2019 690 SMC r ABS light

Hi everybody.
Writing in english is not one of my strengths so i hope you all can understand me.

According to the manual the abs light should flash or blink when the abs is active during hard braking. Mine doesn´t!
I tried a few times braking hard with the rear wheel on gravel but no flashing light.
So i´m starting to wonder if there is anything wrong with the electronics on my bike.

There is no point for me to ask the dealer i bought it from since they cant tell the difference between a handle bar and a broom

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't noticed the ABS dash light lighting up as I'm generally too busy looking at my line when it happens, but I've definitely felt the upward pedal pulse/kick that the rear pedal gives you when you lock it up on the street... 

On 6/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, Kwota said:

I haven't noticed the ABS dash light lighting up as I'm generally too busy looking at my line when it happens, but I've definitely felt the upward pedal pulse/kick that the rear pedal gives you when you lock it up on the street... 

I have the 19' smc. It doesnt like up when everytime it uses abs. Its still definitely on, if you hold the button down you can turn it off in back. Its all good, OP. 

If you drive a car and hit the brakes hard you will see the abs icon on the dash flash if the abs is activated during hard the brake. Same thing with this bike, just look in the manual.
It is supposed to flash the same way like the TC Button does.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, Falk said:

If you drive a car and hit the brakes hard you will see the abs icon on the dash flash if the abs is activated during hard the brake. Same thing with this bike, just look in the manual.
It is supposed to flash the same way like the TC Button does.

The owners manual is pretty clear...the ABS light only comes on when moving if there is a problem, or if ABS is switched off, see screenshot below.  As others have already mentioned, the ABS light does not come on when ABS is actively functioning on my bike either.  Your bike is operating normally.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 5.45.12 PM.png

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 2:50 AM, RDA71 said:

The owners manual is pretty clear...the ABS light only comes on when moving if there is a problem, or if ABS is switched off, see screenshot below.  As others have already mentioned, the ABS light does not come on when ABS is actively functioning on my bike either.  Your bike is operating normally.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 5.45.12 PM.png

Just read the manual 6.12 OVERVIEW OF INDICATOR LAMPS

On 7/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, Falk said:

Just read the manual 6.12 OVERVIEW OF INDICATOR LAMPS

Hi Falk,

You can refer to whichever source of information, or section of the manual, you prefer.  If you want to go by the manual, I would suggest the full section on the ABS system (section 12.1) which uses much more complete language than the overview section you are referencing.  Section 12.1 (which I posted earlier) is quite clear, the ABS light only comes on when there is a problem, or when ABS has been manually switched off; there is no explanation that it comes on when ABS is functioning.  I know that this seems to disagree with the last sentence of section 6.12 that you are focusing on, but it matches with what I and others (and yourself...) are actually experiencing with the bikes.  It is certainly not the first time ever that an owners manual has inconsistent or confusing wording.  If none of this satisfies your curiosity, ask KTM directly through the 'contact' section on their corporate website.  I've found them to be responsive and helpful.

-R

I talked to my ktm dealer about that and the issue with turning off the TC.

And guess what...i am correct, the lamp shall flash.
My dealer made a call to ktm and they said that they are aware of the problem with the TC and the non flashing abs lamp. They said that it is a synchronizing problem with the abs and traction unit.

5 hours ago, Falk said:

I talked to my ktm dealer about that and the issue with turning off the TC.

And guess what...i am correct, the lamp shall flash.
My dealer made a call to ktm and they said that they are aware of the problem with the TC and the non flashing abs lamp. They said that it is a synchronizing problem with the abs and traction unit.

Sounds good.  You should definitely get that fixed.

• Like 1

If I buy a brand new and expensive bike I want everything to work no matter how small the issue is. 
Offroad oriented bikes of Yourapeen manufacture may not be for you. Kdm has a long history of beta testing its motorcycles by simply selling them to the public for outrageous sums, knowing that sunk cost fallacy allows them to crowd source their R&D.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Falk said:

If I buy a brand new and expensive bike I want everything to work no matter how small the issue is. 

I'm not convinced that you have an issue with your bike, as mine performs exactly as yours and my reading of the manual is like that of others on here, which sounds like the opposite to your reading. If you seek clarity, don't bother with your dealers, they only know what they read or guess, just like us owners. When I was buying my bike the dealership guy wanted to go get some tools to take off the seat- I showed him how to take the seat off having never seen a 2019 before. Go to the source. Email KTM and ask them directly what you should expect to see and get some real answers.

I thought I'd pass along a recent riding event...

I was riding down the highway at speed in a section with concrete dividers down the middle of the highway, when suddenly a guy in a big SUV going half my speed jumped an onramp into my through lane, sporting license plates from the other side of the country. He then slammed on his brakes. In my 2 decades of riding and track time I knew that there was nowhere for me to go around, and not enough road to do much of anything in except tense up for the impact. I was locked in. I was going to end up denting his rear end, fly through his rear window and slam into his dashboard. it was just that close and going to be that hard. The survivalist in me stepped in anyway, and I went 100% brake front and rear and I threw all four parachutes and two anchors out the back to try to slow down. It wasn't even going to be close. Thats when the bike bent the laws of physics and I matched his speed about an arm's length behind his rear bumper, and then I started dropping back. This could be the first time that I've ever had to do an emergency stop with ABS, let alone gen 2 ABS. With all my track riding time and years of seat time, I still can't comprehend how the bike stopped in time, but I can tell you right now that if there was a stupid blinking light shining in my face trying to distract me to let me know what I would obviously be feeling I would rip that light right out of the dash as no one needs that distraction when you're riding near or at the limit of traction. The ABS worked flawlessly for me. to be honest though, I couldn't tell you if it was blinking when this all went down as I was focused on more important things. These brakes are incredible.

6 hours ago, HellzyaaBuddy said:
13 hours ago, Falk said:
--

Offroad oriented bikes of Yourapeen manufacture may not be for you. Kdm has a long history of beta testing its motorcycles by simply selling them to the public for outrageous sums, knowing that sunk cost fallacy allows them to crowd source their R&D.

Actually I believe pretty much every manufacturer from every country works this way; you give it your best guess, hope your styling maxes out sales to the public, and if there's a noticeable repeated issue you generate a recall and fix it in the next generation where you incrementally improve styling and performance, follow the trends in metal finishes, colorways, street culture and try to increase sales. Repeat. 

• Like 1

Actually I believe pretty much every manufacturer from every country works this way; you give it your best guess, hope your styling maxes out sales to the public, and if there's a noticeable repeated issue you generate a recall and fix it in the next generation where you incrementally improve styling and performance, follow the trends in metal finishes, colorways, street culture and try to increase sales. Repeat. 
I don't know, I think the Japanese culture of shame and ritualized suicide plays a role in their releasing products which have been simplified and refined to absolute soullessness. Kdm certainly does more customer R&D than Honda. They also make new tech available and build bikes that people actually want, vs the flavorless reheated gruel Japanese companies serve us. But i guess if you can continue to sell a 20 year old bike at a profit, who cares, right Suzuki and Yamaha?