I was wondering if anyone has bought an "off the shelf" unloader brace?  If so, how long have you had it?  Are you still using it or did you find it really didn't work?

I am looking for a brace that will help the pain I am having in my knee, and everything points me to an unloader brace.

The doctor said the joint space in my knee is OK and I don't need a knee replacement, but I've got a cartilage defect on the medial side.  So far, he's said to just "deal with it".  So I know he won't recommend any brace, but I've got to do something to alleviate the pain.  I can't even be out walking for 30 minutes and my knee gets so painful, I can't stand it.... If a brace helps even a little, it would be worth it, but I wanted to get some opinions before I order one.

First I don’t use one. That out of the way, I do fabricate them design them and fit them. And I would say, as with most braces, results vary greatly. I think I’ve done maybe 50 unloader braces in the last 32 years of practice. Of those 50 I know of 4 out of the last ten that are still being regularly used.
The issues are how much unloading do you need to no longer be symptomatic, the practitioner working with you and your expectations. IF you can have a practitioner manually unload your knee with their hands that is a good way to get an understanding of how much force is needed. If you require a good amount of force to get the relief you seek, the OTS brace isn’t going to cut it a custom might but you can only do so much. You should be able to try a OTS and be able to return it if it doesn’t work after a few days.
Hope this helps you a little

Thanks for the info.  No, I don't think I need much unloading.  The downside is that the joint space in my knee is ok, so I don't need a knee replacement.  I do have a small spot where the articular cartilage is gone.  It sucks as I don't need a knee replacement, yet I am "too old" for a procedure such as OATS, etc.  The only option the doctor said I had was to live with the pain, and look at getting cortisone shots. And if the pain is too much, use crutches or a cane.

I'm to the point where I need "something" for everyday life now if I'm out and about for more than 30 minutes.  If I adjust how I walk, that helps, but then that might screw up the hip surgery I had in January. I don't want to start compensating to only cause more issues later.

A brace is the only other thing I can think of that might help offload some of the pressure/pain and give some stabilization to my knee.

Lastly, I am going to get a second opinion as I can't imagine there isn't something that can't be done to help my knee...I'm not going to live the rest of my life getting cortisone injections....

• Like 1

That might be able to be accomplished with a foot orthotic... where do you live?
I have a patented foot orthotic process and capture point that would quite possibly take care of this for you. My capture point is based on tibial rotation and knee joint interface