Gear for first dirt bike???

So the thread in "which bike should I buy?".  Picking up my first dirt bike next week.  I need gear.  I want the best protection for the money.  Fly?  Astars?  Boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, jersey, pants, armor???  Where should I buy?

Thanks!

Justin

PS: Tried on a Fly helmet, large.  Seemed to fit really well.  My Shoei for my track bike is a large.

Helmets are a personal preference for shape of your head. Suggest MIPS or equivalent. Ventilation counts for summer! I like TLD SE4, but lots of good ones out there.

If there is somewhere the best matters: boots...strongly suggest Gaerne SG-12 (go 0.5 size down from your street shoe)

Endless debate on merit of neck braces. Easiest way to address is the Leatt Fusion 3.0 combo chest & neck. Comfy. Good protection. No, does not limit range of motion. You will need separate arm/elbow guards. (I had the Fox Titan; no comparison.)

Also endless debate on merit of knee braces. I’m an “ounce of prevention” person and wear Mobius X8. No longer notice them other than the extra few minutes it takes to get ready. Wear knee socks or cycling knee warmers under them to stay cooler. Counterintuitive but true.

MX pants. I like Klim MX Lite for the ventilation and having a pocket. Any gloves that fit. You’ll go through many. Goggles with tinting you prefer. Put a tear off on them to keep from getting scratched.

Hydration pack: USWE stay put and don’t bounce around. I prefer the MTB Airborne version but they are all good.

Have fun shopping!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Helmets are a personal preference for shape of your head. Suggest MIPS or equivalent. Ventilation counts for summer! I like TLD SE4, but lots of good ones out there.

If there is somewhere the best matters: boots...strongly suggest Gaerne SG-12 (go 0.5 size down from your street shoe)

Endless debate on merit of neck braces. Easiest way to address is the Leatt Fusion 3.0 combo chest & neck. Comfy. Good protection. No, does not limit range of motion. You will need separate arm/elbow guards. (I had the Fox Titan; no comparison.)

Also endless debate on merit of knee braces. I’m an “ounce of prevention” person and wear Mobius X8. No longer notice them other than the extra few minutes it takes to get ready. Wear knee socks or cycling knee warmers under them to stay cooler. Counterintuitive but true.

MX pants. I like Klim MX Lite for the ventilation and having a pocket. Any gloves that fit. You’ll go through many. Goggles with tinting you prefer. Put a tear off on them to keep from getting scratched.

Hydration pack: USWE stay put and don’t bounce around. I prefer the MTB Airborne version but they are all good.

Have fun shopping!

Thanks man, I tried on the Fly helmet and I knew a guy with a shop that sold them.  It felt pretty good.  As for hydration, I already have a camel back for MTB that should work for now.  People already tease me about looking like a power ranger in my road bike track gear, wait till they see me in ugly-ass bright colored dirty bike gear!...  :)

Quality boots are always great. Sidi if you have regular size feet and gaerna if you have big feet. I have sidi and like that it's easy to shift gears. Thor makes durable pants and jerseys. Knee pads and a decent chest protector.  The dealership is the best place to try on and buy first time to support them. Then you can go online. I do buy online,  but I buy from the dealership to, to keep a good relationship,  especially if they're great.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Have fun shopping!

Man those Mobius X8s are serious...  $600 for the pair.  I'm gonna feel like a damn storm trooper...  :D

22 minutes ago, Edgecombe said:

Quality boots are always great. Sidi if you have regular size feet and gaerna if you have big feet. I have sidi and like that it's easy to shift gears. Thor makes durable pants and jerseys. Knee pads and a decent chest protector.  The dealership is the best place to try on and buy first time to support them. Then you can go online. I do buy online,  but I buy from the dealership to, to keep a good relationship,  especially if they're great.

I assume you mean the Crossfire 3's?  Always heard mixed reviews on Sidi boots, I ride Astars for tracking my road bike.

There is a huge price range in helmets.  All the decent ones are going to offer good protection.  More money usually means lighter weight and better ventilation.  But don't think you have to spend top dollar to get good protection.

Boots are where you get what you pay for.  Cheaper boots start stiff and stay stiff making it very hard to feel the brake and shifter.  Better boots will break in and get really comfortable.  Good brands like Alpinestars, Sidi and Gaerne are pricy but really do function much better than cheap boots in my experience.

In googles, I like the dual pane Fox Enduro goggles.  I think other brands make dual pane goggles.  I highly recommend dual pane goggles.  They will not fog.  The other goggles I've owned fog up badly which really sucks. 

Gloves... Any decent motocross glove.

Pants / Jersey.  I own Fly's cheap MX stuff, their mid range MX stuff and just recently bought a pair of their Patrol off-road pants/jersey.   They all work just fine, but the Patrols are really nice.  I like the fact they are off-road oriented with vents that can be opened or closed.   The fact you don't look like a power ranger is a bonus.  I'm sure there are a lot of other good brands.  

Chest protector - I own a Thor and it was OK but I had a buckle break after a few rides and the company won't respond to me about purchasing a replacement.  So I think I might try something different like a Fly or Fox.

Neck brace - this is an argument waiting to happen.  There are arguments about their effectiveness or possibly even their roll in causing injuries. For many they restrict movement and are uncomfortable.  They are expensive.m I choose not to wear one .  Do your own research and make your own decisions.  

Doc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Justin H. said:

Man those Mobius X8s are serious...  $600 for the pair.  I'm gonna feel like a damn storm trooper...  :D

I assume you mean the Crossfire 3's?  Always heard mixed reviews on Sidi boots, I ride Astars for tracking my road bike.

I have the crossfire 2s. Buy what your comfortable with. What type of riding will you be doing? 

1 minute ago, Edgecombe said:

I have the crossfire 2s. Buy what your comfortable with. What type of riding will you be doing? 

Trails, trees, single track, power lines, mining roads, maybe some MX track practice days...

3 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

There is a huge price range in helmets.  All the decent ones are going to offer good protection.  More money usually means lighter weight and better ventilation.  But don't think you have to spend top dollar to get good protection.

Boots are where you get what you pay for.  Cheaper boots start stiff and stay stiff making it very hard to feel the brake and shifter.  Better boots will break in and get really comfortable.  Good brands like Alpinestars, Sidi and Gaerne are pricy but really do function much better than cheap boots in my experience.

In googles, I like the dual pane Fox Enduro goggles.  I think other brands make dual pane goggles.  I highly recommend dual pane goggles.  They will not fog.  The other goggles I've owned fog up badly which really sucks. 

Pants / Jersey.  I own Fly's cheap MX stuff, their mid range MX stuff and just recently bought a pair of their Patrol off-road pants/jersey.   They all work just fine, but the Patrols are really nice.  I like the fact they are off-road oriented with vents that can be opened or closed.   The fact you don't look like a power ranger is a bonus.  I'm sure there are a lot of other good brands.  

Chest protector - I own a Thor and it was OK but I had a buckle break after a few rides and the company won't respond to me about purchasing a replacement.  So I think I might try something different like a Fly or Fox.

Neck brace - this is an argument waiting to happen.  There are arguments about their effectiveness or possibly even their roll in causing injuries. For many they restrict movement and are uncomfortable.  They are expensive.m I choose not to wear one .  Do your own research and make your own decisions.  

Doc

Thanks Doc...

• Like 1

Just now, Justin H. said:

Trails, trees, single track, power lines, mining roads, maybe some MX track practice days...

Pretty much everything, so just as long as you go with a decent brand you should be golden. Just like doc said, do a little research and you'll pretty much have to make your own decision about brand. Everyone will have their own.  I like the light sensitive progrip goggles too. You probably will get a thousand replies, but you really need to try the stuff on if you can. 

• Like 2

Doc

Doc is right on get what you pay for in boots. I’d go down to a $100 helmet (that meets DOT) to afford my Gaerne if I had to. If they had ski binding attachment points I’d ski in them.

• Like 1

My only issue with the Mobius is once the elastic band that helps snap the brace back stretches out over time, it will create a gap between the top piece and knee cup allowing your pants to bind. This prevents you from fully extending your knee when going from sitting to standing. My set is a couple years old but I had that issue almost instantly and recently figured out what it was. Great protection otherwise. Hope that helps

My only issue with the Mobius is once the elastic band that helps snap the brace back stretches out over time, it will create a gap between the top piece and knee cup allowing your pants to bind. This prevents you from fully extending your knee when going from sitting to standing. My set is a couple years old but I had that issue almost instantly and recently figured out what it was. Great protection otherwise. Hope that helps

Huh? It’s a metal wire. It doesn’t stretch.

Posted (edited)

OK, so here's what I did...

Got 2 sets of jerseys & pants each with gloves, plus an extra jersey.  The first set is for hotter weather and second for a little cooler.  I got it all on super clearance from AOMC.  I could wear a large jersey, but I went XL with the thought of wearing my chest and elbow protectors under my jersey?  I guess we'll see when it all gets here.

PS:  I know, I'll look like a KTM power ranger &%$#@!...  don't care.

250 XC-W TPI.jpg

boots.jpg

chest protector.jpg

elbow guards.jpg

knee braces.jpg

helmet.jpg

hitch carrier.jpg

jacket.jpg

jersey & pants.jpg

1894252896_gloves2.jpg.fb1db715fb85c33a3d239fb432b6c956.jpg

jersey.thumb.jpg.33ae26c334f9707c078a61569b424f10.jpg

pants.jpg

gloves.jpg

Edited by Justin H.
duplicate pics
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Justin H. said:

So the thread in "which bike should I buy?".  Picking up my first dirt bike next week.  I need gear.  I want the best protection for the money.  Fly?  Astars?  Boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, jersey, pants, armor???  Where should I buy?

Thanks!

Justin

PS: Tried on a Fly helmet, large.  Seemed to fit really well.  My Shoei for my track bike is a large.

def dont cheap out on boots. I bought some 99$ o neal thinking I was going to do some simple offroading....and I still label myself as a beginner and one time handle bars dropped hard on my ankle and left a nasty bruise. 1 month in, and I still feel it. Think it is something that will take 4 or 5 months to heal. granted, if I did not have boots, that ankle would have been torn open with bones flesh and all exposed. Another time, I fell and heat exhaust was on the boot. ankle twisted a little but not bad.

I am going to jump the gun and get rid of these boots and go for very good boots. Those boots in the pic are good. but just advising not to cheap on them

Edited by RideWithWill
  • Like 1

OK, so here's what I did...
Got 2 sets of jerseys & pants each with gloves, plus an extra jersey.  The first set is for hotter weather and second for a little cooler.  I got it all on super clearance from AOMC.  I could wear a large jersey, but I went XL with the thought of wearing my chest and elbow protectors under my jersey?  I guess we'll see when it all gets here.
PS:  I know, I'll look like a KTM power ranger &%$#@!...  don't care.
2024195875_250XC-WTPI.jpg.c2cccbfce7e01669d15e2165537de1b4.jpg
boots.jpg.7cf39e9c6e86e42c1ebb7cd171d5a15f.jpg
644032295_chestprotector.jpg.654aea0ff0118028630b0c8a6cff15e6.jpg
1840047138_elbowguards.jpg.81014cbc76a5e4995af9d838147df8ca.jpg
995375169_kneebraces.jpg.1ec21753016a6c152df8877975bbf516.jpg
helmet.jpg.0a99ca6e4eeb213bebd65f53ccdd9a4c.jpg
2007658910_hitchcarrier.jpg.b611c8876b952568063d0c719057f4dc.jpg
jacket.thumb.jpg.36baf9d6576bc7bf7ef60ae63ef1f93a.jpg
1736910829_jerseypants.jpg.9a03f759e3eb2cfb6c84635f66ca51fb.jpg
1894252896_gloves2.jpg.fb1db715fb85c33a3d239fb432b6c956.jpg
jersey.thumb.jpg.33ae26c334f9707c078a61569b424f10.jpg
pants.thumb.jpg.890e777869342afab1eabcb5f1c3e837.jpg
gloves.jpg.6e301c23cfaf45076b4478f1df24da10.jpg

You did well. Yes, well you did.

My only comment FWIW is I prefer my chest protector “over” my jersey. The reason? Stop for a break and easier to take it off. Also you look less like a Michelin man. A tiny other reason might be that your jersey will wick your sweat off a bit better if not so baggy, not to mention be less prone to catch a wayward branch if you’re in really tight stuff. There are times I have to lower my head and sort of power my way through brush, let’s say to take a new line to get around a fallen tree. YMMV.

You’ll love the boots. Hope you got ‘em a bit under your street size. Especially if you opt to not wear ridiculously thick socks (thin socks are better IMHO).

Lastly, don’t forget to get some cycling lycra “knee warmers” (don’t worry, they work as “coolers” just as well) or knee brace socks. I like the Fly Racing onee brace socks ones as they have good ventilation.

If like me you found the Mobius a bit narrow right at the sides of your knee joint, two solutions that work:

1. Wedge something in there when not riding until right before you ride to spread them out (that’s what Mobius recommends)

2. Remove the knee cap pad from inside the brace. That’s what I do. But only works if you have some lycra or something underneath.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

You did well. Yes, well you did.

My only comment FWIW is I prefer my chest protector “over” my jersey. The reason? Stop for a break and easier to take it off. Also you look less like a Michelin man. A tiny other reason might be that your jersey will wick your sweat off a bit better if not so baggy, not to mention be less prone to catch a wayward branch if you’re in really tight stuff. There are times I have to lower my head and sort of power my way through brush, let’s say to take a new line to get around a fallen tree. YMMV.

You’ll love the boots. Hope you got ‘em a bit under your street size. Especially if you opt to not wear ridiculously thick socks (thin socks are better IMHO).

Lastly, don’t forget to get some cycling lycra “knee warmers” (don’t worry, they work as “coolers” just as well) or knee brace socks. I like the Fly Racing onee brace socks ones as they have good ventilation.

If like me you found the Mobius a bit narrow right at the sides of your knee joint, two solutions that work:

1. Wedge something in there when not riding until right before you ride to spread them out (that’s what Mobius recommends)

2. Remove the knee cap pad from inside the brace. That’s what I do. But only works if you have some lycra or something underneath.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the input!  I'd actually planned to wear an under armor base layer top and bottom for sweat wicking and to prevent the knee braces chafing (I do the same under my track leathers).  Like you I was concerned about snagging things in tight stuff and just figured I'd rather snag a $30 dollar jersey than my $300 chest protector.  Meh, I'm sure I'll make adjustments once I get a few days in.  And yes, just like my track boots, I went with a 9 vs. my 9.5 street shoes...  My snowboard boots are also 9s.  Thanks again!  :D