Hot Start broke the housing of the plunger on the carb

Hi. So I was going to take out the carburetor for a clean from my Honda CRF250 because my bike wasn't starting, when i was removing the plunger from the carb it broke a piece off the housing as it sat really tight (It's one of those aluminium cable/plunger) 

I was wondering what the best and cheapest fix is for this? I was thinking of just sealing the hole with chemical metal and silicone but i was wondering if there is a way to repair it and keep the hot start? The piece that chipped off came in two pieces.

Don't tell me to buy a whole new carb as I don't really have an income when studying.

57081023_2441517645861280_5101987965836460032_n.jpg

57181890_378892659383395_4397040019877920768_n.jpg

1. Correct fix, buy new carb housing and install all your internals.

2. If you still have the broken peice(s), take to a tig welder and have the peice(s) welded back in place. I would suggest threading a bolt in place during welding.

3. Cheap fix, clean carb outside, place hot start in threaded bung, JB weld it in place. Less than $10.

You will need the Hot Start in the summer!!!

J-B kwikweld High Strenth:

-forms a permanent bond
-can be shaped, tapped, filed, sanded, drilled after curing
-sets in 6 minutes
-fully cured in 4-6 hours
-rated at a tensile strength of 2424 PSI
-will withstand up to 300 degree F

Used this on my son's KX65 fuel bowl that had a crack 2 years ago. Daughter rode it last weekend with no issues.

1 hour ago, snb73 said:

1. Correct fix, buy new carb housing and install all your internals.

2. If you still have the broken peice(s), take to a tig welder and have the peice(s) welded back in place. I would suggest threading a bolt in place during welding.

3. Cheap fix, clean carb outside, place hot start in threaded bung, JB weld it in place. Less than $10.

You will need the Hot Start in the summer!!!

J-B kwikweld High Strenth:

-forms a permanent bond
-can be shaped, tapped, filed, sanded, drilled after curing
-sets in 6 minutes
-fully cured in 4-6 hours
-rated at a tensile strength of 2424 PSI
-will withstand up to 300 degree F

Used this on my son's KX65 fuel bowl that had a crack 2 years ago. Daughter rode it last weekend with no issues.

IMO 2 part JB Weld is better otherwise what I would do in order :thumbsup:

OP didn't post year of the bike but IMO might have to buy a used carb or housing cus doesn't look at least Bike Bandit does list the OEM housing but that was a quick check for my 05.

Posted (edited)

Loosing the convenience of the handle bar mounted lever,

if you don't mind reaching down to the carburetor when the hot start function is required,

if it were my bike I'd install a 'choke' style plunger (Yamaha part number:  5TA-14171-00-00)

coat the threads and fill any gaps with gasoline resistant case sealer like Yamabond or Motoseal.

Edited by mlatour

4 hours ago, mlatour said:

Rather than the convenience of the handle bar mounted lever,

if you don't mind reaching down to the carburetor when the hot start function is required.

If it were my bike I'd install a 'choke' style plunger (Yamaha part number:  5TA-14171-00-00)

coat the threads and fill any gaps with gasoline resistant case sealer like Yamabond or Motoseal.

This is what I did to mine. Got tired of dealing with it, don't use it anyway. Had to buy a tap, 10x1mm, I believe, because I had to dig the plastic OE piece out. Check Sudco, as they have all that sort of stuff.

Jb weld it up. Find the part that screws in or use a bolt with the same thread. Coat it with mold release and wax it with carnuba wax. Clean the carb really well, screw in the Bolt/part and coat it with jb weld. Maybe put it in a 150-170 deg oven to speed up the cure. Once cured remove the bolt, it should come out since you waxed and coated it with mold release. Should be good to go. Thicker jb weld is better. If it’s too thin it will just peel off.

• Like 1