Yz250 top end kit.

Hey just bought a clean tidy older yz 250 2003 and am starting to rebuild it to a standard where I can ride it when ever and not have to worry to much if I ride it hard it’s going to break down on me . I’m going for advice on what’s the best  top end kit to get ? Cheers 

• Sad 1

I highly recommend taking a forged piston and sawing in half, then a cast and weld together and you'll have a piston that is so good that there's zero chance of ever losing a race or breaking down:applause: or just put in either(Wiseco, vertex, pro-x) and replace it on a reasonable schedule:ride:

I use the Wiseco like this :  image.png.2e6138c12d4b35c380525a304b163db5.png  make sure you get a small end bearing as well  (not incl in the kit) 

If you want to go all out, get a VHM Machined-from Billet piston ....I have one in my YZ125,  i'm pretty sure they make them for the YZ250 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Prox cast #1 ??? and cheaper than the rest 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

My son races MX, started on yz85, yz125 now on his second yz250, always used Yamaha rebuild kits and pistons, never had a problem. Buddy of his keeps using after market pistons and keeps blowing them up.

• Like 2

To save you searching:

Oem gaskets - there is a genuine kit.

Piston either oem or prox for cast or wiseco for forged. Prox was $50 cheaper for me over oem.

I just did mine with prox as most in here prefer cast...had I not been on here, I would have gone wiseco... I don't think it matters if you build it with correct tolerances and warm up properly...main reason I went cast is my brother is half owner and I wasn't sure if he'd follow warm up process, so one less risk.

And have a read through my thread, and also "spencerr" (with two r's) thread as a few on here helped us two numpties through the builds :-)

• Like 2

I bought a 2001 yz250 super clean with a blown top end. After making several calls I went with www.lukesraceing.com I decided to go with a 293 big bore kit. 750$ shipped to my front door in 3 days. It came with everything you need. Excellent cs if you get a chance check them out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Curtisy said:

I bought a 2001 yz250 super clean with a blown top end. After making several calls I went with www.lukesraceing.com I decided to go with a 293 big bore kit. 750$ shipped to my front door in 3 days. It came with everything you need. Excellent cs if you get a chance check them out.

Something ESR has no clue how to be. I would be interested in who their R&D is. That search doesn't work.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, Chris555 said:

Hey just bought a clean tidy older yz 250 2003 and am starting to rebuild it to a standard where I can ride it when ever and not have to worry to much if I ride it hard it’s going to break down on me . I’m going for advice on what’s the best  top end kit to get ? Cheers 

OEM (kits are only in B size)/Vertex/ProX/Wiseco/Wossner, heck even a MSR or Moose as long as they are ART you'll be fine. Just never a Namura as they are junk. 

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC

Keep us updated on the top end. Something I didn't do was check the squish so after I spent another 300$ to make sure I did the install, come to find out my top end psi is 213 so I can either send my head in so they can machine it down so I can run pump gas or leave it alone and run straight vp and in Las Vegas it's 90$ for five gallons so that's what I've been doing. I was also told I could stack my head gaskets to drop the psi but I'm not sure if that's a good idea so I just run the VP for now

Oh no Chinese made lol let us know how it works

Omg ya I see what you mean. That is not what mine is. I still have the OG box and paper work I will look later when I get home. What I thought I was getting is a stock cylinder bored out to a 293. I do no that it dose not have that Chinese brand on it. It is identical to my stock cylinder but like I said I will inspect later when I get home.

Namura? Oh crap!!!

Ok well I sent doc a few pic of my cylinder in his msg. It has no stamps on it what so ever. I'm guessing that's bad news. Sry for changing your topic. I guess if this big bore is a Chinese atleast I learned something.

Posted (edited)

IMO not going to be top quality. A couple extra huntit, and you would have a Athena GYTR approved, or even an EG kit.

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leftdagrid said:

Just rebuilt my 17 X,

Vertex kit

Needle bearing

Tusk gasket kit (crap)

$148.00

Best gasket set to oem is Comedic. They are same metal type gaskets as oem