Today I installed a TST fender eliminator, TST flush mount blinkers and new levers on myDRZ. During the test drive everything was fine. About an hour later I took it out to run to the store. I popped a wheelie and noticed I forgot to tighten the bolt that holds the clutch lever into the housing. As I was riding the wheelie the bolt fell off. I immediately hit the back brake and came to a stop. Put the bike in neutral and assed how I was gonna get home. Not even a minute later the bike sputtered like it was cold and the choke wasn’t on then the bike dies.  I try restarting the bike but nothing happens not even a click or turn over noise, but it can be bump started and it runs fine(how I got home). My question is why won’t hitting the start button and pulling in the clutch start the bike I have to jump start it to get it to turn over. Keep in mind when I turn the key on all the lights come on it just won’t start when I press the ignition button. Any ideas on trouble shooting or possible causes? This bike has 1,189 miles on it and I completed the first service at the dealership.

There is a safety switch in the clutch lever pivot that prevents the starter circuit from being completed unless the clutch is in.   I assume from your write up that you replaced the bolt and the bike won't start....something is wrong with the switch.  Some folks cut it out of the circuit and solder the wires together; I put in a bypass switch that I can activate if the switch ever fails....or if the bolt falls out, I guess.  

• Like 1

Most likely something in the wiring at the clutch switch. Could also be the side stand switch as you might have come down hard enough to jar it loose and kill the bike. Check the wiring on both and if problem still persists then you know to move on to something else.