Honda Unable to match up timing correctly/bike will not start.

Hi, i am completely new to posting on this site so i am sorry in advance if i do something incorrect. 

I have a Honda crf 250r 2007 that i cannot get the timing marks to line up properly. When i line either the crank timing mark correctly or stater mark correctly the opposite sides marks will not line up at all. I am going to attach photos of when the stater marks are lined up and show where the crank mark sits. 

I am trying to figure out what my problem is so i know what to buy or break a part first. The bike ran previously but it ran like crap so i re-shimmed the bike back into spec and now the bike will not run and the timing marks look like this. I am uncertain if the marks had been off this whole time or not. 

I am not sure if the crank side gears had been put on a tooth off from correct spot ( i don't believe this to be the issue) or if the stater has just moved over a bit somehow. I do not have enough knowledge about the internals to really know from a guess. 

On the crank side i have all the marks lining up properly that i can see, the water pump gear is lined up to the inner gear and outer gear from the crank. (unsure of the right terms for them but all 3 dots are in line. 

I would have torn off the side covers and looked deeper into this but i do not have a proper torque wrench to place everything back together and i do not have a flywheel puller/strap wrench. 

I am just looking for some possible ideas to my problem before i buy the tools and try to fix it myself or give it to a shop and be out quite a bit of money.

20190419_134731.jpg

20190419_141758.jpg

Edited by hunter amos

I don’t have a service manual in front of me so I’m not going to able to help. But  you didn’t tell us whether you’re working on ignition timing, or cam timing.   And can you tell us what happened to the bike so that it no longer runs ?

have a look at this, maybe it’ll help 

Edited by ss-racing

I am aware of how to get the timing to match up with the cam crank and stater but what i'm saying it regardless of how i try to finesse the crank timing the stator is always off. Getting the cam timing right is not a problem. 

The bike was previously rebuilt brand new top and bottom end, the bike ran but it ran like crap so i checked the shims and they were out of spec. I placed the shims back in to proper spec. I am unsure as to if the timing marks had always been this far off and that's why it ran like crap or if it is a new symptom. 

Granted when it was rebuilt the bike would not kick over, it had to be bump started. When warm the bike would kick over no problems. 

I am trying to get the timing from the crank,ignition, and cam together to get the bike to run. I cant get the crank and ignition timing marks to match up properly. 

His idea in the video about the flywheel slipping might be my issue.

Not sure if this will help your issue, but let’s hope so. I just rebuilt my 07 and while trying for the initial start up I couldn’t get it to start for the life of me. Putting it together i made sure my timing marks were good. But somewhere along the way (I’m guessing while adjusting shims) my timing got off. I also believe it could’ve been because I installed the chain tensioner after I closed up the top end. After a lot of kicks I took my cylinder cap off and noticed my timing was off by one single tooth on the cam shaft. After the adjustment she started right up.

i don't think that is my issue but i guess to make sure timing is perfect ill let the tensioner loose.

pretty certain im going to have to tear apart both sides of the bottom end just have to buy some tools.