Heavier PWK throttle spring

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

I have a 2013 KTM 300xcw that I'd like to install a stiffer spring into the Keihin PWK carb for a heavier throttle pull, just to see if I'd like it.

Anyone know of one I could try with the right dimensions and length? Perhaps used in the same PWK carb but a different make bike?

I read of these Husky guys not liking the heavy spring in their TE300s with Mikuni carbs and swapping them out for lighter springs. I'd try to get one of those guys to send me their old stiffer spring if I thought it would be compatible with my Keihin.

Edited by Trailryder42

It isn't ,the latest spring from the 16 keihin carb fitted to the ktms is the heaviest ,they had a light one in around 13 that they super ceeded

Posted (edited)

Thanks mog. I'll look up '16 spring.

Edit: The '13 and '16 springs have the same part number.

Edited by Trailryder42

Why would you ever want a heavier throttle pull?  I strive for the lightest pull possible to ward off arm pump. 

The Mikuni and Keihin springs are not interchangeable if I remember correctly.  I tried the opposite as you, to put a light Keihin spring in my Mikuni and they're different diameters (Keihin is larger).  A Mikuni spring will be too small to fit around the snub of the carb cover of your Keihin. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kangaroo_Smasher said:

Why would you ever want a heavier throttle pull?  I strive for the lightest pull possible to ward off arm pump. 

The Mikuni and Keihin springs are not interchangeable if I remember correctly.  I tried the opposite as you, to put a light Keihin spring in my Mikuni and they're different diameters (Keihin is larger).  A Mikuni spring will be too small to fit around the snub of the carb cover of your Keihin. 

I guess because I've not had one on a 2 stroke, not that I remember anyway. Never had a problem with the heavier pull of a dual cable setup on my XR. I'm not talking a drastic change, just noticeable.

Just want to see if I like it, see if it compliments my G2 throttle tamer setup, Rekluse and how I have my bike set up for trail riding and changing trail conditions from ride to ride, location to location, with a mild/wild map switch and 1/8 turn mild to wild adjustment on the PV. It's an old mans 300 and does me well.

A few slides stuck wide open with the lighter spring

Just now, mog said:

A few slides stuck wide open with the lighter spring

I've had that happen. On an old '94 Suzuki RM250 years ago. Broke my back because of it.

why not use washers to compress the spring more. You could also do the same thing with clutch springs.