DRZ case replacement/repair

2005 DRZ400E case question. Well I’ve read some past comments, I rolled my bike into the garage, didn’t notice the side stand moved a bit and, yup, crash on the floor. The shifter punched a hole in the case and there was the sad pool of oil at my feet. Only good thing is it didn’t hit my new truck.

Lots of comments regarding patches from JB Weld to gluing a quarter over the hole. I’m willing to spend the $$ for a new case. So can I get some hints on the removal of this case? I’m decent with hand tools but the Floyd Clymer manual is not much help, it can’t even distinguish which side is right or left. I have a set of TT protective covers on the way and if the hole is high enough to get a good sealing area around the hole I’ll try that. I fear the hole is too close to the edge of the protective edge to get a seal I trust.

so any advice on pulling off this cover would be appreciated.

You need to replace the magnesium stator cover and recover any broken pieces from the engine.

The case is easily removed by taking out the 8 or so 6mm bolts. You'll need a 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket. The gasket is metal and reusable. Follow the wires and unplug from the regulator and wire harness.

When you get the new case just swap the stator , install your TT case and go ride. Be sure you stop at the DRZ400 section to read the FAQ's and the "Loctite fix" for the stator. It's also best to post anymore DRZ400 related questions there.

2005 DRZ400E case question. Well I’ve read some past comments, I rolled my bike into the garage, didn’t notice the side stand moved a bit and, yup, crash on the floor. The shifter punched a hole in the case and there was the sad pool of oil at my feet. Only good thing is it didn’t hit my new truck.
Lots of comments regarding patches from JB Weld to gluing a quarter over the hole. I’m willing to spend the $$ for a new case. So can I get some hints on the removal of this case? I’m decent with hand tools but the Floyd Clymer manual is not much help, it can’t even distinguish which side is right or left. I have a set of TT protective covers on the way and if the hole is high enough to get a good sealing area around the hole I’ll try that. I fear the hole is too close to the edge of the protective edge to get a seal I trust.
so any advice on pulling off this cover would be appreciated.
  • Like 1