Best 4 Stroke Trail Bike ... 2018 KTM 500 EXC-F

So I recently purchased a 2018 EXC-F. This may sound bold, but I think it's the best trail bike I have ever ridden.. Even w all the street legal compliance parts gone..... Haha

I'm poking on another recent post about a 350 EXC-F, and honestly I've never ridden one so I can't speak intelligently about one. However, if it's anything like a 500 EXC-F, it's gotta rock. I've been on KTM's for many years but I did think my 525 EXC 2006 was just awesome. And really this 2018 is not quite like my likings 06 (kinda like your favorite Carpenters hammer, hard to buy another).. but I'll get there with more time on it.. 

I had an awesome ride day today on it, on single track and Rock Hill climbs (I mean rock indeed).. it performed so well I don't know why I'd even consider fussing about it.. if I could complain about buying a new sled, is all the crap you haft to buy and the rip it all out, and spend extra bucks to make it run like a carb-ed "06".

Picture is showing my 06 my son-in-law is riding now.

IMG_20190419_095041138.jpg

IMG_20190419_095859802_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Im a fan of this general platform, regardless of engine size. I have the 350 and love it. My wife has the 250 and its great.

maybe when Im itching for a new bike I'll do the 500.

Edited by Hammy-56
  • Like 1

you have the best bike hands down , and with a few tweeks its an open class monster with single track smoothness. I rode the 300XC-w's for about 10yrs and thought nothing could out  do them it until my '17 500 came home. my favorite mountain climbing machine ever with a 14-52 , vortex and desmog  then added a FMF Q4 stealth because I like the quiet. and BTW all the street crap = 6 lbs lost when tossed

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Ultra61 I'm glad to hear your liking your new ride.  I just picked up a 19' 500 EXC-F, and it will replace my 09' 530 EXC (which I LOVE),  I'm sure gunna be sad to see the 530 go, but posts like yours reassure me in my decision to upgrade.  Thanks again and congrats! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Airboss/oc said:

you have the best bike hands down , and with a few tweeks its an open class monster with single track smoothness. I rode the 300XC-w's for about 10yrs and thought nothing could out  do them it until my '17 500 came home. my favorite mountain climbing machine ever with a 14-52 , vortex and desmog  then added a FMF Q4 stealth because I like the quiet. and BTW all the street crap = 6 lbs lost when tossed

FMF Q Stealth.. I've not been around one to hear how quiet it is.. I'm also loving stealth mode while riding (now the HD that's a whole nother concept, loud pipes save lives.. loud pipe on a off-road loses riding area.). I also like the throat bark on 3rd gear single track, working the clutch.. I'm still stock except mod end cap, what's your opinion on the difference of stock and FMF stealth?

No bullshit, I'm not interested in buying in, cause you've already spent your hard money.

Thanks ?

5 hours ago, Mr70SS said:

Thanks for the post Ultra61 I'm glad to hear your liking your new ride.  I just picked up a 19' 500 EXC-F, and it will replace my 09' 530 EXC (which I LOVE),  I'm sure gunna be sad to see the 530 go, but posts like yours reassure me in my decision to upgrade.  Thanks again and congrats! 

I'm sure your going to mold to it .. I'm an older rider now, and change is hard. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into buying a modern day KTM .. I'm/was hearing great reviews, and wasn't taking the ECU and compliance stuff seriously..

So yeah I told the dealer I hate the 18 it runs like crap, constant flame out.. and the fork comp/rebound adjustment.. rear shock to light, WTH, bike made me feel like I needed to learn to ride again (and I was AA).. He looked at me like "yeah I knew you'd be back to tell me what I already knew", him and I used to race Enduro's together, your an ass for not telling to take this crap seriously ?. All I kept saying was I want a lighter sled, and that's all he needed to hear.. ends up I saved 17lbs .... 13k later.. oh well whatcha going to do. I'm really learning to love the challenge of helping the US of A economy of continue to hate the green new deal. ?

Posted (edited)

what's your opinion on the difference of stock and FMF stealth

I put the FMF Q4 on both bikes for the spark arrestor. Really quiet- better power on the 450 from the old stocker- Great on the 2017. New stock exhaust systems with a mod should be better than my old bike, even if I repacked it every couple years. 

Edited by Burnrider
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ultra61 said:

...now the HD that's a whole nother concept, loud pipes save lives.. 

Oh please, spare us from that propaganda BS.  Loud pipes on your HD do nothing more than annoy everybody that doesn’t own a Harley.  Why is it that loud pipes only saves lives if they are on a Harley?  It may be music to your ears, but it’s a piss off to most others.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Oh please, spare us from that propaganda BS.  Loud pipes on your HD do nothing more than annoy "everybody" that doesn’t own a Harley.  Why is it that loud pipes "only" saves lives if they are on a Harley?  It may be music to your ears, but it’s a piss off to most others.  

Bahaha .. typical hater. "Land of the free" .. I was just making light of conversation, and wouldn't you know we have an expert on the subject of dB and everybody and only people want to hear your opinion on the subject ..

Yea, maybe you’re right.  I am going to go out to the garage right now and pull the mufflers off my Silverado.  I am all about saving lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Yea, maybe you’re right.  I am going to go out to the garage right now and pull the mufflers off my Silverado.  I am all about saving lives.

I took all the exhaust South of the header off my wife’s MDX as soon as I read this. Nothing like straight pipes on a small displacement V6 to keep the kids safe. She loves it! Also the neighbors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The best trail bike, if your trails look like this:

image.png

Edited by bkoz
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bkoz said:

The best trail bike, if your trails look like this:

image.png

Ha .. sometimes the long way is to the good stuff.

First post here.

Sorry for lack of proper intro but I’m 53 and on a good day might be a B rider, but mostly C.

I’ve had a ‘17 350 excf since late ‘16 and really am happy w it. A couple months ago I got an itch for a new machine and bought a ‘19 500 excf.

It’s desmogged, w an FMF and 48t on the back.

Runs VERY strong!!

I’ve only been on one decent ride w it but I don’t think my 350 is gonna see much action anymore.

Weight wise I couldn’t really tell any difference.

Power delivery is of course completely different and surprisingly to me it is much easier for ME to ride on single track. The power band is steady and smooth and I can lug around in second or third gear all day.

It does seem to sit taller but that might be suspension set up. It’s going back for a stiffer spring so I don’t imagine it’ll ever sit any lower than it does now.

Just my two cents but I LOVE this bike. So far it’s better than the 350 which I will keep as a backup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poodlelover151 said:

First post here.

Sorry for lack of proper intro but I’m 53 and on a good day might be a B rider, but mostly C.

I’ve had a ‘17 350 excf since late ‘16 and really am happy w it. A couple months ago I got an itch for a new machine and bought a ‘19 500 excf.

It’s desmogged, w an FMF and 48t on the back.

Runs VERY strong!!

I’ve only been on one decent ride w it but I don’t think my 350 is gonna see much action anymore.

Weight wise I couldn’t really tell any difference.

Power delivery is of course completely different and surprisingly to me it is much easier for ME to ride on single track. The power band is steady and smooth and I can lug around in second or third gear all day.

It does seem to sit taller but that might be suspension set up. It’s going back for a stiffer spring so I don’t imagine it’ll ever sit any lower than it does now.

Just my two cents but I LOVE this bike. So far it’s better than the 350 which I will keep as a backup.

Good info on comparison of the two.. I wish I had a 350. My friend, tuner still, and race partner from years ago, has been telling me since I made the mistake back in 2004 of trying a DRZ (that bike about killed me for lack of power to even consider lifting the front to power me out of a simple trench) that I need to be on a 06 525EXC and title it for street. Just a quick note, I used to try racing w KTMs in "87-88" but blew the cases twice (quality was bad, I was a huge fan of Husky's but lost our local dealer) and went to a 250WR Yama not Husky. Quit all together when I turned 35 for a promise to the wife (family was growing). He was completely correct, I assume cause we rode so much together. I just love that 510ci KTM puts out. The only thing is my friend runs a 350 EXC and I ask why he is not telling me to get a 350.. and he said again this time .. "it's not for you" so I guess 500's till I ride no more.

Still a little older than you and welcome to thumpertalk :) I was looking back thru the history of this site, the broad range of knowledge is awesome, sure would have been helpful in the earlier days.. I was born in 1961, riding a  Rupp minibike when I was 4 years old, and dad taught me how to keep it running w little to no money. My first real dirt bike used was a 250 Elsinore. Grandpa paid less for the farm I road on, than we pay for a new sled these days.

ultra61 nothing ruins the day or night more than that idiot with the "loud ass because it saves lives BS" . sheez those POS HDs cant even beat my 15 Ram in a drag race ! what a waste !

think about all the people and homes you pass while disturbing the peace next time and  maybe youll think more clearly. Im 61yrs young and have had dozens of street and offroad motos, had a neighbor say "I use your bike as my alarm"  when I used to commute every day. today we call those guys "Barney" just like the kid with his crapanese honda car with open exhaust , stupid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

ultra61 nothing ruins the day or night more than that idiot with the "loud ass because it saves lives BS" . sheez those POS HDs cant even beat my 15 Ram in a drag race ! what a waste !

think about all the people and homes you pass while disturbing the peace next time and  maybe youll think more clearly. Im 61yrs young and have had dozens of street and offroad motos, had a neighbor say "I use your bike as my alarm"  when I used to commute every day. today we call those guys "Barney" just like the kid with his crapanese honda car with open exhaust , stupid!

Wow .. you have no idea what I believe, or what I own .. I was using a well known example w no proof or good examples by me or anyone, just hypothetical mumbo-jumbo.. I'm not writing a documentary and folk think I need to hear your opinion on the matter that has absolutely no value to the subject .. which is loving "quiet" KTM's. I wouldn't for the record think your 15 Ram can beat all HD's lol .. Happy Easter.

For the sake of the truth being told from me, I agree w you on loud pipes. Glad to read your riding at 61 I hope to as well.

Edited by Ultra61

My Honda VTX 1800 sounded like a &%$#@!ing sewing machine when I had it. The Cobra’s I put on it were much better. They put out a different tone than the Harley’s. More on the jet boat at low RPM’s kinda rumble....

Posted (edited)

I thought the new stock exhausts were pretty quiet even with a cap mod.

Nice change with the FMF on the '05, less noise better power. Stocker had the Krisman spinner vs the FMF inverted cone for SA use. 

Edited by Burnrider