39 minutes ago, mx_599 said:

I follow what you guys are saying. The desert would be very small percent of it. Plus the injected 2 stroke is just different.  BUT... I sort of want a bike for desert race. Who knows, maybe financially different position in couple yrs to get even another one!

Maybe I will check a couple desert/baja forums and see  if anyone doing 300i. Obviously I dont want to blow it up.

I'd say mostly fun riding in the mtns on a meet-up group after heartbreak and nursing a mid life crisis. So I am buying a bike.🥺

The days of a needing a four stroke for desert racing are long gone, unless you are racing something like BITD.  For a Hare and Hound, the races with runs on dry lake beds are few and far between.  I obviously race a 450, but the top 2 guys in my class right now (40A) are running a 300XC and a YZ250 respectively.  It doesn't hurt them one bit, as half of a modern desert course in most places still has lots of "technical" stuff where a 300 shines.  I can go by them on the straights, but that is more than offset by how much faster they can go through the rocks and the tight canyons.

For one or two races a year the 300 isn't going to be any disadvantage at all.

• Helpful 2

15 minutes ago, eastreich said:

The days of a needing a four stroke for desert racing are long gone, unless you are racing something like BITD.  For a Hare and Hound, the races with runs on dry lake beds are few and far between.  I obviously race a 450, but the top 2 guys in my class right now (40A) are running a 300XC and a YZ250 respectively.  It doesn't hurt them one bit, as half of a modern desert course in most places still has lots of "technical" stuff where a 300 shines.  I can go by them on the straights, but that is more than offset by how much faster they can go through the rocks and the tight canyons.

For one or two races a year the 300 isn't going to be any disadvantage at all.

Lol, welllll....

I was kind of thinking vegas reno and baja 500/1000

I mean the baja might never happen.

I did the Vegas on a quad....but was not paying attention to the dirt bike world around me.

33 minutes ago, mx_599 said:

Lol, welllll....

I was kind of thinking vegas reno and baja 500/1000

I mean the baja might never happen.

I did the Vegas on a quad....but was not paying attention to the dirt bike world around me.

It might be worthwhile to compare fuel consumption.  My carbureted 2-strokes guzzle way more than my EFI 4T.

• Helpful 2

41 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

It might be worthwhile to compare fuel consumption.  My carbureted 2-strokes guzzle way more than my EFI 4T.

I thought about that too...supposedly injected 2 stroke a lot less than carb