Cyclops KTM Headlight Install

I just received my Cyclops headlight for my 2018 KTM 500 Exc-f.  Is the light plug and play?  It is working after hooking it up.  However, when switching between high and low beam, the low beam takes about 1.5 seconds to switch over.  

Is this normal?  Does anyone else have this bulb for a 2017 or newer?

I also have the 2018 500 and Cyclops, believe it’s their latest bulb (called 2015 and newer on their site?)

Mine was plug and play and has no delay when switching between low and high beam. Unsure if it’s a major issue or not.

• Helpful 1

19 minutes ago, MulahDRZsm said:

I also have the 2018 500 and Cyclops, believe it’s their latest bulb (called 2015 and newer on their site?)

Mine was plug and play and has no delay when switching between low and high beam. Unsure if it’s a major issue or not.

When you installed it.  Did you just place the whole cyclops assembly into the headlight hole?  And tighten the black back plate?  And that was it?

When you installed it.  Did you just place the whole cyclops assembly into the headlight hole?  And tighten the black back plate?  And that was it?

Yup that was it. I spent more time messing with it than I should, trying to get the hosing off the OEM—- until I finally realized that’s it was in its own housing. Just liked the tabs up as it mentioned in the instructions and placed it in. Took a bit of “force” as the foam around the LED is stiff, but I got it in after a bit and was able to turn and lock the light in place. I really over thought it all and it was a simple install.
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, MulahDRZsm said:

Yup that was it. I spent more time messing with it than I should, trying to get the hosing off the OEM—- until I finally realized that’s it was in its own housing. Just liked the tabs up as it mentioned in the instructions and placed it in. Took a bit of “force” as the foam around the LED is stiff, but I got it in after a bit and was able to turn and lock the light in place. I really over thought it all and it was a simple install.

How about space after? Was your headlight shroud pushed further out after?  Mine isn’t sitting right and I need to figure it out.

2 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

How about space after? Was your headlight shroud pushed further out after?  Mine isn’t sitting right and I need to figure it out.

Same issue with the H4 DOT Leds on-line. Too long behind the reflector . Better to make mask extenders for the strap mount to get more clearance behind the bulb.

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, Burnrider said:

Same issue with the H4 DOT Leds on-line. Too long behind the reflector . Better to make mask extenders for the strap mount to get more clearance behind the bulb.

My problem is with the bottom of the headlight shroud.  It doesn’t come up flush to the forks like before.  Now it sits about 2 inches forward. There looks to be two plastic tabs in the bottom of the shroud that sort of grab the plastic pockets on the top of the fender.  But those don’t hold the shroud hard enough for it not to slip out of those pockets and move forward from the pressure of the headlight.

Is it the back of the new bulb preventing pin placement to fender? Either top or bottom not fitting flush can be affected by the bulb if it's too long. I had to pull the wiring apart and route it higher on the plastic 'organizer' so mine would fit underneath that mess (and still extended the mask strap mounts).

• Helpful 1

38 minutes ago, Burnrider said:

Is it the back of the new bulb preventing pin placement to fender? Either top or bottom not fitting flush can be affected by the bulb if it's too long. I had to pull the wiring apart and route it higher on the plastic 'organizer' so mine would fit underneath that mess (and still extended the mask strap mounts).

I’m thinking I need to do the same thing.  Maybe zip tie the plastic wire mess up and away if possible.  I believe the back of the cyclops bulb is protruding more than stock.  

I think anything outside of the stock bulb is an issue. While you're at it, check wire slack on the full left turn lock. The 2017's were wire-breaking tight. I cut some of the plastic stay and replaced some of the outside sheath with electrical tape to get slack.

• Helpful 1

I didn’t really have any fitment issues. If anything the foam the bulb is sitting in is a little stiff and you should “pull the bulb” to compress it a bit. I think it’s a little info on it in the instructions. But all in all the size after was near oem if not the same.

Are you reconnecting the two push tabs at the bottom of the headlight shroud? Sorry if that sounds like a silly question. The first time I unbuckled the headlight I didn’t notice them, but I feel like you should be able to rearrange everything back behind the shroud with no problem from my experience.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MulahDRZsm said:

I didn’t really have any fitment issues. If anything the foam the bulb is sitting in is a little stiff and you should “pull the bulb” to compress it a bit. I think it’s a little info on it in the instructions. But all in all the size after was near oem if not the same.

Are you reconnecting the two push tabs at the bottom of the headlight shroud? Sorry if that sounds like a silly question. The first time I unbuckled the headlight I didn’t notice them, but I feel like you should be able to rearrange everything back behind the shroud with no problem from my experience.

Two push tabs?  Where are they and how do I reconnect them?  Maybe that’s what I’m missing.  How do I reconnect the bottom of the shroud to the front fender?

I was successfully able to compress the foam and turn the black plate to fully engage into the stock headlight holders.  

The bulb seems like it’s still able to turn slightly within its internal socket.  I turned the bulb clockwise so that the bottom tab was pointing at 6pm.  However, I still feel like the bulb is free to wiggle.  

Edited by NewEngland400

Also, where exactly do those little white spacers go?  There are two bolts on the top of the stock reflector, am I supposed to put these spacers in there somehow?  

Could someone send me a photo on this one?

thanks!

Two push tabs?  Where are they and how do I reconnect them?  Maybe that’s what I’m missing.  How do I reconnect the bottom of the shroud to the front fender?
I was successfully able to compress the foam and turn the black plate to fully engage into the stock headlight holders.  
The bulb seems like it’s still able to turn slightly within its internal socket.  I turned the bulb clockwise so that the bottom tab was pointing at 6pm.  However, I still feel like the bulb is free to wiggle.  

They’re at the bottom of the headlight shroud, attach to the top of the fender, excuse my laziness in pics and effort lol. I didn’t feel like detaching the shroud, need be I will.

I believe the spacers are there if more room is needed. I didn’t use mine, had enough space behind the shroud.

Pics of where the shroud attaches to fender:IMG_1484.JPGIMG_1486.JPGIMG_1487.JPG
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MulahDRZsm said:

They’re at the bottom of the headlight shroud, attach to the top of the fender, excuse my laziness in pics and effort lol. I didn’t feel like detaching the shroud, need be I will.

I believe the spacers are there if more room is needed. I didn’t use mine, had enough space behind the shroud.

Pics of where the shroud attaches to fender:IMG_1484.JPGIMG_1486.JPGIMG_1487.JPG

Yes, I see these tabs.  So I put the spacers into the slots, but what does that do?  Is the shroud suppose to grab those spacers better?  

Theres no screw or bolt going in there right?  It’s simply secured by a wedge and pressure?

From what I read in the instructions spacers were for use near the top of the shroud.

They were extra and are used on other models. I did not need to use them. The headlight shroud should fit just like to did before the Cyclops install no other parts needed.

If you feel like it doesn’t fit rearrange the cables behind the shroud until it’s flat enough to lock with the side straps and into the fender at the bottom.

• Helpful 1

31 minutes ago, MulahDRZsm said:

From what I read in the instructions spacers were for use near the top of the shroud.

They were extra and are used on other models. I did not need to use them. The headlight shroud should fit just like to did before the Cyclops install no other parts needed.

If you feel like it doesn’t fit rearrange the cables behind the shroud until it’s flat enough to lock with the side straps and into the fender at the bottom.

Ok.  Sounds like I need to address the wires.  

How about the high to slow delay?  Is there any sort of circuit attached stock that I need to disconnect?  

Ok.  Sounds like I need to address the wires.  

How about the high to slow delay?  Is there any sort of circuit attached stock that I need to disconnect?  

Sorry I’m so late. I didn’t experience any delays, not sure how problematic it seems but I guess you can leave it if you think it’s no biggie or contact the Cyclops folks and let them know, maybe they’ll send you another.

3 hours ago, MulahDRZsm said:

Sorry I’m so late. I didn’t experience any delays, not sure how problematic it seems but I guess you can leave it if you think it’s no biggie or contact the Cyclops folks and let them know, maybe they’ll send you another.

I was able to move the wires and secure the shroud with cyclops in place perfectly.  I'm going to try the light out again tonight.  Cyclops said if It's not functioning properly they'll send me out another one. 

• Like 1

I was able to move the wires and secure the shroud with cyclops in place perfectly.  I'm going to try the light out again tonight.  Cyclops said if It's not functioning properly they'll send me out another one. 

Perfect! Sounds like both things are working/worked out in your favor.