2007 CRF80F shift lever replacement

I have ordered a shop manual online but ETA is 3 weeks. Can anybody tell me torque spec for shift lever bolt? Been looking for days but can’t find it anywhere... Thanks in advance!

I tighten it to the same torque spec as a muffler bearing, Starter Belt, Piston return spring, fan belt buckle, Freeze plug wires, and the Drilled and slotted brake lines.  Just google it.  They have have the same torque spec..

10mm bolts 40-48 foot pounds

But if the splines are in good shape on both  the shaft and the shifter there is really no need to put a torque wrench on it.

Tighten it until it is tight around the shaft and then ride.

If the splines are trashed then it does not really matter how tight you tighten it -- it will slip..

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Woodspike said:

Are your serious with that or joking?
I don't think his is a real post.  

Edited by socalxr

1 hour ago, socalxr said:

I tighten it to the same torque spec as a muffler bearing, Starter Belt, Piston return spring, fan belt buckle, Freeze plug wires, and the Drilled and slotted brake lines.  Just google it.  They have have the same torque spec..

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Woodspike said:

But if the splines are in good shape on both  the shaft and the shifter there is really no need to put a torque wrench on it.

Tighten it until it is tight around the shaft and then ride.

If the splines are trashed then it does not really matter how tight you tighten it -- it will slip..

Thanks!! Kinda new at this and just trying to keep grandson riding happy and safe!! It’s a great little bike!

1 hour ago, socalxr said:

Are your serious with that or joking?
I don't think his is a real post.  

That is directly from my xr200 fsm. 

I figure a bolt is a bolt. Especially on a shifter.

I almost never use a torque wrench, I tighten by feel. It has worked for me for 25 years of wrenching. 

Either way it was better than the starter belt post :)

3 hours ago, Woodspike said:

That is directly from my xr200 fsm. 

I figure a bolt is a bolt. Especially on a shifter.

I almost never use a torque wrench, I tighten by feel. It has worked for me for 25 years of wrenching. 

Either way it was better than the starter belt post :)

The shift shaft is a 6mm bolt with a 10mm head.  The manual list a 6mm with a 10mm flange head at 12NM or 8.85 foot pounds.  

39 minutes ago, Woodspike said:

Hey Look!

A serious answer, thanks.

?

13 hours ago, Woodspike said:

Hey Look!

A serious answer, thanks.

We've had a couple trolls on the site lately.   So when a guy on his first post asks about the torque of a shifter bolt, I thought it had to be fake.  I've been on here about 20 years and no one has ever asked that.  It's just "tight" with a little 10mm wrench.  Then when you put 40 - 48 ft lbs., it was so far off, I thought you were joking too.  I hope is didn't see your answer and snap the bolt off.  BTW, you looked it up, you read the specs for a 10mm bolt, not 6mm bolt.  

Stupid mistake on my part, I know better. 

He seems like a real person, just new to the sport. Glad he finally got a real answer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woodspike said:

Stupid mistake on my part, I know better. 

He seems like a real person, just new to the sport. Glad he finally got a real answer. 

I know exactly where you coming from.  The older I get, the more I make.

Thanks for your help guys. I am indeed a newbie and probably overly cautious in making grandson's little bike fun and safe to ride. I will certainly be checking here for more info in the future.

Now to find an inexpensive way to get headlight and taillight installed so it complies with off-road regulations here....