Hi,

Recently I was in a head on with another rider on my 2016 350xc-f at around 60km/h. The impact broke the upper triple clamp, bent the stem connecting the two triple clamps, basically exploded my front wheel and bent the caliper bracket on the lower part of my fork.. I know its obviously very hard to say over the internet, but what is the likelyhood that my frame is actually bent as well? (Not the sub-frame) Has anybody else had experience with this?

Thanksreceived_2201427876776857.jpegreceived_345125242802426.jpegreceived_2116158318465754.jpeg20190225_171442.jpeg

See all that deformation...absolutely bent. 
FDFC5C65-1F35-4783-A51B-13C957EE9268.thumb.jpeg.13f143bf507bcd63524d4bf3c4f3c7bc.jpeg
Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed that at all.. I havent had the chance to look in person I only have photos.

I'd bring the bike  into a dealer. Have them inspect it.

If not strip everything off the frame and go thru every piece of that frame with a magnifying glass. 

The fact that the forks, wheel and three clamp exploded on impact could be a good sign that the crash energy was dissipated and didnt mangle the frame.

I personally cant tell from the pics of your frame is bent, cracked or compromised in any way.

Better safe then sorry!

• Like 1

I think I will just pull it all apart and inspect it properly.
I was thinking that because the forks were twisted, the rim was broken, clamps broken and stem bent that it may have been enough to absorb some/most of the force before it got to the frame.
But as you said, better safe than sorry.
Thank you

I'd bring the bike  into a dealer. Have them inspect it.
If not strip everything off the frame and go thru every piece of that frame with a magnifying glass. 
The fact that the forks, wheel and three clamp exploded on impact could be a good sign that the crash energy was dissipated and didnt mangle the frame.
I personally cant tell from the pics of your frame is bent, cracked or compromised in any way.
Better safe then sorry!

Any sign of 'cracked paint' means the frame is definitely bent. Precise measurements can be used to identify issues as well. Once the front end is fixed, sighting the bike at a distance (20' or so) may identify alignment issues. Depending where you live, there are bike frame shops that can determine the damage and if it can be fixed or a new frame is called for. My own experience is with modern race bikes such as this, if the frame is bent, it cannot be fixed, it must be replaced.

• Like 3

Ok thanks for the info.

Any sign of 'cracked paint' means the frame is definitely bent. Precise measurements can be used to identify issues as well. Once the front end is fixed, sighting the bike at a distance (20' or so) may identify alignment issues. Depending where you live, there are bike frame shops that can determine the damage and if it can be fixed or a new frame is called for. My own experience is with modern race bikes such as this, if the frame is bent, it cannot be fixed, it must be replaced.

Wow, that's quite an impact. Hope nobody got hurt *too* badly. 

I haven't looked closely at how these frames should look, so I don't know if what bricktop is pointing out is factory or damage. 

Posted (edited)

Damn!  that must have been a very BAD day!

Those bikes with horns, and knowing its public and possibly 2 way, might be a good idea for people to use it, if you got it, before blind corners.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Yep it sucked! That's a good thought however it probably wouldnt have made a difference in this case. Other rider was on the wrong side of the road around a blind corner there was really nothing I could have done to prevent it unfortunately wrong place wrong time

Damn!  that must have been a very BAD day!
Those bikes with horns, and knowing its public and possibly 2 way, might be a good idea for people to use it, if you got it, before blind corners.

Yep it sucked! That's a good thought however it probably wouldnt have made a difference in this case. Other rider was on the wrong side of the road around a blind corner there was really nothing I could have done to prevent it unfortunately wrong place wrong time

If it can be proven he was o. The wrong side of the road he is responsible for the accident and therefore he pays to fix your bike. Hope no one was seriously injured.

Yes - only issue is.. he is/was one of my good mates so we are trying to sort it out between each other without screwing each other over. He has agreed to pay for most of the damages.
No serious injuries - broken wrist and bruised lungs for me, he ended up with a bit of nerve damage. Very lucky

If it can be proven he was o. The wrong side of the road he is responsible for the accident and therefore he pays to fix your bike. Hope no one was seriously injured.

I'm willing to bet that your frame is worthless now. Broken wrists usually heal up OK, and I assume your bruised lungs is really come bruised or cracked ribs. I've managed to break my wrists three times in the past few years, and I rode 24+ miles today. It helps if you are young ? which I am not.

• Like 1

Sorry you had to go through this

• Like 1

It does NOT look bent to me and I doubt it could bend in the center between the down tube and spine. Where the two meet the steering stem is probably the strongest point of the structure and there is no direct pressure at the suspected "bend" since the steering head bearings to races are the two stress points and the center of the head is hollow and untouched by the stem. If there is any deformity I would suspect it would be at the upper and/or lower "cup" or flange that the bearings/races sit in. Check those two points for roundness and cracks. I would think if the frame was compromised the bearings would have shoved the lip of the steering head backwards and egged out the race carriers. My $0.02

• Like 1

See all that deformation...absolutely bent. 
FDFC5C65-1F35-4783-A51B-13C957EE9268.thumb.jpeg.13f143bf507bcd63524d4bf3c4f3c7bc.jpeg

At first glance it would appear so, but take a second look. What you circled is a stamped feature from the factory. Here’s my ‘18 250XC, same area:
IMG_2612.jpg
  • Like 2

I think we need a better photo of the steering stem area and it should be obvious if it is bent.  I agree it looks like it is, but we can't be sure based on the shadows/lighting.

I had a fairly low speed head on many years ago when I was younger and there was no lasting damage to either bike and I still fractured my arm and ended up in a cast.  Glad neither of you were seriously injured.  That front wheel was destroyed!

37 minutes ago, nahvkolaj said:

At first glance it would appear so, but take a second look. What you circled is a stamped feature from the factory. Here’s my ‘18 250XC, same area:
IMG_2612.jpg

Yep it’s 100% possible the lighting or angle of the picture makes it look damaged when it really isn’t. Would need a very close inspection by somebody who knows what they are looking for. 

Personally if it were my bike I don’t know if I could ever trust it, and would probably be looking for a replacement. 

If the frame is in no way bent, which you'd have to disassemble it completely and compare measurements using some damn good tools to a known good frame, then it's good.  If the steel bents but returns to it's normal place, with no cracks in the welds, use it.  

But how are you going to measure it?

http://www.velocitycalibrations.com/motorcycle-frame-repair

Check the steering bearing bore for roundness.  It may not hold a bearing properly anymore.  If there's any single part of it that's not right replace it

• Like 1