JD Jetting question....

• 1 year later...

Just got the jd tuner for my bike along with a yoshi full system, bike is running great, definitely noticeable difference in power. It’s a 2019 Crf450L. The only thing that is bugging me a bit is i went quite a bit richer on the idle circuit, defiantly helps the choppy throttle, seems to idle too high now, has anyone else noticed this with their tuner? 

1 hour ago, Alanv986 said:

Just got the jd tuner for my bike along with a yoshi full system, bike is running great, definitely noticeable difference in power. It’s a 2019 Crf450L. The only thing that is bugging me a bit is i went quite a bit richer on the idle circuit, defiantly helps the choppy throttle, seems to idle too high now, has anyone else noticed this with their tuner? 

Adjust the Idle. 

Untitled.jpg

4 minutes ago, Alanv986 said:

Awesome, I appreciate the info, had no idea you could manually adjust these, got the bike 2 weeks ago and they had to ship me owners manual because they misplaced the one for the bike. Kinda wondering if I spun that knob by accident. 🤔

https://powersports.honda.com/downloads/owners-manuals

You can download the book from that link. I have a copy saved to  my phone.

J.

Edited by JCSS1976

• 4 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 10:18 PM, dp19 said:

I'd say it eliminated about 90% of it, enough for it to be a non-issue.  From my understanding (and I could be wrong) there are two things that causes the choppy throttle.  The first one is the extremely lean idle that transitions into a much richer (but still lean) low throttle.  Every time you apply a tiny bit of throttle it leaves that lean idle state with a jerk into the less lean low throttle position.  This is what causes 90% of the chop you're feeling and this is what the JD fuel controller fixes (the higher setting of 6 for the idle zone).  This brings the idle mixture evenly with the low throttle mixture allowing for a seamless transition.  This greatly improves low-speed trail riding experience. 

The second source of chop is that while decelerating with no throttle applied the ECU cuts out the fuel injector completely until you approach the idle RPM where it switches it on again to prevent stalling.  If you release the throttle and re-apply throttle before reaching idle you can feel the injector kick in again (and you can see this happening on the JD with the flashing lights).  The chop under this condition is much less severe and is common to most fuel-injected bikes.  The JD (or any add-on fuel controller) will not fix this.  Someone coming off a carbureted bike is more likely to notice this as carburetors don't completely cut off fuel when the throttle is released.

Something to take note about the JD is that the order of the zones on the instructions sheet and on the programming sequence are in a different order than how they are triggered while riding.  For example, when programming or looking at the sheet you see the following zones :1 GREEN, 2 YELLOW, 3 RED, 4 GREEN/BLUE, 5 YELLOW/BLUE, 6 RED/BLUE.  When riding from idle to full throttle they are triggered in the following order (Ignore zone 6 because it's not really a zone):

4 Green/Blue - Idle (setting of 6)
1 Green - Low throttle (setting of 3.5)
5 Yellow/Blue - Low-medium throttle (setting of 3.5)
2 Yellow - Medium throttle (setting of 4)
3 Red - Full throttle  (setting of 4.5)

6 Red/Blue - accelerator pump

So effectively the sequence of fuel adjustments are triggered as follows when riding:   6,  3.5,  3.5,  4,  4.5.  You can see that it's a gradual progression except for the idle which was way too lean from the factory.

Again, note that setting all the zones to 3 makes it run like stock with no tuner.  Higher number increases fuel while lower number decreases fuel

As for the settings I picked, the two I changed from the recommended values was the idle (6) which was recommended by others for the throttle chop and the Yellow/Blue zone to 3.5 instead of 4 because I could feel the transition from the Green zone (3.5) to the Yellow/Blue zone (4).  The setting of 4 is slightly more powerful than the setting of 3.5 and the switchover was noticeable especially because this happens at a relatively low throttle position.  Matching it to the green zone (3.5) the transition was eliminated and if I want more power I can just apply more throttle until I hit the Yellow zone (4).  With these settings everything is seamless and I don't feel any transitions at any throttle positions.

Lastly, I've only had the tuner for a little while and I'm still experimenting with it.  These may not be my final settings.

The instruction sheets have been posted in this thread

I hope all this makes sense and sorry for the long write-up.

I just wanted to add to my original post from 2019 that this write-up was done before the Vortex was a readily available option.  My opinions have changed and I made a new post about it.  The JD doesn't really fix the choppy throttle issue that well, it only somewhat patches it.  Here is the follow-up thread with the Vortex.

• 4 months later...

After debating back and forth about whether or not to go full vortex or JD jetting or something else entirely (???) I decided to stick to a budget and install the JD Jetting tuner. It helped that I met a guy in Grand Junction when I was out there riding who had the tuner on his bike that he let me ride. Now - I'll admit to not be the most sensitive to these types of things - i just like to ride - but I feel that using the tuner made a huge difference for that bike and made my decision easy. I ordered the JD jetting EFI tuner kit for my 2019 450L that same day.

I made a little video and blog post on my installation and experience with the JD Jetting EFI Tuner so far. Again, different people like different things, but for me it has done wonders for the bike. I am stoked!

Anyway, I've gotten so much good info and guidance from the group here, figured I'd share to give something back. I know folks rave about the Vortex ECU - and I am sure it is actually the best - but for my riding style and budget I really feel like the JD Jetting EFI Tuner has transformed the bike for me. I enjoyed riding it before, but now I absolutely love it. And its also kinda fun to play around with the settings to get different results.

Anyway, video here:

Full blog post here: https://www.pointsunknown.com/blog/2021/06/installing-the-jd-jetting-efi-tuner-on-a-honda-crf-450l/

And for those just interested in my Tuner settings (bike is generally stock, but I do have a 53 tooth rear sprocket and the G2 throttle tamer),
my current settings are as follows: Green: 4; Yellow (orange): 4; Red: 4; Green/Blue: 4/5; Yellow/Blue: 4/5; Red/Blue: 3

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1