I have a 2000 klr250 and it is extremely hard to start, like it will not start when its cold.m, and it takes 6-7 kicks to start when its hot. So i figured it was my valve clearances, but when i was in the engine i saw that the timing was off a tooth, so i got to work timing it. I got it timed correctly and tried to turn the engine over and neither of the cams moved. The chain moved and skipped a couple of teeth but the cams stayed still. How can i get my cams to move? Should i put more oil on them or loosen the cams a little?

Posted (edited)

did you re-set the tensioner? assemble the plunger to the engine fully retracted,  with the spring out. only after everything is set do you install the spring and cap

the cam caps only tighten so much. I believe the torque is about 100 inch pounds... maybe 95, maybe 105. thats what it wants,  and thats what it needs to be. 

might be locked up because the thrust flange is bound up in the chain side caps & journal due to being miss-aligned. be careful with the dowels. if they get loose they have a habit of going down the tunnel. I locktite them  in to the head

Edited by Beezerboy