How do you read suspension shim sizes

Hi all.

2017 AER sxf 450

I just bought some race tech gold valves and I'm instantly regretting it. Worst instructions I have ever seen and you have to drill holes in the valves. At the price they charge they should come ready for your bike. Cheap move on their part if you ask me. Not like most people have a 1.3mm drill bit handy!

Would be nice if the shims were stacked for you but I guess that's part of the fun.

I got three bags full of shims. It would be nice if they labelled them compression or rebound etc to get you started, but no. Just some random codes.

So. How do you read the shim sizes. Which number is the width height bore etc... and why are some only listed with two numbers?

For example.

.15x30

.15x28

.15x20x8 

Thanks in advance

IMG-20190419-WA0002.jpeg

30mm shim with a thickness of 0.15mm

thanks

15x30x8

thickness, width, bore.

I am having to measure all the shims, such a tedious task. Racetech certainly have a good business model. Let the punter do the work. Never again! It better be worth the results 

thanks
15x30x8
thickness, width, bore.
I am having to measure all the shims, such a tedious task. Racetech certainly have a good business model. Let the punter do the work. Never again! It better be worth the results 
For how long they have been doing it ,the package is terrible , most come here to get answers like you had to

What BS. They should be zip tied and labeled ready for install, or packaged separately and labeled.

It really is not possible to pre-config the shim stack and have multiple suppliers sell this product. Its custom after all. How ever, how they package the shims is frustrating. The numbering system used is for their benefit, not the customers. Ideally it should be packaged by Inside diameter (ID) and shim thickness. That way, all you need to do is isolate the outside diameter (OD). 

Accordingly I spent about an hour or so measuring every single shim that was packaged and sorted them by ID and thickness. I still  double checked every shim spec as built the stack, but at least I knew which assortment of shims to quickly go too. 

It really is not possible to pre-config the shim stack and have multiple suppliers sell this product. Its custom after all. How ever, how they package the shims is frustrating. The numbering system used is for their benefit, not the customers. Ideally it should be packaged by Inside diameter (ID) and shim thickness. That way, all you need to do is isolate the outside diameter (OD). 
Accordingly I spent about an hour or so measuring every single shim that was packaged and sorted them by ID and thickness. I still  double checked every shim spec as built the stack, but at least I knew which assortment of shims to quickly go too. 

I would expect better ,for the price they charge the instructions should be way better ,the shims should be labelled so a new person understands

It's poor imo

On 4/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, love mx said:

Hi all.

2017 AER sxf 450

I just bought some race tech gold valves and I'm instantly regretting it. Worst instructions I have ever seen and you have to drill holes in the valves. At the price they charge they should come ready for your bike. Cheap move on their part if you ask me. Not like most people have a 1.3mm drill bit handy!

Would be nice if the shims were stacked for you but I guess that's part of the fun.

I got three bags full of shims. It would be nice if they labelled them compression or rebound etc to get you started, but no. Just some random codes.

So. How do you read the shim sizes. Which number is the width height bore etc... and why are some only listed with two numbers?

For example.

.15x30

.15x28

.15x20x8 

Thanks in advance

IMG-20190419-WA0002.jpeg

I'm sorry about your frustration.  Hopefully I can offer a bit of explanation as well as some help to answer any questions you have.

First off, let me make both myself and our Tech Support department available to you.  My direct email is chris@racetech.com and I'm happy to make my direct personal cell number available to you via email as well.  I understand going through the process can arise some questions that might not be during business hours, and I'm happy to help as much as I can to get the project done correctly on your schedule.  Also, any tech or setup questions can be guided to tech@racetech.com.  This includes after the product is installed, any tuning questions or direction needed whether it is clickers or a setting change.

Hopefully that'll help make the install go more smoothly for you.

As far as why the packaging and instructions are as they are - the Gold Valve Kit is intended to be installed by someone familiar with suspension components and a majority of our customers install suspension as part of their business.  Because of this, they require versatility.  For example, the bleed in the valve is tunable.  For Supercross/AX for example, much smaller bleeds are run versus outdoors.  That is also why there are extra shims packaged as well.  To allow you to personalize and customize the valving.

What you bought is beyond the product, it's over 35 years of development into not just the evolution of the valve, but also the valving settings that are constantly evolving.  Each year Race Tech spends over a million dollars on R&D to ensure we can stand behind our 100% guarantee to exceed your highest expectations.  Again, if you aren't happy with the ride, please let us know, as we will stand behind it and work with you to make sure you are happy with the end product.

Thank you for choosing Race Tech and please let me know if there is anything additional I can do to make the process from here forward go more smoothly.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Hey,

So I installed the compression gold valve and noticed there was ply movement on the piston. Is this normal?

The compression spring also has some free play. Again, is this normal?

Thanks

Number one question no way ,built wrong

No 2 question yes they have free play

On questions one. I can only think of adding a few spacing shims to take away some of the play. What do you think?

Yes that's the answer

Thank you, a few extra spacing shims made it all snug. 

Posted (edited)

I like race tech because they have been helpful to me with questions and settings changes and relatively inexpensive compared to other companies ive dealt with who were very secretive and costly to make revisions. 

I don't think they deserve the flack, they could be more organized with the shims but they really are the only company that caters to the diy tuner so until there are other companies that can match their price and package I'll keep using them..

Edited by The Creature
  • Like 2

I like race tech because they have been helpful to me with questions and settings changes and relatively inexpensive compared to other companies ive dealt with who were very secretive and costly to make revisions. 
I don't think they deserve the flack, they could be more organized with the shims but they really are the only company that caters to the diy tuner so until there are other companies that can match their price and package I'll keep using them..
Whilst I think they are unique, to sell a kit for DIY and then say it's mostly for experienced tuners is a bit off

The DIY is an option not the norm.....what is the percentage of riders that do their own suspension work ?  There's nothing wrong in their package. If a person is too lazy to sort out the shims then I question his patience to sort out his final stack as seldom is the first stack the final one. People want everything handed to them on a silver platter. If this is a persons attitude towards suspension modification then he should just take his suspension to an experienced tuner. How the shims are packaged is such a small part of the equation. I would suggest to anyone buying the RT components to also buy some sort of plastic box(s) with small compartments that can be labelled and the shims sorted and stored in the box(es) prior to do anything. First time users should view the video if one comes with the package or go to the webb to locate videos (RT has them on Youtube) to supplement their instruction page.

• Like 1

The DIY is an option not the norm.....what is the percentage of riders that do their own suspension work ?  There's nothing wrong in their package. If a person is too lazy to sort out the shims then I question his patience to sort out his final stack as seldom is the first stack the final one. People want everything handed to them on a silver platter. If this is a persons attitude towards suspension modification then he should just take his suspension to an experienced tuner. How the shims are packaged is such a small part of the equation. I would suggest to anyone buying the RT components to also buy some sort of plastic box(s) with small compartments that can be labelled and the shims sorted and stored in the box(es) prior to do anything. First time users should view the video if one comes with the package or go to the webb to locate videos (RT has them on Youtube) to supplement their instruction page.
I don't think the problem is the packaging of the shims ,but the instructions,they need to be better after people asking the same question for over 20 years ,RT has to know that it would take minutes to make the instructions better , people would he happier ,buy more products ,less calls to service dept to sort out small niggles

Its been a long long time since I bought a gold valve ,,,,,do they still come with a video ? I may be dating myself on the gold valves and I don't even remember reading the instruction as in my case the weren't really necessary but the video was all that was needed. update me mog...

I don't know ,I just know people on here are always asking the same question as they are stuck and struggle to find the answers

Hi guys, I dont suppose you know where to I can buy a 38mm shaft clamp. I am struggling to find somewhere that does it in the UK and to get the 24mm nut off...

20190425_170024.jpg