KLX140 vs KLX250 for Old Man

Ok - maybe I'm not that old - I'm 45 6'2"/225.  I just purchased a 2019 Z400 and I love it - can't recommend it enough.  I'd like to get something off-road to play with too.  Basic trail riding - not motocross, moguls, etc.  Too old for that and the back won't take it.  :-)  I'd basically be in the Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania area with it - so nothing too crazy.

I'm looking at the KLX250 but don't really need all the street legal stuff, so I started looking at the KX250 but that's $7500.

I then looked at the KLX140 - price point is good, but afraid it won't have enough power to climb up a hill with my fat butt on the machine.

Anyone with thoughts about the 140 vs 250 - power-wise.  Bumping up another 2 grand I know will make a difference, but not sure if I can get away with a 140 or not

I am 49 and weigh the same as you. Haven’t owned any of the bikes you mention but did have a CRF150F which i used for trail riding. I think the CRF150F compares closely to the KLX140 albeit heavier and with less ground clearance. The CRF150F’s gearing made it a tractor and it would lug me around in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear all day but was definitely a bit underpower for my weight. It would struggle a bit in the deep sand and with log crossings due the low clearance (might have been me and not the bike).

I ended up selling the CRF150F and getting a YZ250F which has more than enough power to do whatever I want it to do along with a lot more ground clearance.

I will let others who have owned a KX250 comment on it for trail riding, but I am thinking a 125cc 2-stroke or 230cc or 250cc 4-stroke might serve you better but your riding experience and riding style will influence which bike will serve you best.

Are you looking to stick with a Kawasaki or open the other brands?

I like Kawasaki's stuff, but like Yamaha's stuff too.

My fear with the KLX line is it's probably not well suited at just one thing.  It's trying to be on and off road at the same time.  Which would make sense if I lived out west, but being in the Midwest.

I'm probably going to end up just throwing a bike in the back of the truck and driving 30 minutes or a couple hours away and making a camping or weekend out of it.  I'm thinking the KX 250 might be the way to go.  Price-wise, you can pick it up for about 5000 with a rebate that is happening now.  Rather have room to grow rather than be under-powered.

Thanks for weighing in.  I appreciate it.

Oh, a question - since I'm not doing "motocross" do you like the TT-R230, etc type bikes?  Think they might be appropriate for moderate to possibly aggressive trail riding?

Zack

Yeah. I almost suggested you check out either a CRF230F or TTR230. Both are nice trail bikes and reliable.

If you have a friend with one, perhaps you could test ride it and see if it has enough power for you.

If you definitively want a bit more power you could check out the CRF250x, the YZ250FX, or the WR250F.

The local Honda dealership let me that all of Honda’s trail bikes will be EFI next year if that makes a difference in your thinking.

Both bikes you mention are great bikes. I’ve owned a klx250s big bore pumper carb exhaust, but the aftermarket costs aren’t small. Made the machine a lot more fun tho. The klx140 is a teenagers sized bike 19” & 16” rims I believe, and 225 is a lot for a 140cc 4 stroke to haul around. 

The ttr230 is very mild mannered. I just did a rejet, regear, and opened up the exhaust for more flow. Still kinda mild tho. 

No one has suggested a kdx200 or 220 yet. It’s a very worthy 2stroke and I think they are plated for street use.  Jeff fredette has aftermarket go fast parts and can be made very competitive, as he raced them enduro type stuff.  Factory no longer manufactures them but they can be found on Craigslist priced accordingly. Kdxrider.net has lots of info. 

At your weight you might need to upgrade the spring rates front &rear of the bikes that were listed. 

I’d recommend test riding as many as you can before you lay out any cash. 

If you'd like a 2 stroke check out the GPX TSE 250 R.
Affordable new, and there are a couple of used for sale.
If you'd like a 4 stroke check out FSE 250 E or R.
E is more economical and air cooled. R is water cooled.
Both 2&4 are very good, not full raging race bikes. Both have good power delivery. Good woods bikes.
Check them out in a thread on here or Facebook.

I am 53 with some back issues, 190lbs and short. I used to race enduros with my brother. I have a 12 KLX250S, I have rode some really nasty off road and the bike takes it all. If you want a pure dirt bike, just put MX tires on it. The suspension is much more plush than the CRF230 or the TTR230. It is basically a KDX200 with a four stroke. I owned a KDX for years, great bike, but the 4 stroke is much more forgiving in the power category, think slick loose rocky hills after a sharp corner. Any of these small bikes need an aftermarket pipe and removing the air lid. My KLX250 is a blast off road, I have dual sport tires and it is fun on the road too, but you are not going to go 80 mph for a long time. I have about 5k on the bike and replaced one $10 part (countershaft seal), not once did it leave me stranded and I ride alone.

No way you could go wrong with the KLX250, it is as bulletproof as an old XR. I think the 140 will be too small for a 6'2" guy.

• Like 1

Klx250s 289# dry 18 hp

crf230 249# dry

ttr230 242# dry

klx140 209 wet

kdx200 239 dry 37 hp  https://www.samscycle.net/2000-Kawasaki-KDX-220.html this one is for sale now $2600 check the first gear power wheelie, that’s something none of the other bikes I’ve listed here can do!

Kinda puts it into a better perspective lol!

After watching the you tube vid, the gpx bike needs a ktm air filter cage right off the showroom floor. Gas cap strips out. So it sounds like it needs a few ktm parts right off the git go...no bueno

Edited by 5Rs

Posted (edited)

Where are you planning on riding this bike?

Would it be on private property away from everyone else, or some public land with other people out there?

Or, is it some trail through the woods where all the locals ride at?

Consider that any KX or YZ ain't exactly quiet with the amount of noise they make since they are intended for closed-course racing.

Edited by YZEtc

Klx250s 289# dry 18 hp
crf230 249# dry
ttr230 242# dry
klx140 209 wet
kdx200 239 dry 37 hp  https://www.samscycle.net/2000-Kawasaki-KDX-220.html this one is for sale now $2600 check the first gear power wheelie, that’s something none of the other bikes I’ve listed here can do!
Kinda puts it into a better perspective lol!
After watching the you tube vid, the gpx bike needs a ktm air filter cage right off the showroom floor. Gas cap strips out. So it sounds like it needs a few ktm parts right off the git go...no bueno

My air filter is fine, i did buy a second with a cage. Just installed it so I have a clean/spare. Gas cap issue has been corrected and newer models have a bigger tank. Mine cap is a bad one. I will at some point be ordering the bigger tank with new cap.
RMATVMC did a good job has the GPX bikes on a pull down.
I can go on YouTube or even on this forum and find issues with every bike. Or you can watch the other videos that show bikes with happy owners. I do recommend watching / reading as much as possible, on any bike considered.
My issue with GPX had been parts availability, and communication. I'm assured both have improved.

Big difference between the KLX140 and KLX250 is seat height (KLX140 is aimed at smaller people). You are 6'2" which in my opinion would make the KLX140 too small for you to be comfortable on.

I am a bit older (61) and I just bought a new old stock 2018 last month. I am loving this motorcycle. Put about 1200 miles on it so far. I installed a Seat Concepts comfort seat on my KLX250 and was wishing they made a tall seat for it (I am 6'4" tall). A cramped cockpit can really get in the way of your riding enjoyment.

KLX250 BABY!! I'm 65 and have a Beta 300 crosstrainer, wanted a more dual sport/light adventure bike.  I'm very impressed with the little KLX, does great hauling my 200 lbs over some very tough terrain.  I'm still keeping the Beta for the fun trails.  The KLX is very well built but a little heavy at 300lbs.

I have no regrets with buying the bike.

You mention trail riding and even mention the word aggressive.  With that in mind go to the real dirtbikes and forget the hybrids like the DRs, TTRs and KLXs.  Most major manufacturer's make trail/single track focused dirtbikes now.  Examples of these are the YZ-X lines, KTM XC and XC-W lines, Hondas CRF-X lines, etc.  If you are adamant about the KLX line I would not suggest the KLX140 for a person 6'-2" tall.  You will be cramped and uncomfortable after a short period of time.