2017 crf250l ejk/stage 1 - my tuning journey

There is a serious lack of info on EJK tuning with stage 1 mods for the 2017 crf250l so I figured I would share my tuning process to hopefully help someone else.

Specs:

-2017 Crf250l (non rally)

-1600 miles on the bike (just got it last October brand new)

-Ejk programmer

-FMF Megabomb header

-FMF Q4 muffler

-K&N filter

-Air box mod using replacement side cover with 6x Crfonly 1 inch foam filled plugs, epoxied in

-Stock 14 tooth front sprocket

-42 tooth Renthal alluminum rear sprocket

(Preference for off road use is 13/42 but I had to go back to 14/42 due to doing a lot more street riding now and the rpms being to high for my taste on street and wanting to get a bit more top speed out of it)

-Stock chain

-Flat land racing skid plate

-Zeta pro armor hand guards

-Hammerhead forged shift lever

-Stock tires and tubes

-Enduro series rear luggage rack

-SpeedoDRD speedometer programmer

My weight: 283 lbs

My elevation: 404' above see level

Temperature during tuning: 84 F

Fuel octane: 91

Gas milage, stock: 68 mpg

Gas milage, stage 1 with stock EJK settings: 52 mpg (running noticable rich)

Stock EJK settings:

3 - 4.5 - 4.5 - 5 - 4.5 - 45.

Ran way too rich across the board and acceleration fuel kicked in too late. Also cruise was kicking in too late for street riding.

1st tune try EJK settings:

2 - 4.5 - 4.5 - 4 - 2.5 - 4.5

Noticable better acceleration performance by kicking in the fuel at 2.5k rpm from a stop. Cruise fuel ratio noticeably better. Runs a lot quieter cruising and sounds like it is a lot happier. Dropping cruise to 4 made low rpm, very mild acceleration when stuck in traffic a lot better allowing to stay in a higher gear. The acceleration transition is smoother. Acceleration and WOT is way to rich.

2nd tune try EJK setting will be:

2 - 4 - 4 - 3.5 - 2.5 - 4.5

Not sure if I will be able to get a 2nd test in today but I will update as soon as I try out the new settings.

Hope this helps someone out.

20190419_121600.jpeg20190419_121618.jpeg20190419_121738.jpeg20190419_121628.jpeg20190405_114021.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Ok, managed another run today. Ended up trying the following settings:

2 - 3.5 - 4.0 - 3.5 - 2.5 - 4.5

Prognosis, not enough fuel during acceleration. Lost some power in the mid and low range. Most noticable from a stop. WOT seemed fine. Made the bike a heck of a lot quieter lol. Word of advise, mount your programmer somewhere easily accessible until you are done tuning. I mounted mine under the seat right away... I should have mounted it on the handle bars until I am done tuning the thing. Especially because now I need to know when exactly it is switching from acceleration to WOT.

Plan is to move the controller and play with acceleration and WOT settings. Everything else feels good.

I will post again once I got it dialed in and ran a full tank through it for mpg status.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks, keep the info coming. I have the same mods minus the k&n on my 2018. You're right, very little info out there. My mileage went from 75 down to 55 with the addition of stage one with stock ejk settings and I was getting quite a bit of spooge/carbon on the exhaust tip. Have been messing with settings but I am a pretty poor butt dyno judge. I think I am just gonna lower them until I get my mileage to about 65 where it probably should be when tuned properly with stage one mods. What I really should do is just have it dynoed but I'm cheap

• Like 1

I found a hill that on my last tune I was loosing speed at about 65 mpg going up full throttle in 6th gear. I think that will be my ticket to get WOT settings figured out for max HP.

Yea, dyno would be the best option but I got the same issue, I don't want to pay for it lol. My local motorcycle dyno guy charges 350+ to tune...

• Like 1

Hrm... so, it seems I was dead wrong about 4.5 being too rich... did WOT runs on the hill I was talking about and ended up at this:

2 - 4.5 - 5 - 3.5 - 2.5 - 4.5

WOT, I tried all the way from 4.0 to 6.0 and 5.0 ended up being the best with 5.5 being so close that something in between would probably be the best but EJK programmer limits you to 0.5 steps...

4.5 for acceleration on hill climbs. Where I was at is a curvy mountain road that goes up and down constantly with a few high speed hills and curves. Could get away with 4.0 on acceleration setting for better fuel economy on flat roads. 3.5 was definitely too low all the way around.

I never took cruise below 2.0. Playing with the idea of dropping it to 1.5 although that is a gray area where you have to watch your temps closely. The leaner the bike runs, the hotter it will run but cruise is the main area you will save gas on longer trips. Time will tell on this one. Curious how lean I can run it without overheating issues once we hit triple digit temps here. Hottest it got yesterday was 89 and the bike was happy with 2. Temp today during testing was 72.

MPGs for today was 51.8 with a ton of WOT runs. Will post again when I got some normal riding MPGs. Planning on taking the bike to work all next week with those settings.

• Like 1

Thanks, keep the info coming. I have the same mods minus the k&n on my 2018. You're right, very little info out there. My mileage went from 75 down to 55 with the addition of stage one with stock ejk settings and I was getting quite a bit of spooge/carbon on the exhaust tip. Have been messing with settings but I am a pretty poor butt dyno judge. I think I am just gonna lower them until I get my mileage to about 65 where it probably should be when tuned properly with stage one mods. What I really should do is just have it dynoed but I'm cheap
Where is your cruise setting at right now? Cruise is your biggest saver of fuel. Just have to be careful you don't run so lean, the bike overheats or knocks at higher rpms.

16 hours ago, initialforce said:

Where is your cruise setting at right now? Cruise is your biggest saver of fuel. Just have to be careful you don't run so lean, the bike overheats or knocks at higher rpms.

Cruise was at standard 3 until last week. I just turned it down to 2. hopefully that gets my mileage back up a bit. 

• Like 1

Little update, my rear alluminum sprocket decided to eat itself. Had to replace front, rear and the chain. Decided to go back to 13/42 and upgrading clutch tomorrow to crf only HD clutch. Had about 900 miles on the renthal alluminum rear sprocket. Total waste of money. Yes there is a difference in feel because of less unsprung weight but if you do high milage riding, stick with a steel rear sprocket. Not to mention steel is literally half the price...20190421_122033.jpeg20190421_124648.jpeg

Little update:

I have meanwhile upgraded to a crf only HD clutch kit which is so much better than stock and made a minor adjustment to my tune settings:

Dropped to 89 octane gas. Debating about dropping to 87 since the manual calls for a minimum of 86 for the 2017. Bike feels happier on 89 than 91. Faster burn and now it doesn't backfire as much at high altitude (talking above 6k) when releasing the throttle.

New settings:
1.5 - 4.5 - 5 - 2.5 - 3.5 - 4.5

Gas mileage varies with how I ride. Lowest I have seen on that is 51 during heavy off roading. Highest so far was 62 going to work babying it.

Also installed a water temp gauge and so far the bike is very happy with the change. Fan kicks on a bit more off roading at speeds below 20mph. Anything over 40mph, the bike hovers below 185. Also seeing 90F+ temps here lately.