2020/300XC TPI- "seen photo"

I was spending time with a friend who is the KTM Rep, and my friend who runs the dealership. First off, my friend would loose his job if the info (picture) on the 2020 KTM 300 XC TPI ever got out, so I will not go further into that. I solely went down there to see if the rumours were true, and if so, I was going to put a deposit on one, if it was going to be a TPI. They were true, so I handed over my visa for a deposit. 

The bike has different graphics, upgraded exhaust, suspension. It looks awesome! 

Question? I just bought a brand new Husky 501 FE, I had them re-map taking all the restrictions off, and the bike is an absolute "beast". I have always loved 2 strokes, so I'm tempted to add another to the collection. I have never rode one before, I'm 6 foot 3 and weigh 215lbs. I like to ride open terrain, not into tight technical stuff, like to always be as wide open as I can. 

Will I be disappointed with the difference in power from my 501 to the 300XC? Any info on guys making the switch would be SO appreciated before I drop that type of cash on another bike. 

49 minutes ago, Brad Mirrors said:

I was spending time with a friend who is the KTM Rep, and my friend who runs the dealership. First off, my friend would loose his job if the info (picture) on the 2020 KTM 300 XC TPI ever got out, so I will not go further into that. I solely went down there to see if the rumours were true, and if so, I was going to put a deposit on one, if it was going to be a TPI. They were true, so I handed over my visa for a deposit. 

The bike has different graphics, upgraded exhaust, suspension. It looks awesome! 

Question? I just bought a brand new Husky 501 FE, I had them re-map taking all the restrictions off, and the bike is an absolute "beast". I have always loved 2 strokes, so I'm tempted to add another to the collection. I have never rode one before, I'm 6 foot 3 and weigh 215lbs. I like to ride open terrain, not into tight technical stuff, like to always be as wide open as I can. 

Will I be disappointed with the difference in power from my 501 to the 300XC? Any info on guys making the switch would be SO appreciated before I drop that type of cash on another bike. 

6'3" 205 person here.

Plan on a head and either an aftermarket ECU like GET or getting the stock reflashed (yes its coming). The 300 has huge potential for more power and even stock impresses people.

Since you've already derestricted the 501, doing the same for the TPI won't be a big deal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brad Mirrors said:

Im the same size as you and ride 4-9k elevation.  However, Im the opposite and hate fast open terrain.  I like 1st thru 3rd gear alpine single track.

Yes, you will be dissapointed IMO.  The 500 is a torquey beast and fantastic for open terrain.  

However, maybe you dont like tight technical single track because that is not a great bike for it? The 300 will blow your mind in technical stuff.  It makes the hard stuff fun.

The 300 can produce as much hp as almost any Mx bike made , bit not sure about the tpi ,the carb one can make 55hp like a tuned 450

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GlennE said:

Im the same size as you and ride 4-9k elevation.  However, Im the opposite and hate fast open terrain.  I like 1st thru 3rd gear alpine single track.

Yes, you will be dissapointed IMO.  The 500 is a torquey beast and fantastic for open terrain.  

However, maybe you dont like tight technical single track because that is not a great bike for it? The 300 will blow your mind in technical stuff.  It makes the hard stuff fun.

Thank you- ya, maybe I just need to try something different, a little more changeling 

I'm all about the right tool for the job. Sounds like you don't need a 300 at all. The reason people buy them is for their low end for tight technical riding. Sounds like for the riding you do you already have the bike for it. I wouldn't go wasting your money on something that doesn't fit the riding you do.

Now, if money isn't an issue and you just want to spend it because you're bored, that's another story.

4 hours ago, Brad Mirrors said:

I like to ride open terrain, not into tight technical stuff, like to always be as wide open as I can. 

You can turn a 300 TPI into a 50+ HP monster without too much cash.  Head work, PC pipe, red PV spring, JD EFI Tuner and perhaps some dyno time to get the PV adjusted and EFI matched.

In stock condition its power is more aimed at tight technical stuff.

5 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

You can turn a 300 TPI into a 50+ HP monster without too much cash.  Head work, PC pipe, red PV spring, JD EFI Tuner and perhaps some dyno time to get the PV adjusted and EFI matched.

When you say head work, what does that entail? Can the local dealership you buy it from do it? Also, since it's a brand new bike, the last thing I want to worry about is, it not running right due to taking things apart. I know about the different spring option and the tuner. 

9 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Doesn't the XC line have a hotter CDI? 

1 minute ago, Brad Mirrors said:

When you say head work, what does that entail? Can the local dealership you buy it from do it? Also, since it's a brand new bike, the last thing I want to worry about is, it not running right due to taking things apart. I know about the different spring option and the tuner. 

Most Dealers can't do the head work (they don't have the machines to do it) but Slavens, RB Designs, several other shops can do it.  Should be under $100.  

They set the squish clearance and can also raise the compression a bit but still be good for pump gas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shrub73 said:

Doesn't the XC line have a hotter CDI? 

On the 17+ carb'd bikes I think XC and XC-W are the same...or close enough not to matter.

But TPI has a completely different ECU.  The TPI ignition is for some reason a IDI instead of CDI.

• Like 1

The TPI doesn't have a "CDI" like a carb'd bike. The timing and ignition is fixed on a carb bike while on the TPI the timing and ignition can change due to other variables like pressure, coolant temp and throttle position. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

On the 17+ carb'd bikes I think XC and XC-W are the same...or close enough not to matter.

But TPI has a completely different ECU.  The TPI ignition is for some reason a IDI instead of CDI.

9 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

The TPI doesn't have a "CDI" like a carb'd bike. The timing and ignition is fixed on a carb bike while on the TPI the timing and ignition can change due to other variables like pressure, coolant temp and throttle position. 

Well crap. Shows you how much I know.

Do you guys think the XC TPI will hit harder than the XC-W and perhaps mute some of the reports of a soft bottom end of the XC-W?

I am trying to decide XC TPI or XC-W TPI. I currently ride a 17 250XC with RK head and would hate to have less down low if I got the XC-W. 

I ride Socal desert and mountain ST. No racing. 

*** I want to leave my TPI bike STOCK.

Edited by shrub73

Do you guys think the XC TPI will hit harder than the XC-W and perhaps mute some of the reports of a soft bottom end of the XC-W?

It's mostly in the fuel mapping and compression.

You can get your head done on a TPI bike and get a JD EFI tuner and give the bike the hit it should have.  Some dyno time would be the fool proof way to dial it in unless you trust your trial & error skills.

16 minutes ago, shrub73 said:

Well crap. Shows you how much I know.

I am trying to decide XC TPI or XC-W TPI. I currently ride a 17 250XC with RK head and would hate to have less down low if I got the XC-W. 

I ride Socal desert and mountain ST. No racing. 

*** I want to leave my TPI bike STOCK.

It's going to come down to if you prefer linkage or PDS. The XC and XCW 300s have had identical motors in the past I don't see why they would be different with TPI.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

It's going to come down to if you prefer linkage or PDS. The XC and XCW 300s have had identical motors in the past I don't see why they would be different with TPI.

I've never rode PDS, so I can't say. 

I do like the AER XC forks, but I could get used to the Explorer forks I'm sure. I am not super fast or aggressive rider.

Do you think the lower 1st and 2nd gear is better suited for non desert open riding? Everyone always says XC is better for open riding so thats why I was holding out for the XC.

I've never rode PDS, so I can't say. 

I do like the AER XC forks, but I could get used to the Explorer forks I'm sure. I am not super fast or aggressive rider.

Do you think the lower 1st and 2nd gear is better suited for non desert open riding? Everyone always says XC is better for open riding so thats why I was holding out for the XC.

Forgot about the aer. Sounds like you want an xc. That's geared towards your style. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GlennE said:

I agree, you will be VERY dissapointed. The two strokes are peaky, very narrow powerband, and don't have even half the torque of the 501, at any rpm.

Two strokes of today are light and quick, but you have to be wide open or barely moving to use them well.

OP, tpi power curve is very similar to carb'd bikes, at least the 2018 models. Stock 250 xc-w (tpi) was dynod at 44hp/28ft-lbs and 300 was 48hp/32 ft-lbs. With some tuning, an extra 4-5 hp is likely. Being used to (the torque of) a 500, hard to say if you would be content with how a 300 is for the "open" stuff you ride. Not slow at all, just 300cc won't have near the same torque profile. This is why a "smooth" 450/500 2stroke with tpi would be great, to shut up everyone who makes a 450F or such seem so awesome with it's 50%+ more displacement. Oh well. ?

10 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

I agree, you will be VERY dissapointed. The two strokes are peaky, very narrow powerband, and don't have even half the torque of the 501, at any rpm.

Two strokes of today are light and quick, but you have to be wide open or barely moving to use them well.

Couldn't be any further from the truth, imo. Today's 250's & 300's are infinitely tunable and can achieve just about whatever power characteristics the rider desires.

• Like 5