Small Dent in Exhaust Header.

Posted (edited)

I have a small dent in my header pipe, about 6 inches from the outlet of the engine.  The dent is in the smaller part of the pipe, right around the tips of your toes area.  It’s right where the pipe bends around the front of the bike.  

It’s maybe about 1-2 inches wide and about .75 inches deep.

Would this effect performance? 

Edited by NewEngland400

Here's what my header looked like....it had no detectable impact on performance....so you have no worries. 

I did replace it eventually... but only because it looked so Fre%$#^&#^ terrible. Before it was this bad it had a good sized dent in it from a previous collision and I drove it for 3 years with never any thought of replacing the header.

Don't worry..go riding :)

H_1.jpg.9c6c7eba61d4103b66346175144b9583.jpg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

22 minutes ago, travertt said:

Here's what my header looked like....it had no detectable impact on performance....so you have no worries. 

I did replace it eventually... but only because it looked so Fre%$#^&#^ terrible. Before it was this bad it had a good sized dent in it from a previous collision and I drove it for 3 years with never any thought of replacing the header.

Don't worry..go riding :)

H_1.jpg.9c6c7eba61d4103b66346175144b9583.jpg

Thanks for that.  So dents really don’t matter all that much?  

Not from my experience.

My old WR450 also had a dented header...no problems there either.

• Helpful 1

If you have freezer space, I've read guys will fill the pipe over the dent with water, leave both ends open, water side down and give it overnight to freeze up. Never did it though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Burnrider said:

If you have freezer space, I've read guys will fill the pipe over the dent with water, leave both ends open, water side down and give it overnight to freeze up. Never did it though.

I do have the freezer space.

So, I would fill the pipe with water?  Almost completely full, and let the ice do it’s thing?  

Dont guys also out a damp cloth around the outside or something?  Then again, I don’t see how anything on the outside would work.  The pressure needs to push out from the inside.

Full enough to cover the dent & enough expansion room to let the ice grow. I would put in just enough to cover the dent and try it the first time. might want to search it as it's never been covered with much detail. 

1 hour ago, Burnrider said:

I have done it and it works good.  3 times time to get the dent out of my Ti header on my 525.   

• Like 1

Water being frozen to take out dents? THat's a new one. Sounds like when you want to clear boulders from a field just before winter. Soak the rock and the freeze will split it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnr said:

I have done it and it works good.  3 times time to get the dent out of my Ti header on my 525.   

And you did it as described above?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Water being frozen to take out dents? THat's a new one. Sounds like when you want to clear boulders from a field just before winter. Soak the rock and the freeze will split it.

That’s a new one for me as well.

OP stated his dent is approx. 3/4” deep. Think about how much water expands when it freezes. When you make ice does it blow apart the ice tray and expand 3/4” above the tray?

I’m not saying don’t try it, it just sounds totally ridiculous. 

Posted (edited)

The dent...

E6BC00FC-AD0C-4B78-AF61-6D4F6AD844CE.jpeg

52405641-C7D0-48E8-84D7-8A2926FE87AF.jpeg

Its probably closer to .5 inch or less deep.

Edited by NewEngland400

If you ultra analyze the flow through the header I bet you would find there is some disruption because of the dent. Does it actually make a difference in performance? I would bet no.

as long as there’s not a crack there I would not worry

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That’s a new one for me as well.

I’m not saying don’t try it, it just sounds totally ridiculous. 

Its actually not that uncommon....I've seen a number of people suggest this and post that they have done it with varying degrees of success....do a google search.

Its the same principle as pressurizing water to "un-dent" thin walled pipes...you can buy home units from Britain for this very purpose...they seem to work quite well.

e

Edited by travertt

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2019 at 7:36 PM, NewEngland400 said:

And you did it as described above?

Yes I filled it most of they way and had the dent on the bottom.  Just like those beer cans in the freezer

Edited by bnr

On 4/20/2019 at 6:24 PM, cmbthumper said:

Give it a try it works on pipes.  Just like pipes freezing and breaking in the house.  It may take a few thousand years https://sciencing.com/effect-freezing-thawing-rock-8738243.html  Your quite the science guy!!

If you search long and hard enough, Engine Masters show on YouTube did a episode where they put an engine on the dyno then started denting the headers to see how much it would affect performance.  They dented the headers A LOT and it did not affect performance at all.  

Zero noticeable effect on performance. It's a dirt bike. Go ride! If you must hide it, get a pipe guard, the P3 carbon ones are pretty nice.

Yup the dent makes no difference on performance. If you freeze it it usually takes three times. I use hot water where the dent is or a heat gun to thaw it at a bit then re-freeze it. 

Search you tube for hot rod magazine dyno test of dented headers.. rather interesting the results....(edit...sorry meant to do a general comment not meant for your post.)