from 4 stroke to 2 stroke...need a bit of help on Maintenance

Hey guys, ended up getting a husky tpi 250i so happy I did and went with it, but coming off a 4 stroke, and my lack of mechanical skills (will be learning) I often get confused by "gear oil"

I am used to 4 strokes, so just change oil and filter and thats it (besides the other basic maint) As far as 2 strokes goes, I am guessing the engine oil will be the "mix" that goes into the gas, which lubricates the top end? or is there anything else to drain?

and if that is the case, gear oil is just straight up tranny oil? As far as the husky goes, I plan on changing the oil every 3 rides with whatever is recommended, but I am thinking 4 stroke now... change the engine oil? or do they mean every 10 - 15 hours gear oil, which is trans oil? not sure TPI is any different 

Hey guys, ended up getting a husky tpi 250i so happy I did and went with it, but coming off a 4 stroke, and my lack of mechanical skills (will be learning) I often get confused by "gear oil"
I am used to 4 strokes, so just change oil and filter and thats it (besides the other basic maint) As far as 2 strokes goes, I am guessing the engine oil will be the "mix" that goes into the gas, which lubricates the top end? or is there anything else to drain?
and if that is the case, gear oil is just straight up tranny oil? As far as the husky goes, I plan on changing the oil every 3 rides with whatever is recommended, but I am thinking 4 stroke now... change the engine oil? or do they mean every 10 - 15 hours gear oil, which is trans oil? not sure TPI is any different 
morning. 1st of all, common "gear oil" is what I only use in my truck's axles. Some trans fluid labeled 80W/85 might sound like 80w/90 gear oil, but they're different.
2strokes basically don't need oil changes since the oil is normally mixed into the gas only. Your 250i is different with oil injection, so straight gas goes in your tank and a separate small reservoir is for 2stroke-specific engine oil. Top it off before a long ride and try not to get close to running empty.
As for the trans, it needs fluid changes every 20-30 hours, or when shifting quality gets not good. Seems often, but there's only approx 800mL of fluid unlike a gallon in a car or however much is in a klx250/drz. No reason to spend too much on trans fluid. $6-7/quart is about right for a good choice. I often use Honda HP 80w. I attached a pic below, and here's a link to it. https://www.motosport.com/pro-honda-hp-transmission-oil?variant[PHO000G]=PHO000G-X001-Y001
I'm sure someone else will add some other input. This was off the top of my head.X001.jpeg
  • Like 1

I do trans/clutch oil every 15-20 hours.  Shifting starts to be effected around that time imho.  I use Motorex 4T 15W-50 as recommended.  

Check your spokes after a couple hours, mine started to loosen up.  Not a 2 stroke thing, just a new bike thing.  Other than that clean air filter every 5-10 hours or when it looks kinda nasty, keep 2t oil reservoir full and run it!

42 minutes ago, mmc205 said:

I do trans/clutch oil every 15-20 hours.  Shifting starts to be effected around that time imho.  I use Motorex 4T 15W-50 as recommended.  

Check your spokes after a couple hours, mine started to loosen up.  Not a 2 stroke thing, just a new bike thing.  Other than that clean air filter every 5-10 hours or when it looks kinda nasty, keep 2t oil reservoir full and run it!

thanks for feedback! def need to get a spokes wrench. 

Alright this is where my lack of mechanical skill come in play... So you change the transmission and clutch oil or do they both have their own reservoir? I know 4 strokes share everything under the same engine oil (most cases) 

Dealer recommended 80W tranmission oil for the gear oil change. Am I using 15w-50 for something else? or is that was you use for your gear oil change?

You can use the exact same oil that you used for your 4 strokes ‘engine/gearbox’ oil in your new 2 strokes ‘gearbox’. Your manual will tell you the exact specifications of oils you need. People say buy this and buy that but your better off using what the manufacturer has specified. Other oils maybe cheaper blah blah blah but at least you’ll have piece of mind.

The gearbox oil will need changing between 15 and 20 hours.

Keep the ‘2 stroke’ oil topped up via the cap in front of your petrol tanks filler cap. Better to have to muck oil in there than not enough so I just refill before every ride.

Obviously you’ll need to change the air filter as frequently as the 4 strokes you had. After that, you don’t really need to do anything above and beyond what you is with the 4 stroke.

Read the owners manual as it really does contain some useful information as opposed to peoples opinions, right or wrong they may be.

40 minutes ago, jamesw9404 said:

You can use the exact same oil that you used for your 4 strokes ‘engine/gearbox’ oil in your new 2 strokes ‘gearbox’. Your manual will tell you the exact specifications of oils you need. People say buy this and buy that but your better off using what the manufacturer has specified. Other oils maybe cheaper blah blah blah but at least you’ll have piece of mind.

Highly agree here.  And if you haven't already, read your manual, cover to cover.  Makes for some good bathroom reading, and most of this is covered pretty well.

1 hour ago, jamesw9404 said:

The gearbox oil will need changing between 15 and 20 hours.

Keep the ‘2 stroke’ oil topped up via the cap in front of your petrol tanks filler cap. Better to have to muck oil in there than not enough so I just refill before every ride.

Obviously you’ll need to change the air filter as frequently as the 4 strokes you had. After that, you don’t really need to do anything above and beyond what you is with the 4 stroke.

Read the owners manual as it really does contain some useful information as opposed to peoples opinions, right or wrong they may be.

thanks man appreciate it. sorry for my lack of knowledge on 2 strokes. Just dont want to mess up a 9k bike lol. esp if I plan on keeping it. 

so pretty much gear oil change, and top off 2 stroke oil is the only thing I need to do as far as engine oil goes. 

appreciate the feedback

• Like 1

So I went to a motorcycle shop here in Denver and they sent me home with 80w Belray transmission oil for my gear oil. I checked the manual though and it says 10w40. So I think pre17 they may have been 80w oil. I have a 2017 Husqvarna TE300 and use Rotella T4 15w40 for my gear oil and change it frequently.

5 hours ago, LordCaedus said:

So I went to a motorcycle shop here in Denver and they sent me home with 80w Belray transmission oil for my gear oil. I checked the manual though and it says 10w40. So I think pre17 they may have been 80w oil. I have a 2017 Husqvarna TE300 and use Rotella T4 15w40 for my gear oil and change it frequently.

Both will work, no worries. Some people use what the manual says, which is a very good idea imo, others use specific gear oil forr motorcycles, others use Rotella and the last group uses ATF as it is cheap.

I recommend to use what the manufacturer specifies.  The brand plays no role, the specifications should be right.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, RideWithWill said:

thanks for feedback! def need to get a spokes wrench. 

Alright this is where my lack of mechanical skill come in play... So you change the transmission and clutch oil or do they both have their own reservoir? I know 4 strokes share everything under the same engine oil (most cases) 

Dealer recommended 80W tranmission oil for the gear oil change. Am I using 15w-50 for something else? or is that was you use for your gear oil change?

There should be a spoke wrench in the tool kit that you get with the bike