it would work.

• Like 1

I would suggest keeping a close eye on it. With the smaller bolts, it gives it the opportunity to loosen up and be sloppy. If that happens, your hub will be junk very quickly. Will make the holes oblong, and wont work with the right sprocket either.

Yeah true, thanks for the advice. I’m going to mark spots thru the sprocket so I can see easily if it has shifted.
They said they can’t get one like the original?
I could probably get one off CRFSONLY but I’m all the way over here in Australia, I put some things together and made a mock order to my address and it was nearly $100 postage. But I guess that’s cheaper then a new hub

Try Sunstar sprockets, they make a 42 tooth for your bike. Available through FICEDA ACCESSORIES in Australia.  

Thanks! Great website I will go into the store and check it out because it’s nearby. Cheers for that

The 42 rear is out there, bunches of us already run one. Mine is a PBI #3167. I believe I got mine from Amazon.

Maybe ask for one that fits these bikes...XR-250R 90-95, CRF-250L 13-19, XR-600R 91-00, XR-650L 93-17. Those all take the same rear sprocket according to PBI's web site.

There has also been talk of a conversion kit to make other sprockets fit. It was different bolts and I think sleeves. Not sure. The info is on here, or maybe someone else will chime in.

Edited by RudeJeepin

The 42 rear is out there, bunches of us already run one. Mine is a PBI #3167. I believe I got mine from Amazon.
Maybe ask for one that fits these bikes...XR-250R 90-95, CRF-250L 13-19, XR-600R 91-00, XR-650L 93-17. Those all take the same rear sprocket a cording to PBI's web site.
There has also been talk of a conversion kit to make other sprockets fit. It was different bolts and I think sleeves. Not sure. The info is on here, or maybe someone else will chime in.

Thanks for the info, so you run the 42 rear? What do you think about it?
A few people have chimed in with some good information!!
I’ve sat back for a while searching thru this forum and now I’m going to start posting things I come across on the bike, there is a lot of really knowledgeable people on here and I’m keen to have a chat

2 hours ago, Angry_Labrador said:

Thanks for the info, so you run the 42 rear? What do you think about it?
A few people have chimed in with some good information!!
I’ve sat back for a while searching thru this forum and now I’m going to start posting things I come across on the bike, there is a lot of really knowledgeable people on here and I’m keen to have a chat

I'm running 13/42 and will go probably lower when these wear out. 

I have JT sprockets steel on the the front and PBI aluminum on the rear, both seem to be good quality.

13/42, clutch mod and stock every where else. Does ok for what I do, but could be lower for the trails. I don't run much HWY, if I do it's 55mph limit.

Would like to do the exhaust and controller eventually to make a little more power.

I'm running 13/42 and will go probably lower when these wear out. 
I have JT sprockets steel on the the front and PBI aluminum on the rear, both seem to be good quality.
13/42, clutch mod and stock every where else. Does ok for what I do, but could be lower for the trails. I don't run much HWY, if I do it's 55mph limit.
Would like to do the exhaust and controller eventually to make a little more power.

Sounds good mate.
What clutch mod did you do?

I pulled mine apart and took the judder plate out and that other plate that was with it.
Also have a K&N air filter and the 13/42 sprockets with a new chain.
I also have renthal bars, I replaced them after I realised the stock bar was a little bit bent.

Haven’t taken the bike for a run yet because I’m worried about the sprocket and oil leak.

What fuel do you run? 95,98?

I also have a small oil leak from the weeper, do you have that issue also?

5 minutes ago, Angry_Labrador said:

Sounds good mate.
What clutch mod did you do?

I pulled mine apart and took the judder plate out and that other plate that was with it.
Also have a K&N air filter and the 13/42 sprockets with a new chain.
I also have renthal bars, I replaced them after I realised the stock bar was a little bit bent.

Haven’t taken the bike for a run yet because I’m worried about the sprocket and oil leak.

What fuel do you run? 95,98?

I also have a small oil leak from the weeper, do you have that issue also?

I removed my judder spring and replaced with an oem friction disk and heaver springs. I had very few miles so I wanted to see what the standard friction discs would feel like. Eventually I will put a set of EBC friction discs in to see if there is a difference.

I run 87-89 non-ethonal, I'm in the US. No oil leak from the weep hole.

Search on here, it has come up before.

I removed my judder spring and replaced with an oem friction disk and heaver springs. I had very few miles so I wanted to see what the standard friction discs would feel like. Eventually I will put a set of EBC friction discs in to see if there is a difference.
I run 87-89 non-ethonal, I'm in the US. No oil leak from the weep hole.
Search on here, it has come up before.

Did you notice a difference?

My clutch is 500km old it looked fine when I opened it up so I didn’t replace it.

Yeah I have looked into the leak, I know what it is and how to fix it (YouTube/ThumperTalk).
Keep an eye out for it because it caught me by surprise.

The stock clutch will slip under certain condition, that is why we pull the judder spring and the small friction disc and replace it with a full size friction disc.

I noticed a difference, it was worth the effort to me. Most that have done it agree.

The stock clutch will slip under certain condition, that is why we pull the judder spring and the small friction disc and replace it with a full size friction disc.
I noticed a difference, it was worth the effort to me. Most that have done it agree.

Yeah for sure, so when you said replace it with a full size friction disc did you actually go and get another disc or the new clutch came with a extra disc?

Because I just took the spring out and the other shim then put the clutch back in as it was without the judder plate and shim.

It seemed to grab like normal but like I said I haven’t taken it for a spin yet..

7 hours ago, Angry_Labrador said:

Yeah for sure, so when you said replace it with a full size friction disc did you actually go and get another disc or the new clutch came with a extra disc?

Because I just took the spring out and the other shim then put the clutch back in as it was without the judder plate and shim.

It seemed to grab like normal but like I said I haven’t taken it for a spin yet..

Here is a pic, the 3 uppers (small friction disc and 2 spring plates, make up the "judder spring") are what I removed and replaced it with the (full size) friction plate that is just barely showing in the pic._DSC3864-X2.jpg.53b93b2268f0831952e2bf68bb439069.jpg

Notice the size difference of the 2 friction discs.

My bike had low miles (500ish) so I bought 1 stock oem friction disc, soaked it in oil for a few days. Then changed out the parts and did an oil change.

Here is where it started.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-honda-crf250l-adventure-traveler-thread.859691/page-2#post-20984207

Here is a pic, the 3 uppers (small friction disc and 2 spring plates, make up the "judder spring") are what I removed and replaced it with the (full size) friction plate that is just barely showing in the pic._DSC3864-X2.jpg.53b93b2268f0831952e2bf68bb439069.jpg
Notice the size difference of the 2 friction discs.
My bike had low miles (500ish) so I bought 1 stock oem friction disc, soaked it in oil for a few days. Then changed out the parts and did an oil change.
Here is where it started.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-honda-crf250l-adventure-traveler-thread.859691/page-2#post-20984207

Thanks for that mate, I appreciate your help. I’m going into another shop today to see what I can get ordered in for my bike, hopefully they have a bit more stuff than that other place or they can help me out a bit more.
Will take the bike apart again in the next few days and will let you know how it all shapes up