Gas Gas Txt 250 2007 - Any common issues?

Hey all, 

I've been looking for a starter trials bike and there isn't much that comes up in my area for sale. A 2007 Gas Gas TXT 250 recently came up for $2500. Is this a good price? Are there any common issues I should look for when I check out the bike?

Thanks in advance, 

- Jeff

That bike should be in pristine condition for that much. I'd try to haggle the seller down.
Trials bike in general hold up remarkably well. I have a '17 TXT and no flaws have surfaced yet. An '07 should have normal wear and crash damage. I'm sure others that have owned Gassers from that era can elaborate more. Good luck.
Mark

Thanks guys. It's really hard to gauge prices on trials bike because they come up so infrequently around here, and when they do come up, they're usually $4k plus. :(

2500 is not bad for an 07.  I REALLY like my 2002.  Just look for dings in the frame, cracks in the rims, wear on the frame, smashed in skidplate, milky colored oil in the oil sight glass...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yokomo said:

milky colored oil in the oil sight glass...

mine had that and I thought it was just condensation. Nope, had to replace the water pump and seals. Was around $80 for whole kit. Easy to do after watching Jim Snell video. I'm not a very good mechanic but was able to get this done. :thumbsup:

2011 TXT 250 Pro.

Edited by shrubitup

I have an 07 250. Common problem is with the Ducati ignition which can become a money pit, like it did for me. The regulator/rectifier kept burning out. Finally replaced it with a Kokuson ignition which cost me $560 used and has been flawless. I would offer $1800 if it has the Ducati ignition. Used Kokusons are hard to find and a new ignition from a more current bike would work but will be expensive. If it already has Kokuson it would be a good price.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Something else to double check is the state of the oil, even if its been well cared for a replacement impeller, shaft and seal kit (Jitsie makes the one I used) might be a good idea as the design of the pump makes for extra ware on the pump shaft and it can leak after a fair bit of hours.  

As for price, I would say that is a little more than I would want to pay for an 07 250 but not out of the ballpark if you don't have a high volume trials market.  The 125's are harder to find so I have seen 06 to 08's go for around 2400 to 3100 in good condition so I would think 1800 to 2400 wouldn't be to out there.  

FYI: After owning it for around 5 years I changed the pump on my wife's 07 Gas Gas 125 and it has low hours for its year and you could really see the ware on the impeller shaft.  

Edited by jonnyc21

Thank you for all of the input guys, unfortunately, the bike was sold just as I decided to go look at it. So it goes. In other news I got the chance to ride a 2017 Contact 250 ES over the weekend, and I loved it. It was the first trials bike I've ever ridden and it extremely hard trails I really would have really struggled with on my enduro a breeze. 

My friend who owns the bike wants to upgrade to a 280, so he's offered to sell it for $4500. Seems like a decent deal to me, as I could probably ride it for a few years and ditch it for 3500 or so when I'm ready to upgrade. My only concern is parts availability. 

14 minutes ago, CRFJeff said:

Thank you for all of the input guys, unfortunately, the bike was sold just as I decided to go look at it. So it goes. In other news I got the chance to ride a 2017 Contact 250 ES over the weekend, and I loved it. It was the first trials bike I've ever ridden and it extremely hard trails I really would have really struggled with on my enduro a breeze. 

My friend who owns the bike wants to upgrade to a 280, so he's offered to sell it for $4500. Seems like a decent deal to me, as I could probably ride it for a few years and ditch it for 3500 or so when I'm ready to upgrade. My only concern is parts availability. 

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/

3 hours ago, Yokomo said:

Solid bike,  but overpriced for the Contact. 

What do you think is a fair price? I'm having a really hard time gauging values for used trials bikes b/c the market is pretty much nonexistent in new england

What do you think is a fair price? I'm having a really hard time gauging values for used trials bikes b/c the market is pretty much nonexistent in new england
New England? You have Jack's cycles. Or at least a bit north of you depending on where you are. If you don't know Stuart you should if you're in the trials market.

18 hours ago, nobade said:
On 5/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, CRFJeff said:

New England? You have Jack's cycles. Or at least a bit north of you depending on where you are. If you don't know Stuart you should if you're in the trials market.

I haven't talked to Stuart but I've been browsing their classifieds. I've decided more than 3500 is too much for a first bike, considering my skill level I really just need something that runs haha. Meeting someone to check out a couple of older bikes today. 

• Like 2

That should get you a nice bike, personally I'd look for a 2001-2010 Sherco 2t but you should be able to find something good in your budget. I was in the same place and found a 2011 Beta for $3k. It'll be fine until I'm good enough to justify a new bike. Stuart sees a lot of bikes, you might mention to him what you're looking for. Facebook has a trials buy/sell group in the USA if you have an account with them.

So I rode a '04 Beta Rev3 270 and a '99 Techno 250. To me, there was little discernable difference in how they rode... the 250 being a little heavier and a little less powerful, but I could still easily pop the front end up and wheelie it, and the brakes, shifting felt great. The 250 was also quite a bit cheaper and in better shape so I went with that. 

My main goal is to improve my enduro skills so I think it fits the bill. Plus I can ride it for a bit and decide what I really want with a minimal buy in. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 5/10/2019 at 8:09 PM, Yokomo said:

Good deal!  How much was it?

$1500