california HABEGGER ROAD OUTSIDE OF BISHOP OPEN TO OHV?

Trying to connect a Valley floor bishop loop that goes through buttermilks up to S lake rd near sabrina then I would like to hit Habbeger rd up into coyote flat... Does anyone know if moto is frowned upon up this trail?  I know its deep snow at the moment planning for the early summer... hopeful.  

Last time I was in that micro-area a few years ago, trail 08s121 was open to horses and hiking only (+ maybe non-motorized mountain bikes?).  Said trail connected to S. Lake Rd. via someone's gated residential property.  Near a higher point of the trail, there was a gate post that looked like it had been cut through. 

To access Coyote Flats with motorcycle, I stage at Izaak Walton Park on W. Line St.  Just west on W. Line St., turn left (south) on Reata Rd., go about a mile or so, curving a bit east, and turn right on Coyote Valley Rd.  You can take the 50+mile loop to Big Pine.  The first part is about 5 miles with a lot of deeper sand.  The southern part of the loop toward Big Pine is pretty challenging for non-veterans (e.g., steep downhills including some deep sand), and connects back to Bishop either on Hwy 395 or on an intricate series of dirt/paved roads/trails.. I once saw a lifted Toyota 4X4 stuck/abandoned downhill there just at the start of the downhill section to Big Pine. 

I took the loop all the way around a couple of times, but more often I just went back the way I came from Bishop.  It took me about ten visits to Coyote Flats to cover all the trails up there!  Often, I rode all day up there without seeing another rider.  Deer hunting season and riding club events are exceptions.  Lotsa Easter Egg surprises there if you aren't in too much of a hurry.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks,  I am pretty much just curious if I can go up it without getting hassled.  I can always just come back to town make a right and head up that wash up to Coyote.  Trying to link something cool and stay off pavement as much as possible.  

10 hours ago, Ben Hagle said:

Thanks,  I am pretty much just curious if I can go up it without getting hassled.  I can always just come back to town make a right and head up that wash up to Coyote.  Trying to link something cool and stay off pavement as much as possible.  

PM sent