Motocross to Woods Conversion....

So I have a 2009 yz450f that I have already spent a lot of money on getting it motocross ready and I have to say I have it dialed in quite nicely... at least for me that is, buuuuut due to injuries a need to move away from motocross and start to move towards more enduro style riding.  I plan to buy a new bike sometime in the near future but until then I was wondering if anyone has some easy/cheap adjustments I can do until then.

The '08 in my sig was purchased from an A-Vet motocrosser. I revalved the front suspension, put on a skid plate and bark busters and rode it. It was fun on open, flowing trails and deep sand, but way too much, for me, in tight woods.

17 hours ago, DaveCR said:

The '08 in my sig was purchased from an A-Vet motocrosser. I revalved the front suspension, put on a skid plate and bark busters and rode it. It was fun on open, flowing trails and deep sand, but way too much, for me, in tight woods.

Was it the weight or just the overall feel of the bike that made it not so good in the tight stuff?  Good idea on those bark busters, I might just mess around with the clickers and fork oil height and see how that works out.   

Carbed 450s carry their weight pretty high. On narrow trails with closely spaced trees quick bar waggles became a chore. The PO of my machine had the carb tuned perfectly without a bit of bog anywhere. From idle up it was ready to rip, making it a handful in slow going. A flywheel weight would probably have helped, but I never got that far with it before trading for another bike.

A wr450 for enduro riding is like that special semi-loco ex-girlfriend.... You know it aint right, but you just want a taste of it anyway.

You can spend a lot of money and not get it really good anyway. Appreciate it for what it is. You're esentially trying to turn a mx bike into a bike thats still to much bike in the woods. I'd adjust gearing to where youre gonna ride, and fit handguards and a bashplate, thats about it..... Uhhhh! I retarded the timing on the accelerator pump, so it gives a squirt a bit later, it makes the bike more ridable in low rpms for me.

I know it sounds weird, but I love my wr for occasionally trying to kill me in the gnarly stuff. It makes you appreciate how awesome the bike is.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, Jens Eskildsen said:

You're esentially trying to turn a mx bike into a bike thats still to much bike in the woods.

I am not really trying to turn my MX bike into a permanent woods racer its more of a temp thing, just trying to make it a little more usable until I buy my Husky TE/TX300 (haven't decided which one yet).  I appreciate the feed back though.  I think after doing a little research I am going to get some bark busters, maybe some brake guards and lower the gearing a bit and call it a day.  Hopefully it wont be too long before I get my Husky.