Is Honda making a 2020 CR500?

Just ordered mine with factory Rotella gear oil, Klotz Techniplate break in oil, and Rekluse just told me they are specking my auto clutch.  Seat Concepts is already on notice to make me a comfy seat!  Now to get a dessert tank, and appropriate XR gears!  Single track gold, guaranteed never to boil...?

Oh yeah...forgot...Need to get my full wrap bark busters and bar risers...There now that should fire most everyone up...

Edited by trailrydr9

8 minutes ago, I'm trying said:

Man I hate when I see this posted. Not bc it's fake or that I want a 500. I want Honda an all new CR250R. I know it's never gonna happen and that makes me sad.?

There, there fellow 2 stroker, Take 2 glasses of Pro-Honda lube and call Dr CR dude in the morning, Nurse fetch my Dial gage and some fresh piston rings STAT!head-nurse-costume-0057.jpg.7f3e7245dd542d3eb7b4e9d418530e01.jpg

• Helpful 2

What Honda and Yamaha need to do is make a non restricted, fuel injected, 300 two stroke with electric start, hydraulic clutch, to complete with KTM. It will never happen just like they will never make a CR 500 again. It’s too bad because they gave the technology to do amazing things. If the market was truly there I think Honda and Yamaha would do it. Unfortunately the industry isn’t as strong as it used to be and prices for motorcycles are twice as much as they used to be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2milehighspike said:

Yup they stole the ennjineering from a 1962 Saab!

Best sedan ever made, my 2003 9/5 Aero. It was the fastest accelerating sedan on the market from 35 to 80mph. I also had a couple of late 80s 900turbos with a 2.0T in it. At that time, the car was revolutionary in the way it electronically controlled the timing AND boost at the same time!!! Saab APC ftw!  Its amazing how far the ecu technology has come in just a few decades. 

Edited by couchtater
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, couchtater said:

I had a couple of late 80s 900turbos with a 2.0T in it. At that time, the car was revolutionary in the way it electronically controlled the timing AND boost at the same time!!! Saab APC ftw!  Its amazing how far the ecu technology has come in just a few decades. 

In 1986 you could buy a turbocharged intercooled 175hp Dodge Omni GLHS (Goes Like Hell S'More) that had timing, boost control and more.  You could stop by the parts counter and buy a 205hp 240ft# Stade II computer for it or go for the Super 60 kit for it that made it 300hp w/300+ft#'s of torque.  It would do low 12's with just the Super 60 kit.

Stock it was faster then any Mustangs/Camaros/Firebirds or Corvettes.

It would eat that Saab for lunch and it's computer was wayyyyyy smarter.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MarkCRF450L said:

What Honda and Yamaha need to do is make a non restricted, fuel injected, 300 two stroke with electric start, hydraulic clutch, to complete with KTM. It will never happen just like they will never make a CR 500 again. It’s too bad because they gave the technology to do amazing things. If the market was truly there I think Honda and Yamaha would do it. Unfortunately the industry isn’t as strong as it used to be and prices for motorcycles are twice as much as they used to be.

I am torn, I don't want to contribute to a BS thread that all it does is teasing us, but I can't resist the urge ?

Dear Honda, take the 2007 CR250, the tooling has been amortized ages ago. Add a wide ratio 6 speed, e-start and make it a 300, all easy stuff for a giant like Honda. I mean, Gasgas which has the size of Honda's cafeteria can do it.

Then sit back and watch all those euros go out of business ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

SPOOOOGE!!!  
I think 125-350cc 2-stroke models would sell well, if Honda made them.  The 500cc 2-stroke is only for bragging rights... for whomever needs to brag about buying something like that.  Aside from specialties like hill climbing or sand/drag racing, you can't do anything with that much motor that you can't already do with a 250 to 350cc 2-stroke.  I never really understood the big bore smokers anyway, other than just saying WOW and then move on.
Also, I am told that 2-stroke fuel injection will soon take over the dirt biking world.  Yes it's been around for years but the major motorcycle manufacturers haven't done much with it, which I just don't understand.  Why would they sit on something like that?  Biding time till the market gets ripe?
With Honda's recent release of a 250cc 4-stroke, fuel injected, air cooled, electric start "CRF" trail bike, it looks like Honda is focusing its development elsewhere.
And yes, we all got trolled by the owner of thumpertalk.com ?

• Like 1

A stock CR500 put out around 55hp.  Now a stock KTM350 four stroke puts out 53hp, and the power curve is more useable.  Even back in the day 500’s didn’t sell enough for all of the main manufacturers to have one.  But if they made a CR300 with electric start, a counterbalance, and kept it at a reasonable weight (unlike that ridiculous attempt of a serious 450 dual sport), they’d be on to something...

The market is also missing a modern XR400. Put an electric start XR400 motor in a modern chassis with decent suspension and I’d buy one.  I don’t need maximum HP as I get older.  I want reliability and low maintenance, but my knees and riding level require good suspension. 

Edited by G.P.
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, G.P. said:

The market is also missing a modern XR400. Put an electric start XR400 motor in a modern chassis with decent suspension and I’d buy one.  I don’t need maximum HP as I get older.  I want reliability and low maintenance, but my knees and riding level require good suspension. 

This with turn signals, plate and a roller cam and I'll pre-order with a 10% premium in less than 5sec