Has anyone lowered the drive ratio on this KX450?

First off, I do this on all my bikes. Always go from a 50 to a 52 rear and if possible, loos a tooth on the front as well. I like to get into second gear sometimes on the trails, ect. So, I go to do my "routine" 52 tooth rear on my 09 KX450. Well, the rear chain guide is more of a vector than a channel and it simply will not allow a different sized sprocket. I also looked at all the front sprockets on rockymountain and the smallest is 13 tooth. So it is geared pretty high for me as at 13 / 50.

Did one of you complete this drive ratio change and if so, what did you use for a rear chain guide.

Thanks, James

12t are out there but harder to find. I have one that I never installed on my 09 that I plan to use on my klx450r for summer single track.

52 minutes ago, kxlubber said:

12t are out there but harder to find. I have one that I never installed on my 09 that I plan to use on my klx450r for summer single track.

do you happen to know the brand?

thanks...

Is trimming the rear chain guide at all an option?

Naturally not idea but I just googled a picture and you’re right it basically sits right against that sprocket

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.2ff70a41cbaad2f79ba14fcb5198d862.JPG

I bought this one locally but have seen them online too. RMatv never had any though, try motosport or bike bandit.

I put a 51T on my 2015. Run a longer chain if its a problem for ya

23 hours ago, Mastermerc said:

I run 12/52 on my 2011 450, much better in the tight stuff

23 hours ago, Mastermerc said:

I run 12/52 on my 2011 450, much better in the tight stuff

what did you do to the rear chain guide to put on a larger sprocket. My guide is right up against the sprocket with a 50 tooth. A 52 will not even physically fit, not to mention the chain would not point at the front sprocket due to hitting the back edge of the guide. Maybe I need to get a different guide?

Going from a 50 to a 52 is hardly worth the trouble. A smaller front will give you much better bang for your buck.

34 minutes ago, willie said:

Going from a 50 to a 52 is hardly worth the trouble. A smaller front will give you much better bang for your buck.

Hi, yeah, I found a front 12 on eBay, so that will fit for sure!

1 hour ago, Wapas said:

what did you do to the rear chain guide to put on a larger sprocket. My guide is right up against the sprocket with a 50 tooth. A 52 will not even physically fit, not to mention the chain would not point at the front sprocket due to hitting the back edge of the guide. Maybe I need to get a different guide?

The guide is Acerbis brand and the sprocket fits fine.

I guess it is quite possible that somebody had installed a tight fitting one against the 50. 

I am going to change that as well and see how it looks.

Thanks for you help.

14 hours ago, Wapas said:

Run a longer chain problem solved. You want your tire as far back as possible anyway for a little added stability.