HunterCheatham

Can I put a xt550cc motor on a newer frame??

I have a old school Yamaha XT550cc dirt bike. I was wondering if it’d be possible to take the motor and put it on a more mordern frame. I dont exactly like the 1980s look so I would like to have the more modern look, with the big motor. Opinions??

Do you have the money and expertise to do a swap? The thing is, you probably do not if you have to ask. No offense but that is a realistic observation. I once welded up a old motorcycle frame to hold a snowblower engine. Made up a jackshaft to gear it down and get the chain on the right side. Service Honda used to make AF500's. All a mater of imagination, skills and funds.

• Helpful 1

I have a old school Yamaha XT550cc dirt bike. I was wondering if it’d be possible to take the motor and put it on a more mordern frame. I dont exactly like the 1980s look so I would like to have the more modern look, with the big motor. Opinions??
give ( Vintage Spoke ) in Kansas a call they are experts in the 500 Yamaha thumpers

Well, anything is possible, but is it viable?

Not a bad engine at all, but very heavy, and the fact that it carries it's oil in the frame makes it more difficult too.

Twin carbs dont leave much room behind the engine for a shock so engine placement would be a nightmare.

Also it is a very tall engine, so finding any frame that would accept it would mean another big thumper frame anyway.

Your 550 has survived 35odd years intact, why not leave it that way......

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 7:54 PM, William1 said:

Do you have the money and expertise to do a swap? The thing is, you probably do not if you have to ask. No offense but that is a realistic observation. I once welded up a old motorcycle frame to hold a snowblower engine. Made up a jackshaft to gear it down and get the chain on the right side. Service Honda used to make AF500's. All a mater of imagination, skills and funds.

If one has a welder, grinder and money then anything is possible.   It's a whole lot smarter to just go buy something else.   Take our word for it.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
Still trying to help young riders avoid mistakes; they never listen.
  • Like 1