what would i need to do to a 2001 yz250 to make it trail ready?

right now i have a 2005 yz250f but i’m thinking about trading it for a 2001 yz250. the yzf already has the down low power but i don’t think the yz will. i’ve read other forums and they say flywheel weights but i want more information about it

The fly wheel weight makes the bike more lug-able. suspension is a big one for trail riding I would definitely have that set for trails and your weight. Possibly an 18 inch rear wheel for trail and enduro. Desert tank since the large smokers are gas guzzlers. That’s a prefect start to a great trail 2 smoker(Obviously appropriate tires for your terrain)

Skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, go ride. If you have to be extra, fww, suspension, tank, 18” wheel (I choose all of the above). Really extra, steering damper, rekluse, bib mouse... the list goes on. The short story is, a YZ250 doesn’t need much to be a really good trail bike. 

Skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, go ride. If you have to be extra, fww, suspension, tank, 18” wheel (I choose all of the above). Really extra, steering damper, rekluse, bib mouse... the list goes on. The short story is, a YZ250 doesn’t need much to be a really good trail bike. 

i used to have a yz125 and it always stalled going up steep hills, does the yz250 have this problem as well?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yz250f2005 said:

i used to have a yz125 and it always stalled going up steep hills, does the yz250 have this problem as well?

Heck no!

I rode mine for years with nothing but factory specs, all was great!

I added a 13oz flywheel and now able to plow the fields with it ?

Edited by Smoking 2's

No. Fww helps, but rider skill and clutch control are the best mods for getting up steep hills.