RM 250 Swing arm installation issues

Hi all,

I recently put my swing arm and linkage into a work shop to get some new bearings installed. I provided the bearings (All balls) and the guy fitted them.

So today I got onto fitting the swing arm back on to the frame but I cannot seem to get the darn thing to fit. It seems like there isn’t enough room for it to slide In between the frame and motor mounts. It seems the brass coloured metal collars stick out by 2-3mm at each side of the swing arm which means there isn’t enough room. 

I even tried fitting without the motor in the frame and even at that I have to beat the shit out of the swing arm with a rubber mallet to get it in and that’s with a fair amount of grease being applied. So it seems like I would have no chance with the motor in. 

Has anyone else experienced this? It has been a very frustrating day lol. 

1 hour ago, Zuk92 said:

Hi all,

I recently put my swing arm and linkage into a work shop to get some new bearings installed. I provided the bearings (All balls) and the guy fitted them.

So today I got onto fitting the swing arm back on to the frame but I cannot seem to get the darn thing to fit. It seems like there isn’t enough room for it to slide In between the frame and motor mounts. It seems the brass coloured metal collars stick out by 2-3mm at each side of the swing arm which means there isn’t enough room. 

I even tried fitting without the motor in the frame and even at that I have to beat the shit out of the swing arm with a rubber mallet to get it in and that’s with a fair amount of grease being applied. So it seems like I would have no chance with the motor in. 

Has anyone else experienced this? It has been a very frustrating day lol. 

It sounds like the bearings are not pressed in far enough. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, jcriswell said:

It sounds like the bearings are not pressed in far enough. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response. It appears that the bearings are fitted correctly as they are flush with the shoulder inside. It seems to be the out metal collar inserts that are too wide. I will get some photos on later which might show the issue better. Cheers 

• Like 1

So had another day of frustration with the RM. I have checked that the swing arm bearings were flush with the face inside the swing arm. I even completely removed and reinstalled al bearings and bushings etc. Still seems to be and issue somewhere as there just physically isn’t enough space to slide the swing arm in. Here are some photos... should note that the motor is sitting loose within the frame to give me some wiggle room.

Only thing I can think of is the steel tubular part that slides through the bearing is too long. But All Balls have a good rep so there stuff will be based of OEM specs. 

Any help is appreciated.

cheers 

555B8F58-4A69-4678-9900-20A569D58435.jpeg

3E55142F-453F-4A9C-A243-E6F79250B70E.jpeg

CE1B19FA-668A-4DE0-AA22-C88CAD678F24.jpeg

A41F2519-3620-494F-9A9C-CF7A94F764CB.jpeg

I had the exact same issue. If I'm not mistaken it was also an all balls kit. I had to grind a little off the collar to shorten it to make it fit.