New 15' YZ250 owner, couple things... lower pegs, rear shock, easy clutch pull?

Alright so I picked up a super mint 15' with practically no hrs on it as a woods/fast woods-powerline/overall play bike and to use as a data point for what I want in the next new bike I get.....also today, of the 2 mx tracks that are within 3hrs of me, one closed and the other sucks so unlikely I will be doing any mx riding this year so my 450sxf is deff for sale now :(

I changed tires for my terrain here and after a quick test ride changed out the 48 pilot to a 42 since it had to have the air screw 4turns out and first impressions are the pegs are too high and forward and bars are very low. This bike feels like a 4/5ths size bike compared to my 450sxf or 150xcw in terms of riding triangle. Its outrageously uncomfortable for me to stand up on it. The bars will be an easy fix for 90$ but the pegs all ive come across are the absurdly priced STR brackets that lower the pegs only 12mm. Id have to find some other peg thats also at least 12mm lower to get an inch down. then if I can get to that point the rear brake is massed out of adjustment as I just tested and can't get low enough at that point. the shifter is fine however. 

The clutch pull is way to stiff for me (wrist and hand issues) I have heard somewhere that the 250x has a different internal clutch arm to change the leverage ratio to make easier pull/more precise friction zone. I lubed everything of course and the action is very smooth just too stiff for me period. 

Other note the forks slightly too stiffly sprung for me but R & C dampening both have a good adjustable range however the shock is clearly undersprung relative to the front-end maxing out the compression both directions makes absolutely no effect same with high speed. the rebound however has good adjustable range. I find it hard to believe that a bike this new and with max 20hrs total that the rear shock would need completely rebuilt. it is basically no compression dampening. I can re spring it myself up one level but then it would have even less dampening. at this point since it won't see mx tracks id rather just take the decent forks and go one step lighter springs in them to match to the rear spring as its rate is good for woods and the forks have plenty of dampening to take out to allow for this. What are some cost effective options for the shock? Id rather spend a little more and get a new one or a healthy setup used one than have this one serviced... also zero downtime that way.    

Use Yz250x clutch springs and bolts on the clutch, they are lighter for easier pull

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Flo makes pegs 12mm lower that fits perfect. Fastway makes a peg that is 12mm lower and back, but you may have to modify it to make it clear the mounting bolt in the lower position. You should try lowered pegs first before you get the brackets to make it even lower because it makes more of a difference than you'd think. I used to get bar risers but not ever since I discovered the lowered pegs. One last thing, if you think a yz is small, don't try an rm250?

Edited by Clutch44
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I run a stunt clutch lever to make the clutch pull easier. The yz250x springs and bolts work too but your clutch wont last as long.

I have 20mm bar risers on mine, its all I need ergo wise but im kinda short.

I did a cheap shock upgrade by installing a used 03 wr450f shock, it has a stiffer spring and lighter valving it works better in the woods for a heavy guy.

It's cheaper to buy a whole used shock than a stiffer spring lol.

• Helpful 1

+1 for Righteous Stunt Clutch lever. I prefer the shorty. Here are pics of shorty and medium

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

• Like 1

Clutch perch can be changed for better pull especially if someone put an aftermarket on.

What was said above is a good route to take.

Having the suspension re-done for you is a better option, and a little more money. But hey, you would just spend on a XXXX anyway, might as well be the one you get to ride most. :devil:

• Like 1

I removed 2 springs from the clutch. If you ride at high rpms and are rough on the clutch i cant comment on reliability. It was great for me. 

A perch with a long lever and bearing is prefered. Move it inward on the bar for max leverage. I used the msr .  Cheap and easy to adjust while riding.   

Ive also mixed and matched 125 springs on other bikes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seer said:

I removed 2 springs from the clutch. If you ride at high rpms and are rough on the clutch i cant comment on reliability. It was great for me. 

A perch with a long lever and bearing is prefered. Move it inward on the bar for max leverage. I used the msr .  Cheap and easy to adjust while riding.   

Ive also mixed and matched 125 springs on other bikes. 

did this and works perfect lmao. I wanted to grind off like 6mm on 3 of the springs but figured worst case try this and do some top gear pulls and take it on my tight woods loop to get it hot and see if it slips and alas it doesnt. problem completely solved!

I have an ASV F4 Pro clutch perch and lever and it was an improvement over stock. I also put on Tusk 3/4” bar risers, just the perfect amount!