stock turn on fuel mixture screw

took apart my carb to clean it and had to remove the fuel mix screw because it is a thumb screw and I could not get the bowl off. put it back together and now I do not know how many turns to set it to. The bike runs but it dies when I gun the throttle

Posted (edited)

In general, most Keihin FCR carbs are meant to run in the 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 range, 

initially set it at 1-3/4 and fine tune it for best idle once the bike has been ridden and engine up to operating temp.

If the engine previously ran fine on the same jetting specs, if best results are obtained outside of that range

it could point to issues like:    air leak, blocked pilot jet or fuel passage etc.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

engine runs fine, it is just when I really gun it and thanks for the specs

• Like 1

It it starts and idles reasonably well, 'bogs when you gun it' is more likely accelerator pump related.

• Like 1

if it is what I think you are talking about, that works fine. When I had the carb off and twisted the throttle a stream of gasoline would shoot from the carb. It runs fine and revs up quickly it is just when I twist it lightning fast that it dies, like as fast as humanly possible. and this is at stand still/not in gear. I have not ridden it yet due to the seller giving the wrong tire but I had the rim on and noticed that when it is in gear the wheel keeps spinning when I hold the clutch. the wheel will stop and the engine will stay running when I press the brake but im worried when I get on it later and grab it the clutch and put it in gear it will lurch, which will mean 60 bucks for new clutch kit

Posted (edited)

With the bike on a stand, rear wheel spinning while in gear / pulling the clutch is normal. (moreso on a cold engine / viscous oil)

Don't judge 'bogging' by revving it in neutral on a stand but rather how the engine responds when actually riding the bike.

Edited by mlatour

ok, I am going to try to get the tire from the guy when I go to get the bill of sale. He shafted me on the tire but then again I traded him for a xr100. I am meeting him on sunday so I will try ride it by Monday and I will see then