2016 KTM 200 XCW: Poor Cold Start and Idling

Hey guys, my knowledge is really limited when it comes to jetting, and it's been about a decade (or longer) since I've messed with a carb. 

I recently picked up a 2016 KTM 200 XCW. The bike runs pretty good but struggles a bit with cold starts and doesn't hold idle. It's stock other than an FMF gnarly pipe. I'm located about 800' above sea level. 

I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it too much yet, but I tried adjusting the air screw all the way in, then backed it out two turns and the bike didn't idle. Moved it out another turn and a half and still no idling. I also moved the idle screw a bit but it didn't seem to make any difference. 

I haven't opened up the carb to see what jets are in there now, but am I thinking correctly that based on the above I probably need to drop the size of my pilot jet? Any recommendations? 

Do you guys think I'd benefit from just going ahead and picking up a JD Jet kit?

Had a bit of time to mess with the bike again this morning. Realized I was screwing the idle screw the wrong way. Whoops!

Still need to do fine tuning but it holds idle just fine now and seems to start much easier. Think I’ll ride the bike as is for a while before making any jetting changes.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:20 AM, boilermaker2014 said:

Had a bit of time to mess with the bike again this morning. Realized I was screwing the idle screw the wrong way. Whoops!

Still need to do fine tuning but it holds idle just fine now and seems to start much easier. Think I’ll ride the bike as is for a while before making any jetting changes.

Unless all the motor and carb parts are fresh and in tolerance, jetting is not your issue.

Change the plug, learn how to adjust the air screw correctly, and you should be fine.