All Ball Bearings installation

Hi! I have bought a set of "All Ball Bearings" for my 2000 YZ 125 wheel. I do not see any indication of which side goes inside or outside, 1) I guess they can they go in either way? 2) Also some use grease but others don't, any reason not to use grease? Thanks for your support!

Should not make any difference which way you install them, when you ask about grease I would assume All Balls have sealed bearings? If sealed I have always pulled one side seal and check the grease and go from there.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, mtdirtbag said:

Should not make any difference which way you install them, when you ask about grease I would assume All Balls have sealed bearings? If sealed I have always pulled one side seal and check the grease and go from there.

By using grease, I meant greasing the surface in the hub and on the bearings and seals surface to make it fit and slide more easily in the hub. Sorry for my lack of details earlier and thanks a lot for your comments. Tokyo Off Road and Jeff Slavens do not grease the surface of the hub, bearings and seals  (but they heat the hub surface to make it easier and also freeze the bearing in the freezer before installation), but others do grease these parts.  

greasing surfaces that aren't supposed to normally move sounds like a waste... and will attract dirt.  I'd heat the hub with a hair-dryer, freeze bearing and they should go in easy.  Make sure to drive squarely and only on the outer race and you should be good to go.   I do grease axles mostly to prevent corrosion.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

greasing surfaces that aren't supposed to normally move sounds like a waste... and will attract dirt.  I'd heat the hub with a hair-dryer, freeze bearing and they should go in easy.  Make sure to drive squarely and only on the outer race and you should be good to go.   I do grease axles mostly to prevent corrosion.

Right about the bearing. Never pound the inner race when installing the bearing into a press fit bore, don't grease it either, until it's installed (use motor oil). Freezing the bearing first is good advice. It will get microscopically smaller (shrink) in diameter. And heating the bore might cause it to grow in diameter, making installation easier.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1